• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing DPMS LR .308 & Excessive Pressure

Ishallbie O'Cullkillin

Central Coastranger
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2007
Oregon
Friend has a LR.308, 24" barrel that displays excessive pressure signs with anything over 42gr. Varget, 168 Bergers.Very accurate with this load.Have not chrono'd them yet. He has them seated out to mag length. Seems like he should be able to load a bit more into the Fed brass, My Armalite handles 44gr easy. I told him that he could have a rough bore, or that his carrier, buffer or spring might be too light, or that the gun is overgassed. Any thing else it could be?

Re: DPMS LR .308 & Excessive Pressure

FC brass + tight chamber = high pressure. Tell him to try Winchester brass.

By pressure signs are you referring to ejector swipe?

A friend of mine also had similar problems with his DPMS. It was diagnosed by others as high pressure, my take was rough chamber. Upper was sent back to DPMS, they evidently had a laying on of hands, an exorcism, or did some of that gunsmith mumbojumbo, and a week later he had his upper back. It now operates as it should with out signs of pressure or rough chamber. Someone at DPMS did fess up that they had polished the chamber a bit. On a good note the repairs were completed in a timely manner and there was no charge.

My LR308 had big issues with eating 1X FC brass. Brass switch gained me more powder/velocity and less brass damage.

My 260 upper was punching primers like mad, sent it in , quick turn around and is fine now. Still want an adjustable gas block.

Please describe ejector swipe- mine seems to blow a plug of brass into the ejector pin bore in the bolt face, which then rotates, shearing it off because the brass doesn't rotate with the bolt. Is this what a rough chamber does?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gobshite</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Please describe ejector swipe- mine seems to blow a plug of brass into the ejector pin bore in the bolt face, which then rotates, shearing it off because the brass doesn't rotate with the bolt. Is this what a rough chamber does?
</div></div>Double the powder and shorten the fuse!- Captain Hook

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gobshite</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Please describe ejector swipe- mine seems to blow a plug of brass into the ejector pin bore in the bolt face, which then rotates, shearing it off because the brass doesn't rotate with the bolt. Is this what a rough chamber does?
</div></div>

Here are some cases with swipe:

1zc7lz.jpg

As far as I know, it has nothing to do with a rough chamber. In another thread about reloading for ARs I posted the Armalite tech note explaining what causes this and why it is not USUALLY a cause for concern (unlike in bolt rifles) and is common in ARs.

I had a few loose primer pockets, also, with both Winchester and Federal brass, upon the first firing. Wish I had photographed the damage so everyone could read my brass.

My brass looked worse than Falars before I put an adjustable gas block on it. I recommend a block on the DPMS LR308's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My brass looked worse than Falars before I put an adjustable gas block on it. I recommend a block on the DPMS LR308's. </div></div>

I like the one JP makes, but unfortunately I'm the odd man out with my barrel OD of .875". They make a .750" and a .936" model. I tamed it a bit though by adding a heavy buffer and the Tubb CWS. I have an AR10 but the principle should be the same across the various .308 ARs.

I have a DPMS 24 inch 308 and found that the throat on my rifle is pretty short. If I have the bullets seated to 2.815 (a bit long), I can see where the lands begin to engrave on the ogive of the bullet with the naked eye. I'm just guessing that DPMS did this so that as the throat erodes, I will be able to keep chasing the lands by seating the bullet out a bit farther forward.

So, for now (at least with the bullet I'm currently using) I seated the bullets to 2.800 and they are off the lands.

I'll have to recheck it when I switch from the Sierra 155 (old palma bullet) back to the Laupa Scenar, or the Lapua lock base.

I have 24" LR308 cut down to 21.5" and the barrel diameter reduced (.750)for shooting Heavy Metal. It used to really have ejector swipe until I installed a JP gas block. It reduces it with the 168 grain loads but not much with the 125 grain loads. The primers do not show a lot of pressure with either load.

Hey Gobshite, maybe your chamber is shorter than what your magazine length allows. Are you able to extract an unfired handload without yanking the bullet out of the casing?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm just guessing that DPMS did this so that as the throat erodes, I will be able to keep chasing the lands by seating the bullet out a bit farther forward.

</div></div>

I don't think many manufacturers think about handloaders at all. More than likely they have short throats so that factory ammo (which will be 2.8" for the most part) will not be jumping as much in an attempt to increase accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm just guessing that DPMS did this so that as the throat erodes, I will be able to keep chasing the lands by seating the bullet out a bit farther forward.

</div></div>

I don't think many manufacturers think about handloaders at all. More than likely they have short throats so that factory ammo (which will be 2.8" for the most part) will not be jumping as much in an attempt to increase accuracy. </div></div>

This

Big Bore - glad I found, I'm thinking about turning down my LR308 too, maybe to .875, or leaving it .936 under the block and down to .82 or so in front. Did you research the process before doing it, or notice any effect on accuracy after doing it? I'm worried that if the barrel wasn't stress relieved before rifling, that turning it down will alter the bore dimension slightly (no personal experience, just some reading I've done on that effect).
Thanks!

I turned down my 24" bull to 20" plus the comp. It was .880 behind and in front of the gas block. There was no loss of accuracy. I just made sure the barrel did not get hot during the turning process. I took small cuts.

Thanks, that sounds like a very reasonable build. About how much did it lighten it?

Why don't you drill and tap the block that's on the rifle now? That's what I did. My brass looks great with the gas turned down.

Check my PM.
Mine is turned just over .750 under the handguard, just enough of a step for the gas block to set against. I would measure it but its hell to get to now. It also has a carbon fiber handguard which really drops the weight. Weight wise it is just a little heavier than a heavy barreled AR15 in .223.

I am having the same problem with my new 6.5 creedmoor. It is blowing out the primmer and leaving a big gash in the case. I'm going to see my gun guy tues. I will let ya know what he says :-/

He said I'm just over pressure. My gun checked out fine as far as head space and coal. He said i could have a tight bore and need to check my fps so i can get my pressure. I guess i will go from there.