• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS 308 LR Range report

SScott

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
I just picked up a rifle off of Gun Broker, it is a DPMS LR that has the barrel fluted, threaded and chopped to 20", with a Troy rail installed. I also installed an RRA 2 stage trigger. It stated that it had less then 200 rounds down the pipe, and I would agree with the overall condition of the rifle and the slight rub marks on the bolt carrier.
After getting my Remington 5R to punch tiny groups out to 300 yards I wanted to take a walk on the wild side and try a gas gun. I looked real close at the Armalite, but I really didn't want to pony up the extra money for a new toy at this time, I had also heard a lot of good things about DPMS .308's so I thought I would give them a try.
The fit and finish is very good, the model I chose also has the dust cover and fwd assist. I threw a Bushnell 5 x 15 x 40 mildot on it to see how she would group. It weighs in at just under 12.5 lbs with scope.
The range was about 40 deg. and pretty calm. I first tried some 150 gr FMJ BT bullets that I bought from Midway shooting, loaded into Winchester FL sized brass, they printed about a 2 inch group. At this point I wasn't too impressed, and thinking that I may have made a mistake.
I next tried my go-to round for my bolt gun, 168 SMK , 44.7gr of Varget. It shot very well but was having cycling problems..........Duhhhh. This was only neck sized for my bolt gun, and I was lucky I didn't get one stuck in the chamber. LOL that Is why there is only 3 shots in that group. I next tried some test rounds that I loaded with advice off the "Hide" 175 gr SMK with 44 grains of Varget in FL sized Winchester brass. The rifle was in the middle of shooting within the 3/4 " diamond when I jerked the trigger on the last shot. I would say that I have a good starting point, and will do some load developement from here. I am also going to change the scope to a Bushnell 4200 6x24x50 tactical that I am in the process of buying from a Hide member.
I would be interested in hearing any comments as well as pet loads for a gas gun like this.
I did polish the feed ramps and lugs on the ejection side this morning, while at the range I chambered a round from the mag and then ejected it to see what it looked like and it had some scratches on the projectile. Now I am not sure if that was caused on the loading stage or the unloading stage. Enjoy, SScott
DPMS10.jpg

DPMStgt.jpg

Re: DPMS 308 LR Range report

Thanks for for the report. I just got my DPMS SASS and trying to develop a load for it.

The scratches on the brass are from the projectile being dragged across the lugs on the barrel extension as it's extracted.

168gr A-max over 43.0 gr Varget gets me a reapeatable 0.50 MoA when I do my part.
"
I'm running a Fulton Armory Titan FAR barrel on my LR-308

Keep working your loads, and keep us posted. Good lookin' rifle btw

Thanks for the info on the A-maxes, I will pick up a box in the future and give them a try.
The barrel is the factory barrel with work done to it, while polishing the feed ramps I couldn't help but notice how polished the chamber is, I think DPMS does nice work.
I think I see a new Magpul stock in my future, I am trying to get that SASS look.
I will keep you all posted.
SScott

This is mine....

2pq6pah.jpg

34zm0ya.jpg

Can is at my dealer....paperwork is with ATF.