• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS LR 308 build up suggestions?

RidgeRebel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2009
Hurricane, UT
Hey guys I just got an 18" bull DPMS 308 and I want to bulid it up for the best accuracy possible. I had a RRA LAR 308 on order but I couldn't pass this deal up so I canceled the RR. Hopefuly that was not a bad decision. The DPMS seems pretty solid, it just needs some upgrades which brings my question. Here are the thing that I would like to change: trigger, stock, handguard, possibly the gas block to accomadate the handguard, and the grip. The stock will probably be a magpul ctr, and the grip a hogue. Other than that I'm not sure on the trigger and handguard so any suggestions on these items would be much appreciated. Also any other items that I missed that you would or have changed that would boost accuracy would be great. One more question if I may, the upper does no have a dust cover or a foward assist but I was thinking of buying the DPMS upper that has them and swapping the parts over. How big a deal is not having those items? Thanks for any help you may offer.

Re: DPMS LR 308 build up suggestions?

The first thing that has to go is the trigger - it sucks - I have a DPMS LR 308 and I put the Geissele Two Stage in it. It is awesome! If you want a rail go with Badger or Daniel Defense. There are a bunch of rails out there but GA Precision uses it on their AR-10 rifle so I figure that is a good place to start. You can also go with the Badger Gas Block Mk12. By the time you get done you will have a SASS which is why the original SASS was $800.00 more then the LR. They are great rifles and you will not miss the RRA. It too is good but get what you can when the opportunity arises.

As far as not having a dust cover or forward assist I have them on all my DPMS but then again I have never used it. Not a big deal - go shoot it before you change the upper. You will find the bull barrel is very accurate.

Thanks for the great suggestions I will check those upgrades out. I would have loved to start with a Sass but I don't have the $$$ up front. But I can build this one up a little at a time it just might take a little while. Thanks again.

IMGA0210-1.jpg

LR308B

Superior Weapons Systems hand guard
RRA 2 stage trigger
UBR stock
Houge PG

I just cut the rail off the top of the gas block as opposed to buying a new one, and also depending on your upper to lower receiver fit (mine was sloppy) you might benefit from one of these JP tension pin mine did.

Ordered mine with the A3 style upper. While the FA is useless the dust cover is nice and the use of Standard AR QD mounts is also nice if you have another AR you would like to mount the optic on.

100_0647.jpg

Yes - pictures help

Here are my Two SASS - 308 and 223...

I love those rifles...my favorites out of the arsenal.
grin.gif

Great pics guys those look like what I'm looking for. My upper and lower fit pretty tight but I think that tension pin definitely wouldn't hurt. The charging handle is kinda sloppy is that normal on all of them? It rubs on the stock sometimes. Also will a RRA two stage trigger from an AR 15 work in the LR's? Why is the foward assist useless? Thanks for the responses.

If you want it to be lighter, heavier, look cooler, whatever then play around with things like the handguard and gas block and stock all you want. If your primary concern is accuracy then take a good long hard look at the factory barrel. You may have a shooter, but more likely you'd benefit greatly from some CLE/WOA/APA/GAP love.

Obviously a decent trigger helps too. The Geissele actually reduces lock time somewhat, a prime factor in making gas guns more difficult to shoot than bolts. Other than that, a trigger job on your stock setup from a competent smith would probably have just as much effect in accuracy as dropping in big-name components. The feel may not be quite as sexy, but that's not necessarily requisite to shoot it well.

The forward assist is useless from an accuracy standpoint because if you're trying to get accurate groups/shots out of a gas gun then you want the cartridge chambered the same way each and every time. This means that if it hangs up and doesn't feed then you eject the cartridge and load another by completely cycling the gun with the charging handle. Using the forward assist would mean that it wasn't sitting in the chamber quite the same way. A little thing but if you're REALLY concerned about accuracy it's important.

In the field, the forward assist can actually do what it's intended to (help the bolt close if it doesn't quite do it on it's own) so in that sense it isn't USELESS.

ETA: You can use a trigger from an AR15, you just have to make sure that the springs in it are heavy enough to ignite the larger/harder primers. Usually they are (and JP makes "AR10" springs you can swap out if they don't) but if you have an especially light AR15 trigger then it might not give consistent ignition in an AR10.

I would also add that while the profile of a gas block really isn't important, having an adjustable one (such as from JP) can be useful. Particularly if your gun comes from the factory over gassed (eg, a carbine gas port in an 18" rifle) or if you intend to use a suppressor with it.

I have a PRI gasbuster CH for shooting suppressed. Never noticed it having any excess up and down slop though. Yes a standard RRA NM trigger will work, I had to file a little material off the top corner of the hammer so the bolt carrier would clear. The Bolt carrier on my rifle doesn't have the FA serrations in the side of it, so the FA only works when the bolt is all but closed. I guess useless was a little harsh.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cjgemm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a PRI gasbuster CH for shooting suppressed. Never noticed it having any excess up and down slop though. Yes a standard RRA NM trigger will work, I had to file a little material off the top corner of the hammer so the bolt carrier would clear. The Bolt carrier on my rifle doesn't have the FA serrations in the side of it, so the FA only works when the bolt is all but closed. I guess useless was a little harsh.</div></div>

The point being that he didn't need to go swapping things around just to get a FA is certainly well placed. I only chimed in because he specifically asked. You also make a good point that just getting an upper with a FA does you very little good if your BCG doesn't also have the FA serrations, something to keep in mind if you start mixing and matching.

I actually just got a 24" DPMS LR308. It came with a Magpul PRS and McCormick trigger which is very nice. I will hopefully get out and shoot it Wednesday.

I don't plan on mounting anything to the forend so a rail isn't high on my list. If I would have gotten it stock the trigger would be the first thing I would have changed out. I did add a Badger tactical latch and Ergo grip for a better feel. To me it's about all it needs so far. Might change after I shoot it.

Seeins as some are posting pics here's mine
P6210589.jpg

P6210588.jpg

Make it fully free floated. You can also find excellent aftermarket triggers like the Timney AR-10 triggers which on some models are adjustable.