• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS DOuble feed problem

stan462

Minuteman
Mar 3, 2008
Las Vegas
I shot a friends DPMS today and it was having various double feed problems. I tried two different mags, Metal ones and P-20 Mag. I also used various brands of ammo. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

check the gas tube key on top of the BCG, it was loose, jut had this issue with a brand new SASS, wasn't double feeding per se but had two rounds popping out of the Magazine and causing a jam. Strangest thing. DPMS fixing now.

check the gas tube key on top of the BCG, it was loose, jut had this issue with a brand new SASS, wasn't double feeding per se but had two rounds popping out of the Magazine and causing a jam. Strangest thing. DPMS fixing now.

Nomenclature Nazi... There is no such part. There is however a carrier key and a gas tube. Two rounds "popping" out of the magazine causing a jam is a double feed per se. Just sayin'...

I was in fact referring to myself as such. I guess I wasn't clear enough. I'll try and spell it out for you next time. Apologies...

As mentioned, a double feed (not a failure to extract) is usually caused by a bad magazine. It can also happen when you have a bad/weak buffer spring or the rifle is over gassed and the carrier is slamming so hard it jars a round out and then feeds one.

I'm having the same issue with a newly issued same gun. However, it seemed to only double feed with 180gr FMJ loads, 168gr A-Max fed just fine. (This is the only ammo tested so far). This occurred in both factory DPMS mags. When I clean it today I will inspect carrier key area. Buffer/bolt does seem to ride forward with what seems to be a lot of force. (Not real thrilled with the DPMS followers, seem kind of wimpy/to flexible) any links to anti-tilt followers?

I'm having the same issue with a newly issued same gun. However, it seemed to only double feed with 180gr FMJ loads, 168gr A-Max fed just fine. (This is the only ammo tested so far). This occurred in both factory DPMS mags. When I clean it today I will inspect carrier key area. Buffer/bolt does seem to ride forward with what seems to be a lot of force. (Not real thrilled with the DPMS followers, seem kind of wimpy/to flexible) any links to anti-tilt followers?

I'm not aware of any aftermarket followers for DPMS magazines. The carrier key has nothing to do with a double feed. Two cartridges getting released into the action simultaneously is a magazine problem. If you try 100 new magazines and still have the same problem, it's still the magazine. The strength of the feed lips should be sufficient to retain cartridges during all phases in the cycle of operation. PMAG's should be your next purchase.

Ya, two new pmags are definately the next step. Here soon I'm testing some 180gr accubonds , so well see how those feed, as I had no issues with the amax. But I would still feel better knowing the pmags are reliable.

I shot a friends DPMS today and it was having various double feed problems. I tried two different mags, Metal ones and P-20 Mag. I also used various brands of ammo. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Stan,

I'm sorry for your troubles, and this post of mine is not going to solve it for you. But it may help you along the road to finding a solution.

You are not a new poster, and you have been around for a while, and I know this is not your first rodeo.

And I know you want and need some help, and I'm also sure there are many folks here on the Hide ready, willing and able to provide you the help you need.

But first before we can help you, you need to help us out.....to wit

- Is this a new out of the box rifle on it's first firing, or a used rifle that worked or did not work before?

- What rifle model? other than just DPMS as they have at least different 8 models.

- What caliber? DPMS makes them in at least 6 different calibers. Does it make a difference what caliber? Only maybe if you want the problem solved, in any case it never hurts to know what caliber your actually shooting.

- Metal mags ? Really?? That's a description of the suspect, not an identification of the most likely source of the trouble.

- Various brand of Ammo? Factory or hand loads? Type, bullet weight, you know pesky little fucking details....

Last edited: