• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS Gen 2 compatible vice mounts (reaction rod/upper block)?

Vynz

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2022
Alabama, United States
Hello everyone,

I have been looking for a DPMS Gen2 compatible reaction rod for mounting barrels. I currently have DPMS Gen1 and AR15/M4 reaction rods from Midwest Industries - neither are compatible. Would someone point me in the right direction to purchase DPMS Gen2 compatible tools? My google searching has come up short for the past week and a half.

Thanks!

Good luck. As far as I know there isn't one. The g2 doesn't really have much of any type of support or aftermarket for the proprietary parts of it beyond what was offered prior to dpms essentially abandoning it

Nobody made/makes a reaction rod. DPMS/Panther made a G2 "claw", but good luck finding one. There is a shop that's talking about making G2 reaction rods, and might do a custom, but it'll be expensive. Your best bet is to use a 308 upper block set and machine the takedown slot to fit. Sandwich it in the vise jaws, don't stand it up stressing the lugs. Squirrel Daddy for the 308 blocks.
MItuz1fl.jpg

Reactions: Vynz
Thanks! I’ll check it out. Also what shop is talking about doing a reaction rod? I’ll send them an email.
Fairly obscure small shop that makes G2 parts out of titanium. https://www.defense-depot.com/
ETA: JJE Capital Holdings, parent company of PSA, bought the rights to DPMS/Panther Arms in the Remington bankruptcy sale. They're currently producing AR-15 products and have stated they will produce the G2 in the future. There are a couple of companies that licensed the G2 and produce their versions, but they don't like to support anything beyond their own versions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vynz
Thank you for your help! Hopefully with PSA there will be more support in the future. I’ve also been sending out a few emails. Here is one that may be of interest to any one looking for any support currently. I’m going to buy one of these; I’ll update the thread when I get it as to if it works or not.

CBB1EECB-6A00-484F-9D02-8AF9F994B41E.jpeg

Holding an AR type BARREL with a reaction rod, a barrel vise or anything else is absolutely incorrect for changing barrels. When the barrel is held it puts rotational torque on the index pin and index pin slot which can result in canted front sights, misaligned barrel extensions, damaged index pins and a damaged index pin slot in the receiver.
If the receiver is held it puts the majority of the torque on the receiver itself and greatly lessens the chance of twisting the barrel in the receiver and the resulting damage.
There are many publications that have instructions to hold the barrel. Some of these same publications recommend beating on the front sight tower with a hammer to correct cant. Don't jack up your rifle. Think about what happens when applying torque to the barrel nut.

Last edited:
Fairly obscure small shop that makes G2 parts out of titanium. https://www.defense-depot.com/
ETA: JJE Capital Holdings, parent company of PSA, bought the rights to DPMS/Panther Arms in the Remington bankruptcy sale. They're currently producing AR-15 products and have stated they will produce the G2 in the future.
PSA has been producing the G2. They call it a PX-10 instead of PA-10. But I've never seen them offer any spare parts for them and even the rifles will sell out quick.

Hi Mike!

I saw those a while back when I was originally looking for a DPMS Gen2. I remember emailing PSA around 2019-20 as it was never in stock and they said they no longer made the rifle. Later on a different forum I read, and this could be totally wrong, DPMS/Remington went after PSA as the PX-10 wasn’t a licensed Gen2 build forcing them halt production. Hopefully with their acquisition of the Gen2 rights they either have or will start making it again.

MJC,

I didn’t know, thanks for the advice. Some of the reaction rods I have include a “sail” to keep the receiver from moving around as well. Do you recommend against using those as well?

Hi Mike!

I saw those a while back when I was originally looking for a DPMS Gen2. I remember emailing PSA around 2019-20 as it was never in stock and they said they no longer made the rifle. Later on a different forum I read, and this could be totally wrong, DPMS/Remington went after PSA as the PX-10 wasn’t a licensed Gen2 build forcing them halt production. Hopefully with their acquisition of the Gen2 rights they either have or will start making it again.

I bought one, in July of '18 for cheap.

PSA PX-10 18" Mid-Length .308 WIN Stainless Steel 16.5" M-Lok Lightweight MOE CTR EPT Rifle - 5165448727
5165448727​
1​
$599.99​
Shipping & Handling​
$17.00​
Grand Total (Excl.Tax)
$616.99
Tax​
$0.00​
Grand Total (Incl.Tax)
$616.99

It seems like they were being built and in stock, then always out of stock, then I finally got it. But after getting this, it was quite a bit of time before I saw them in stock again.

MJC,

I didn’t know, thanks for the advice. Some of the reaction rods I have include a “sail” to keep the receiver from moving around as well. Do you recommend against using those as well?
Your welcome.
I don't know about the sail piece. I suppose it might prevent any problems. I built a fixture that will hold pretty much any AR15 or AR10 upper, flat top or carry handle style.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help! Hopefully with PSA there will be more support in the future. I’ve also been sending out a few emails. Here is one that may be of interest to any one looking for any support currently. I’m going to buy one of these; I’ll update the thread when I get it as to if it works or not.

View attachment 7857182
Any updates?

Any updates?
Yes!

I found this and ordered it:

Was waiting on it to arrive and test before recommending it as a usable solution.

I have a Zev-10 Small Frame and if this works it should allow me to maintain the rifle with barrels from Craddock Precision (I need to send them photos of the Zev barrel extension to be sure). I spoke with u/Signashir on Reddit from Defense Depot and they are making bolts. So this rifle went from a possible dead end to a hopeful future outlook.

Last edited:
Yes!

I found this and ordered it:

Was waiting on it to arrive and test before recommending it as a usable solution.

I have a Zev-10 Small Frame and if this works it should allow me to maintain the rifle with barrels from Craddock Precision (I need to send them photos of the Zev barrel extension to be sure). I spoke with u/Signashir on Reddit from Defense Depot and they are making bolts. So this rifle went from a possible dead end to a hopeful future outlook.
Thanks. I was more interested in how the Geissele large frame reaction rod was going to fit in a small frame upper, but those vise blocks should work fine.

Oh! I’m sorry. I did say was going to get the reaction rod.

I hesitated to buy the Geissele reaction rod due to the wording of their email. The Gen2 doesn’t use the same bolt lugs as the Gen1. When I found the upper block I decided to go this route instead.

I’ve had a few places I’ve talked with about DPMS Gen2 parts who gave answers that made it seem like they were not actually familiar with DPMS Gen2. For example, Noveske who made the barrels for the Zev-10 Small Frame. I emailed them if I would be able to order any DPMS Gen2 barrels from them. Their response email said all of their 7.62 and 6.5Creedmoor barrels are DPMS compatible and would work. The DPMS Gen1 and Gen2 barrel extensions are different making this not a clear enough answer for me purchase. I felt it was similar situation with the Geissele Reaction Rod.

Small update:

I received the PlastiXRevlolution G2 Upper Vice Block. The front of the Zev-10 Small Frame Upper swells outward where the integral barrel nut is located preventing the block from fitting without any modification. I think a I can fix this by taking down some of the front corner material with a Dremel easily enough.

The next challenge is finding a wrench that will fit the integral nut to remove it. It didn‘t come with a tool nor is one available from Zev.

I had a great phone call with Eric at Zev. The Zev small frame models use their Mega AR-15 MML barrel nut and wrench. Ended up picking both of those up. In addition he was able to find out in their system the entire bolt and BCG were sourced from Adam’s Arms. Adam’s Arms makes SF rifles and parts available, their bolts should be compatible Zev small frame as well as their barrel extensions.

PSA-DPMS at SHOT 2023 announced the return of the DPMS G2 rifles (these will use the Remington Defense ambidextrous lower design). The new rifles will be completely parts compatible with pre-existing DPMS G2 rifles, so no changes to the spec. Their return to market will hopefully also mean more spare parts, tooling, and jig availability as well.

Reactions: winniedonkey
PSA-DPMS at SHOT 2023 announced the return of the DPMS G2 rifles (these will use the Remington Defense ambidextrous lower design). The new rifles will be completely parts compatible with pre-existing DPMS G2 rifles, so no changes to the spec. Their return to market will hopefully also mean more spare parts, tooling, and jig availability as well.

I wonder how compatible it will be with the existing PX10 model that PSA was selling. Mine doesn't like Larue mags at all. Hopefully that's not the case with these lowers.