• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS 308 Range Reports Wanted

5R_308

Private
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2008
Central Virginia
Was hoping to get some input from some fellow hide members as to the accuracy and groups from 300-600yds with the DPMS 308. I have been trying to decide if i need a 24" stainless model or stick with my bolt gun. Would love to see some groups from these distances and hear some feedback on these guns. Thanks in advance.
grin.gif

Re: DPMS 308 Range Reports Wanted

My 24" LR .308 is a solid 3/4-1 MOA shooter that will print an occasional 1/2 MOA group. I have been very pleased with mine - it is factory stock except for a RRA NM trigger. It likes the same load(44.0 gr R15, 175SMK, Fed 210 and Win brass) as my other .308's so I will definitely hang onto it. It was money well spent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 5R_308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was hoping to get some input from some fellow hide members as to the accuracy and groups from 300-600yds with the DPMS 308. I have been trying to decide if i need a 24" stainless model or stick with my bolt gun. Would love to see some groups from these distances and hear some feedback on these guns. Thanks in advance.
grin.gif
</div></div>

I applaud you for starting a new thread with your specific question. I recall you raising in the other DPMS 308 thread.

But I beleive your question is wrong headed.

Barrel length makes VERY LITTLE difference in accuracy. It primarily affects velocity (which affects bullet drop, but mostly out past 800 yards in a 308) .

Most any barrel from 18 - 24 inch can reach out to 800 yards in a .308 with consistent accuracy.

A .308 rifle that groups at 100 is gonna group at 600.

My personal experience with the DPMS 308 is at 200 yards. It groups from 1" to 1.5" (0.50 to 0.75 MoA) with good handloads provided I do my part. My barrel is 18"

34zm0ya.jpg

No, you do not need a 24" barrel to group well at 600 yards. 18-20" will do fine.

If that doesn't suffice, I'll defer to those who have the specific rifles you are inquiring about.

Well, sounds as if these things for the most part are pretty dang good right out of the box. William Roscoe mentioned in the other thread that his was stock and had only lapped the lugs and polished the feed ramps and was getting as good as .5moa feeding from the mag, and as good as .3 by hand feeding it one at a time. From the sounds of what everyone is saying, it looks like my wallet is going to be quite a bit lighter soon after getting one of these and some decent glass to put on it.
Thanks for the input guys, now i'm gonna have to eat bologna for a while to pay for this thing.
smile.gif

Stock early DPMS .308 with a JP trigger. Mine wants to shoot moa with Fed GM and handloads but usually doesn't. It's hard on brass and has a muzzle heavy feel. It won't shoot groups as tight as any of my factory Remingtons that have been bedded.

So, off the bench, where you don't notice the muzzle heavy feel, it's not as much fun as a bolt gun. But who cares. In the field it shoots tight enough I don't notice the difference in accuracy and I don't have to run the bolt. In field positions the heavy front is noticed.

I shoot my bolt guns lots more. The barrel will get shorter.

2cents.