• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS Accuracy?

Meat Hunter

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 1, 2011
SE TN
I have been shooting a box stock 16" RRA 223 for a little while and liked the accuracy but not the down range power. I friend of mine bought a DMPS Sportical 16" stock rifle. I shot his rifle with Hornady Superformance 165 gr ammo and consistantly shot sub moa. He can consistantly shoot sub 3/4 moa with the gun and ammo.
I go shopping for an AR style .308 and come up with what I thought was a better rifle. The one I have in my signature. DMPS LR308B with factory fluted 18" bull barrel. I have only shot sub moa a couple times even with the better trigger and the NF scope. I want better accuracy consistantly.
My question is, would I be better off changing out the barrel to something better than factory or would I be better off getting a different better quality rifle altogether? I plan to mostly punch paper and hunt some but I want tack driving accuracy if at all possible. No longer distances than maybe 500 yds.

Re: DPMS Accuracy?

there is alot of differnet variables, i love my LR308 but i hardly ever shoot sub MOA i hang around 1"-1 1/2" its hard to shoot sub with a stock rifle.

If you were able to shoot sub groups with his then the variables change some what. Are you using the same ammo? If so try something a little heavier, the 1-10 twist loves 168-175 so maybe get some 175's and see what happens. Were you a sub group shooter before you shot your friends gun? If not mechanics may still play a role. I know DPMS doesn't make OBR's but the 3 barrels I have from them (260 Rem, 308 Win, 338 Fed) all are very good shooters. It is possible that you didn't get a very good barrel. If the groups are big enough and assuming the rifle is still fairly new they'll replace it through the warranty. If you don't want to deal with that headache Rainer has their select 308 barrels available as well as their ultra match (depends on how much accuracy you want to pay for).

My Remington r25 (LR308 to remington specs) is a tact driver at 100 yards. at 200 yards its still spot on, but not sub.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RuLins05</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you were able to shoot sub groups with his then the variables change some what. Are you using the same ammo? If so try something a little heavier, the 1-10 twist loves 168-175 so maybe get some 175's and see what happens. Were you a sub group shooter before you shot your friends gun? If not mechanics may still play a role. I know DPMS doesn't make OBR's but the 3 barrels I have from them (260 Rem, 308 Win, 338 Fed) all are very good shooters. It is possible that you didn't get a very good barrel. If the groups are big enough and assuming the rifle is still fairly new they'll replace it through the warranty. If you don't want to deal with that headache Rainer has their select 308 barrels available as well as their ultra match (depends on how much accuracy you want to pay for). </div></div>

I can shoot sub moa when everything is right. I can do .750 moa pretty much anytime with my RRA .223 and FGGM ammo when there is no wind. The mechanics on this DPMS is a little different but not that much. I am really thinking the Harris bipod I have might be part of the problem. For whatever reason I cannot keep it tight, 3 or 4 shots and the setscrew gets loose. I will work on trying to keep it tight somehow on my next range trip.

How many rounds through it?

I have a SASS and hated it until recently. It was grouping 1.5" with handloads and really terrible with other stuff.

Finally dialed in a load of:
42.8 Grains H4895; with 168 Nosler Custom Comp HPBT; CCI BR2 Primer in a Winchester Case.

With that load shot a 5-shot group with 2 inch vertical spread and 6 inch horizontal spread group at 600 yards yesterday. This in a 1/2 value 15 mph wind with gusts to 20.

The gun did not really begin to perform until I had a couple hundred rounds through it.

Give it some time and they usually shoot better.

BTW, did not break in according to directions. Took it out and shot it. Cleaned it a few time. I keep the chamber clean, but the barrel is another story.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: himaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many rounds through it?

I have a SASS and hated it until recently. It was grouping 1.5" with handloads and really terrible with other stuff.

Finally dialed in a load of:
42.8 Grains H4895; with 168 Nosler Custom Comp HPBT; CCI BR2 Primer in a Winchester Case.

With that load shot a 5-shot group with 2 inch vertical spread and 6 inch horizontal spread group at 600 yards yesterday. This in a 1/2 value 15 mph wind with gusts to 20.

The gun did not really begin to perform until I had a couple hundred rounds through it.

Give it some time and they usually shoot better.

BTW, did not break in according to directions. Took it out and shot it. Cleaned it a few time. I keep the chamber clean, but the barrel is another story. </div></div>

I only have 80 rounds through my gun. I bought it from JSE Surplus and Nick who works there told me the same thing. He said I needed around 300 rounds through it before it got to peak accuracy. I hope this is the case.

There have been quite a few discussions on the accuracy of the LR-308 that might help you. To help ya out try searching LR-308 or view my post. I also researched before buying I have the 24" heavy barrel, and mine is a tack driver.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Meat Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been shooting a box stock 16" RRA 223 for a little while and liked the accuracy but not the down range power. I friend of mine bought a DMPS Sportical 16" stock rifle. I shot his rifle with Hornady Superformance 165 gr ammo and consistantly shot sub moa. He can consistantly shoot sub 3/4 moa with the gun and ammo.
I go shopping for an AR style .308 and come up with what I thought was a better rifle. The one I have in my signature. DMPS LR308B with factory fluted 18" bull barrel. I have only shot sub moa a couple times even with the better trigger and the NF scope. I want better accuracy consistantly.
My question is, would I be better off changing out the barrel to something better than factory or would I be better off getting a different better quality rifle altogether? I plan to mostly punch paper and hunt some but I want tack driving accuracy if at all possible. No longer distances than maybe 500 yds.
</div></div>

Here's a question for you, what is your aggregate grouping experience with other rifles? BTW, tack driving accuracy is all about you. Unless your rifle is broken or ammunition is defective the bullet will always go in the direction the barrel is pointed. Knowing where the barrel is pointed is about properly pointing the rifle with consistent sight alignment and pulling the trigger without disturbing aim utilizing smooth trigger control. Everything else supports those two concepts. A consistent position is the sum of everything else.

What I'm getting at here is although the rifle and ammunition are important, consider too your relationship to the gun and ground. It's this relationship which is most important to good shooting. You can build a superb rifle and load it with exceptionally massaged ammunition; but, unless you re-build your relationship to the gun and ground between shots to a molecularly identical consistency, groups like that which you describe will be logical. How could it be otherwise, after all that's what happens when recoil becomes divergent as a result of not maintaining consistent control of the firearm during follow-through.

There are five factors to a steady position: elbows, non-firing hand, grip, stock-weld, and butt-to-shoulder. Developing motor memory to honor these will take your shooting to the highest plateaus. Learn something about the effects of temperature, slope, wind, gravity, and drag; and, you'll get dazzling results to whatever distance the bullet can get to nose-on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Meat Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been shooting a box stock 16" RRA 223 for a little while and liked the accuracy but not the down range power. I friend of mine bought a DMPS Sportical 16" stock rifle. I shot his rifle with Hornady Superformance 165 gr ammo and consistantly shot sub moa. He can consistantly shoot sub 3/4 moa with the gun and ammo.
</div></div>

Here's a question for you, what is your aggregate grouping experience with other rifles? BTW, tack driving accuracy is all about you. Unless your rifle is broken or ammunition is defective the bullet will always go in the direction the barrel is pointed. Knowing where the barrel is pointed is about properly pointing the rifle with consistent sight alignment and pulling the trigger without disturbing aim utilizing smooth trigger control. Everything else supports those two concepts. A consistent position is the sum of everything else.

What I'm getting at here is although the rifle and ammunition are important, consider too your relationship to the gun and ground. It's this relationship which is most important to good shooting. You can build a superb rifle and load it with exceptionally massaged ammunition; but, unless you re-build your relationship to the gun and ground between shots to a molecularly identical consistency, groups like that which you describe will be logical. How could it be otherwise, after all that's what happens when recoil becomes divergent as a result of not maintaining consistent control of the firearm during follow-through.

There are five factors to a steady position: elbows, non-firing hand, grip, stock-weld, and butt-to-shoulder. Developing motor memory to honor these will take your shooting to the highest plateaus. Learn something about the effects of temperature, slope, wind, gravity, and drag; and, you'll get dazzling results to whatever distance the bullet can get to nose-on. </div></div>

My aggragate groups with good guns and good ammo is pretty good. I competed in BR 50 rimfire competitions for a couple years. I was not the best by any stretch but I was consistantly in the top 25% of shooters in the field of 40-50 shooters.

I went through several rifles and dozens or different ammo choices before I was competitive. I understand the mechanics thing and also know that like most folks I have lots of room for improvement. That said though if any gun could get the job done in the right hands then these companies that make $2000-$6000 rifles would be out of business.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zebra308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There have been quite a few discussions on the accuracy of the LR-308 that might help you. To help ya out try searching LR-308 or view my post. I also researched before buying I have the 24" heavy barrel, and mine is a tack driver. </div></div>

Other than reading a few posts on some other boards I did not research my rifle a whole lot. I joined here after the fact or I likely would have gone a different route. I will make my gunshoot well thanks to the help of several guys on here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Meat Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Meat Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been shooting a box stock 16" RRA 223 for a little while and liked the accuracy but not the down range power. I friend of mine bought a DMPS Sportical 16" stock rifle. I shot his rifle with Hornady Superformance 165 gr ammo and consistantly shot sub moa. He can consistantly shoot sub 3/4 moa with the gun and ammo.
</div></div>

There are five factors to a steady position: elbows, non-firing hand, grip, stock-weld, and butt-to-shoulder. Developing motor memory to honor these will take your shooting to the highest plateaus. Learn something about the effects of temperature, slope, wind, gravity, and drag; and, you'll get dazzling results to whatever distance the bullet can get to nose-on. </div></div>

I went through several rifles and dozens or different ammo choices before I was competitive. I understand the mechanics thing and also know that like most folks I have lots of room for improvement. That said though if any gun could get the job done in the right hands then these companies that make $2000-$6000 rifles would be out of business. </div></div>

If more folks realized that it's all about the shooter and not the stick, then yes, the folks that make the rifles you describe would likely be out of business.

With the Gold Medal stuff I pulled a .5 MOA at 100 with my DPMS 308B, generally with my general handloads (not a lot of thought or care in them) I see Sub-MOA regularly.

I have a Bill Springfield tweaked trigger.

Not a lot of accuracy work with my AP4 Battle Rifle, however initial testing produced groups under 1" with most good ammo.