• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS aluminum mags in GAP-10?

par0thead151

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2010
are these reliable in GA precisions GAP10?
i have a few p mags but want to get alloy ones to put away for the long term, as i dont trust plastic to last into my childrens and grand childrens generation
midway has steel DPMS 20 roumd AR10 mags, and RSR has aluminum DPMS 20 round ar10 mags.
is this aluminum vs steel a typeO on midway or SRS's part? or do they make both?
if so which is better?

sorry for the million questions, i just want to get my mag situation taken care of before 2014 midterm elections possible panic
thanks

I have had hit-and-miss reliability with DPMS LR-308 mags over the years and have instead switched over to PMAGs almost exclusively because of those issues which have always been 100% reliable for me across a wide range of platforms/rifles. I still have a couple DPMS steel mags, as well as a few older C-Products mags, which have eventually proven reliable for me over the years that I keep around though.

If you opt for the steel, DPMS mags (the DPMS-branded, factory mags ARE heat-treated, 1050 steel with mang. phosphated/parkerized finish...not alloy/aluminum), just be sure to thoroughly test them to ensure that they are ok in your rifle because if you do run into problems with their mags, DPMS will take care of you with replacing them (ask me how I know ;) ). Stay well clear of the garbage Pro-Mag, AR Stoner, etc. mags though as they are junk.

i ordered up a bunch, midway has them on wholesale, 19$ as they are discontinuing them?