• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

dpms 16 vs 20 vs 24 inch barrells

DAFAR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2003
Bremerton Washington
Hey guys I am just looking for some feedback. I have a 16 inch factory barrel dpms in 762x51. I would like to use this rifle as a steel plate match gun so I am considering a rebarrel job.
From the research I have done it seems that in a gas gun platform there is not much differance in ballistics once you go past 18 inchs. I would like to here from someone who has done some long range shooting with the 16 inch barrel or from someone who has spme actual knowledge about these differant barrel lengths.
so the main question is.
is it worth upgrading from a 16 to a 20 inch 308 ar barrel
or should I just jump to a 24 inch barrel

Re: dpms 16 vs 20 vs 24 inch barrells

18" is the magic number for the .308 to combust all/most of its powder in the tube.

I use a 16"MWS to 600y with great effectiveness on steel.
Expect ~2400fps with a 175SMK load.

For me it would depend on how you plan to use it and the distances being shot. If your matches are shot from a bench or from stationary positions I would consider the 24". However, if you will be moving around a lot definitely go with the shorter barrel. My 24" weighs 18 lbs dry and seems even heavier after carrying it around for a couple of days. In addition to that, it's difficult to shoot offhand if the need arises. As for velocity, 175 SMK's run about 2690 with 44.5g of Varget and it's very accurate for a factory gun.

I have not shot an 18" but I think it might offer the best compromise in terms of velocity and portability.

Dafar,

You should provide more input as to how you intend to employ your rifle and how it currently shoots.

For instance, what tell us
1. What type of match is this?
2. What distances are involved?
3. How big are the targets?
4. How much "mobility" is required in these matches? Will u be required to run and gun or will you shoot from prone position predominantly?
5. Do you reload? If not, unless you are very financially well off, your match days will be short lived due to cost of ammo. Furthermore, you dont actually know what type of accuracy your rifle is capable of, and shooting factory ammo makes it worse cause you'll never achieve top level accuracy.

I'm not trying to piss on your cheerios, however, if you give us more information, we can make better informed recommendations.

I want to add that i had a 24" barrel on my 308. They are heavy(10-11Lbs empty), but are better suited to shooting off-hand matches than a light 16" 308. They also offer the all important benefit of higher muzzle velocities, which will help you fight the wind better. A 16" 308 can shoot accurately out to 1,000yards, however, a longer barrel will shoot much better because the higher muzzle velocity will offset small changes in wind speed and direction.

You should factor about 20-25 fps per inch of barrel lost going from 16 to 24" barrel.