• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing dpms chambering issue

shamma

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2009
Las Vegas
my dpms lr 308 rifle does not go into full battery on occasion. when i pull the charging handle to eject the round to inspect it, there is a scratch mark on the side of the case. this happens with the reloads and commercial rounds. i have been told to use a finish reamer and it will clear my problem up. is there any other suggestions?

Re: dpms chambering issue

Take it to a smith! do not use a finish reamer to fix the problem if you do not know what you are doing.

How often is "occasional"?

The round probably has a scratch on it due to the ejector pushing it to the side of the chamber and scratching it upon entry into the chamber mouth.

This can be fixed by taking the square edge off the mouth of the chamber ever so slightly, but I woudn't do it myself if I didn't have a solid machining background.

From what you're describing, I think touching it with a chamber reamer is a VERY BAD IDEA.

Take some pictures for us to see the scratches you're talking about.

Also, the AR action has a forward assist on it for a reason, why some AR10's don't is a mystery to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How often is "occasional"?

The round probably has a scratch on it due to the ejector pushing it to the side of the chamber and scratching it upon entry into the chamber mouth.

This can be fixed by taking the square edge off the mouth of the chamber ever so slightly, but I woudn't do it myself if I didn't have a solid machining background.

From what you're describing, I think touching it with a chamber reamer is a VERY BAD IDEA.

Take some pictures for us to see the scratches you're talking about.

Also, the AR action has a forward assist on it for a reason, why some AR10's don't is a mystery to me. </div></div>

I agree. Chances are the case is being scratch on the way in not from the chamber wall, or on the way out.

Get it inspected and see. If there is an issue with the chamber wall chances are it could be polished out.

Have been around one 308 that did that and my .243 scratched and dented the crap out of the casing side where it angles toward the necks also, mainly from the sharp feed ramp edges, failures to feed into the chmaber were common for awhile. Both were fine with no further issues after about 100-150 rnds. Over oil'd things during that time period also, after that....they didn't need near as much oil. Have heard of some others that just needed shot for awhile also, to run.