• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS 6.5 CREEDMOOR

DIESEL758

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2010
texas, san antonio
First of all i did a search and cant find much about it, that being said i have a dpms 308 sass and will buying another dpms 308 from a member, my question is this 6.5 creedmoor a good rifle for say 600 to 800 yard kills, being hogs,deer,elk,mule deer. Does this gun have enough punch to knock one of these animals down at that range assuming the first shot is the kill shot.

Re: DPMS 6.5 CREEDMOOR

Hell yeah!!! Shoot some AMAX and you will turn them into mush!!

ok, well how is this compared to the dpms 308? I guess what i mean is if this gun does the same thing as my 308 is it worth it? I did a little reading and this was made for long range shooting but really never says anything about live kills ie: animals. My 308 has no prob killing hogs at 800 yards.

the 6.5mm Creedmoor is more of a flatter shooting cartridge than the 308.

That makes it great for some types of hunting, but I'd be concerned in trying to harvest a big bull elk at 800 yards with <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">either</span></span> the 6.5 Creedmoor or a 308. Up here in the Pacific Northwest, the elk can get pretty big.

Most of the big elk hunting done at a distance of 800 yards is more typically accomplished with magnums. It's much more realistic to humanely harvest elk with a magnum than with either a 308 or a 6.5 Creedmoor.

What projectile are you shooting and what muzzle velocity are you getting from the 308? That calculation will give you the terminal ballistics of your 308. What level of terminal ballistics do you need to get out of the 6.5mm Creedmoor to have to make it "worth it" for you?

I think the answer you are looking for is more likely to be found on the Long Range Hunting forum than here on the Hide.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/

If you shoot the 140 amax out of the 6.5 you still have 1000ft/lbs of energy out to 675yards, at 1000 you will have 611.

Most people say that 1000 ft/lb of energy is needed for a humane kill on a deer sized animal.

Hope this helps.

I haven't had any problems taking down a elk, i harvested a New Mexico 6x6 bull last year from 730 yards with the 308. Kinda experimental, usually hunt with a 7mag or 50bmg more so the 7mag. I am a avid hunter, i do not do alot of target shooting but it something that i am wanting to get into, i love long range shooting. I am just getting all this mil/mil stuff, i am old school put the gun up shoot if you dont hit it shoot again, i have killed a few bull elk and mule deer at 1000 plus yards. I guess i should have worded the question better i am just looking for a gun really to take down hogs from long distances the 308 has no problems but was just interested in the 6.5 creedmoor, just want something different and dont want to buy something that wont get the job done. Sorry for all the babble.