• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS .308 Recon accuracy

Jeff in TX

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2004
McKinney, TX
Looking to pick up a DPMS .308 Recon upper/barrel assembly and was wondering what type of accuracy to expect at 100 yards. Won't be shooting open sight as this rifle will where good glass though not sure what scope yet?

I damn near purchased one of these when they first came out / first started my .308 AR path and the only reason why I don't have one now is it was on backorder and I ended up saying screw it, got a return on the backorder, and purchased the LMT that I have this very day (paid $2400 for my LMT)... Although I'm glad I got the LMT, I'd bet the DPMS recon would be a good bang for your buck upper especially if you got a "diamond in the rough".... I've never fired a DPMS recon, but my best guess would be 2 to 1.5 moa.... You might be able to push sub-moa with load development and you doing your part, but that might be pushing it.... you would need a 14x plus scope to push sub-moa most likely. That would be my best guess... you never know tho!! you might get lucky with a shooter... You will never know until you get about 200rounds down the tube. It has a couple things going for it. Mid-length tube, SS barrel, and free-float handguard, so it is heading in the right direction.... it has a 16" barrel, but I've seen many people on the hide do some impressive stuff with 16" barrels.

Looking to pick up a DPMS .308 Recon upper/barrel assembly and was wondering what type of accuracy to expect at 100 yards. Won't be shooting open sight as this rifle will where good glass though not sure what scope yet?

Last edited:
I bought a DPMS .308 Recon a few months ago (upper) and was temporarily using my DPMS LR 6.5 Creedmoor lower ..... I just completed building a DPMS .308 stripped lower with the accessories I wanted on it. First of all it shoots FMJ o.k. it shot some reloads o.k. BUT...when I used Hornady 155 grain A-Max bullets with Varget powder I shot two targets side by side 5 shots on each target .....both targets had 4 shots in 3/16" with one flier which opened the groups to 3/4" at 100 yards shooting from the bench. I have a Geissele SSA trigger and the scope is a Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 4.5x14x50mm on Warne Tactical 30mm Ultra-High steel rings. I was surprised to see this after seeing 3/4" - 1 1/2" groups with my other loads. I was about to throw in the towel until now. Because I have been spoiled by the DPMS LR 6.5 Creedmoor's accuracy (2.5" @ 600 yards 5 shot groups) so now I need to try the recon at 600 yards with the bigger scope off the Creedmoor, start with the 155's and go up in weight from there. YMMV