• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DownEast -Frame-Problem! Update.

Re: Down East -Polymer Alice Frame-Anyone use one??

LW, which one do you have? I just bought the 1606 for my large Alice. I'm going to try it out this weekend. I was thinking about designing my own pack for the 1609.

I use a mystery ranch pack frame for my xl alice pack. It works very well for anything I could hope to carry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CD0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LW, which one do you have? I just bought the 1606 for my large Alice. I'm going to try it out this weekend. I was thinking about designing my own pack for the 1609.
</div></div>

The 1606 is what I have now. The project keeps getting pushed back because of other issues. I really hope to get on it this winter when things slow down. Winter seems to be when I need a large pack the most and it will probably help drive the design.

1st time out with the frame and I have to say I was some what disappointed.

I loaded up with about 50-60lbs or so and went for a 2 mile trial walk around the neighborhood with my 6yr old boy. As soon as I tightened down the shoulder straps I could feel the second to the top cross bar/beam rubbing on my back. It rubbed my back raw in just 2 miles. I'm using the original kidney pad and long original style shoulder straps.

On the way back the last 1/4 mile I tried a camelbak under the pack which relieved the problem. What I'm going to end up doing is just extending the original alice pad to extend bellow the frame cross bar.

I might buy the pad set From DE that has the pads on the center of the back.

100_2286.jpg

100_2287.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the_contract</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a mystery ranch pack frame for my xl alice pack. It works very well for anything I could hope to carry. </div></div>

Do you have a link? I just looked and didn't find a frame.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CD0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the_contract</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a mystery ranch pack frame for my xl alice pack. It works very well for anything I could hope to carry. </div></div>

Do you have a link? I just looked and didn't find a frame. </div></div>

Here. The one for 100lbs plus is the one I bought.
http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7219/.f

I recieved this e-mail from Down East:

We have been exploring the issue you are having with our gear and I have two potential solutions to offer. First, if you chose, we will certainly take back anything you have purchased from us and are unhappy with and refund your money. As an alternative, we have mocked up an additional pad which
can be added to the system you have that we think will alleviate this issue. If you would be willing, we will send you this add on free of charge, and just ask you to share your feedback. If this fixes the problem, we would then make this a standard part of the conversion kit we sell. Please let me know what you would like to do.
Best regards,
Justin

I Should have the pad in a few days followed by a short review.

I took a piece 1" foam and attacked it with 550 cord, I didn't go for a hike with it but when I tried it out it seemed to work.

So far they have been great to work with. CS has been good!

Pis will follow.

I doubt that frame was ever designed to be used with the stock alice straps. The only solution i see is the use of an LBT or HSGI pad set like the ALLIPAD. I tried the same frame and ditched it because i didnt want to used the ALLIPAD and because it was difficult to wear with hard armor unlike the 1603 or the stock frame or the TAG one piece alice frame which ill most likely invest in..

I'm a masochist... but I changed out my ALICE kidney pad and straps for a MOLLE II kidney pad and MOLLE II shoulder strap set-up and actually like it very well so far. But I'm using a medium ALICE Radio pack and likely less weight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parallax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm a masochist... but I changed out my ALICE kidney pad and straps for a MOLLE II kidney pad and MOLLE II shoulder strap set-up and actually like it very well so far. But I'm using a medium ALICE Radio pack and likely less weight.

</div></div>
That is another thing I was thinking of doing but I don't have extra pads. Do you have pics?

I have one in my large ALICE, it's MUCH better than the standard metal frame. did a 3mile jog with it last week. it DOES flex with you and twist with your hips. As long as the shoulder straps are sorted out as in they dont pinch your neck / shoulders which is a common problem due to the shitty small opening on the top of the packs then you'll be ok. I've also found it to be 100% more comfortable again with your poof-mat in between the frame and your back. helps transfer some of the weight onto your back as opposed to the entire load on your shoulders and lumbar.

I blew a disc out so pack work is something I have to be careful about at times, this frame is much better.

Ok. Here is the new pad DE sent me along with the one I had made up. From what I understand they are going to include it with the frames depending on how it works. Which I think it will, mine did but I like there's better without trying it so far. I should be able to try it out this weekend.
100_2362.jpg
Pad I Made
100_2364.jpg

100_2365.jpg

New Pad
100_2367.jpg

100_2362.jpg