• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing DPMS barrel in Armalite AR10

Shaun Miller

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2006
Utah
Can you put a DPMS LR308 barrel in an Armalite AR10 upper? If so which bolt and carrier do you use?

Re: DPMS barrel in Armalite AR10

there is a guy that did this and wrote about it in detail. actually there are a bunch of posts about this. i found them using search. ill give you a hint ... lonewolf was part of his name here.

its decent. it works. i shot 154 rnds and took it all apart. sent the action out to get timed and tuned. ill put it back together, skim bed it and start all over. i got it on target in 3 shots. then messed it up zeroing the caps. but its way better than the broken one i first got, lol. it was clear, it was bright. i shot til it was too dark to see and it was raining. i can see detail using it to look at houses blocks away that just have the porch lights on. just looking around the neighborhood while i was outside laying in the yard. that sounds funny...

to the OP, really, i am building a 308 dpms and there is a list of stuff thats different. i used lr308 looking for barrels and found the list of stuff thats different between armalite and dpms. its listed in a few places. if you cant find it, let me know

i hate to say whats stuck in my head, cause i cant say its right, but i think a 308 ar barrel is a 308 ar barrel until the headspace is set. i know the threads on the upper are different for DPMS and armalite so you need a barrel nut specific to each. using an armalite bolt on a dpms factory barrel or vice versa with dpms bolt and armalite barrel, thats where it might matter. i just cant recall the actual stuff i read as it didnt pertain to my build. when i called kreiger and another place they both want my bolt to build me a barrel. i think thats to set headspace, but again i am unsure. ar15.com has the info and someone posted the link to all the FAQs and stuff about this here on the hide, but finding the right keyword is the killer