• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Downfall to leftys shooting righthanded rifle?

Chadt88

Private
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2020
What would be the downfall to a lefty shooting a right handed rifle in a match especially if thats all they have ever shot? Thanks for your help in advance

My youngest is left eye dominant and left handed. She has never fired anything lefty but does sometimes sneak a left eye over for pistol. She’s 9, soon I’ll probably find her something lefty but right now she can hold 1.5 MOA with her AR and for her age I can’t ask for more than that. YMMV

What they said. Your support hand does exactly that, support the rifle.

You’ll be switching hands as far as the support weight of the rifle and basically rebuilding your position much more than you want.

It won’t make your shots any better, or groups any smaller, but it speeds up transitions and decreases time between shots.

Watching a lefty shooter shoot a right handed rifle in PRS reminds me of a right handed person trying to throw a football left handed. It doesn’t look natural at all.

Thanks everyone, sounds like i will just be looking for a lefty rifle then. I appreciate the help

I shot right handed rifles for years. In prone it really sucks. But, if you're shooting from a seated or standing position with the rifle supported up front, you can really work that bolt quick with your right hand! It takes practice, but does work. Eventually I switched to left hand bolt guns exclusively and won't ever go back. 🤘🤘

I'm a lefty and it doesn't bother me much to shoot RH. I will say that I used to be very LH dominant and through actively trying to use my right hand for things more over time it helped with that. I'm also cross eye dominant so that makes a difference as well and is something to keep in mind. It's something that's so subjective I'd say work with it and see where it goes. You may be fine with it or totally not.

What would be the downfall to a lefty shooting a right handed rifle in a match especially if thats all they have ever shot? Thanks for your help in advance
I’m a lefty. Plenty of bolt options available and ambi stuff for AR platforms. My only real problem is scope windage adjustments.

I'm a lefty and left eye dominate. I shot a right handed 40XB for years before I got a left handed rifle. Since getting one, all my rifles are left handed and the 40XB sits in the back of the safe. A scene from one of my favorite movies shows how I looked shooting my 40XB with a 15X Unertle.

I ran a lefty rifle for my entire first season. I did pretty well. Even won a local match and did well at a few others.
Though, I did eventually switch to lefty setups and couldn't be happier.
When shooting a right handed rifle you have to break your shooting postion every time to cycle the bolt. Which doesn't really cost you time but it does cost you stability.
Once I switched to lefty it just became so much more natural.
Don't waste your time, just go lefty from the start. You'll eventually want to switch anyways

I ran a lefty rifle for my entire first season. I did pretty well. Even won a local match and did well at a few others.
Though, I did eventually switch to lefty setups and couldn't be happier.
When shooting a right handed rifle you have to break your shooting postion every time to cycle the bolt. Which doesn't really cost you time but it does cost you stability.
Once I switched to lefty it just became so much more natural.
Don't waste your time, just go lefty from the start. You'll eventually want to switch anyways

Depends. It will definitely add 1-2s per shot.

8-12s on a 90s stage is significant.

Depends. It will definitely add 1-2s per shot.

8-12s on a 90s stage is significant.
I respectfully disagree. Maybe for most people it does but it didn't for me. I could run a 10 round 10 position stage in 90 seconds and not time out generally and get at least most of my hits lol. I don't think it costs 2-3 seconds per position.
As when you release the trigger and run the bolt then reacquire your grip and 90 degree trigger pull (on a properly oriented rifle) it takes about the same amount of time as releasing your support hand, running the bolt, then resuming your support grip.
However there is no question that running a properly oriented rifle from the outset is the right way to go. Coming from somebody who knows.
Unless you have no choice, just get a left handed rifle.

There is one guy we shoot with that is a lefty but actually prefers a right handed rifle. He doesn't seem to have any issues keeping up with anyone.

struggling with this thought my self. i am lefty and from this post i need to build a left handed rifle for comp

Go lefty from the jump... In prone only a RH rifle isn't really that bad (at least not for me) in every other position, it sucks...

Reactions: Jrs9898
Just like everyone else, I started on right handed guns. Once I built a lefty, there was no turning back. Thank God I have a left eye dominant son.

I didn't bring enough ammo to a match a while back, and long story short I shot my friends 223ai for the last stage. It was an easier stage, and I did get 9/10, but like they said, I had to come off the gun and break position on every shot. No way in hell I would go back.

It sucks because I would love to have a pre 64, sake trg, and a few others for my collection, but I know I would never shoot them being right handed guns

Reactions: StrayDog
The downfall is, once you've built a solid position, you don't want to move your support hand to cycle the bolt each round.

Good point.

Saw a righty shooting a left hand rifle and kind of thought there would be a benefit - always being on the trigger - but agreed you would take longer reacqiring target when rear support is broken.

idnt consider your genius.

The only time you really get bound up is when you need to shoot slung up or unsupported. Teaching yourself to shoot from either shoulder comes in pretty handy sometimes.

I’ve only, ever shot a right handed rifle lefty. I did finally break down and have a lefty T3x on its way to me. I’m not sure how long it will take to adjust, but I’m looking forward to it

I’ve only, ever shot a right handed rifle lefty. I did finally break down and have a lefty T3x on its way to me. I’m not sure how long it will take to adjust, but I’m looking forward to it

The VERY first time you cycle the action, have someone take a photo - or, better yet, a video - and post it here so we can see the look of excstacy on your face.

The VERY first time you cycle the action, have someone take a photo - or, better yet, a video - and post it here so we can see the look of excstacy on your face.

I'm not so sure about that... while I can do some thing ambidextrously, I think the first time I try to work that bolt lefty, I'll be all thumbs

I have the same problem left eye dominant shooting right rifle. This will be my first season it’s going to have some fun if I like it enough next season I will get my first ever custom rifle and even in lefty lol.