• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS Free Float installation question

Boondocker308

Private
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2010
North Idaho
I'm in the process of swapping my slick side LR-308 reciever out for a flattop style. The factory free float is being replaced with a DPMS quad rail tube (pictured below) and it came with no instructions. I'll put a little moly grease on the internal threads of the barrel nut before I torque it to 50-80 ft lbs. My question is the lock collar... should it be greased as well or is a dab or blue loctite a good idea? Does anyone know of a spanner wrench available for this? Thanks for your help!
dpmsfreefloat.jpg

Re: DPMS Free Float installation question

I installed a yankee hill which looks identical to your setup. When I installed mine I put a dab of copper never seize on the upper reciever threads and a dab on the collar nut as well. To tighten the collar nut I used a brass drift. In my opinion if you ever intend to take it apart stay away from loctite. With aluminum your biggest concern is the threads galling or corroding.
If you properly tighten the collar down it should stay together fine without loctite. I threw my loctite away along time ago and have yet to have anything that was properly torqued down come apart.