• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS LR-308 moved to 6.5 CM - weird bullet velocity results.

38SuperShooter

Private
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2020
Okay, first off, I am not sure how to word the question in order to search for it.

I have never seen this before in any firearm, however, it is my first time trying to change a caliber in a semi-auto.

I finally shot the barrel out of my DPMS LR-308 and while I was looking for a replacement, I came across a 6.5 CM in 24" which is longer than my original 16" .308 barrel.

It is rifle length porting, so I replace the gas tube, reused the rest of the parts including the gas block. Now, I am pretty sure the thing is over gassed as it blows primers in some factory ammo. Winchester Match specifically, although I was told that there is an issue with the Winchester Match LRP ammo so it could be an ammo issue. I don't see this in other manufactures' ammo. I decided to load a ladder to see what it likes and found something interesting. First, it blows brass 10-12 feet away, again I know it is over gassed. What surprised me is the muzzle velocities. It is fixed at 1450 fps, give or take 10 fps. Does not matter the load, or the manufacturer is always around 1450 which is miles below 2700 the same loads get in my bolt guns with the same barrel length.

Now I expect to see some velocity drop, it is ported, after all, I don't think 1300 fps is reasonable, however. I can come up with three things, first, the powder is to slow and does not burn anywhere near fast enough for the rifle length barrel and it is venting through the port. This means a faster powder might work (I am using H4350 which all my bolt guns love) but I can't help but think that the gas block is also an issue. Has anyone else seen this? Should I go for an adjustable gas block? I plan to put a can on this anyway for varmint hunting.

What device are you using to get MV readings and are you able to go back to a bolt action and confirm appropriate MV in one outing?

Adj. GB should help.. at the very least a Adj. GB will help with the overgassed issue.

And your Chrono might be to close to the muzzle.. or maybe defective ?

Chrono is classic Composition Electronics device with new batteries. Used same day for bolt guns 6.5 x 55 Swede with reasonable results. Used previous two days with reasonable results. All are at 10 off of muzzle in full sun.

Sorry, I used my phone. Can't see so well anymore.

ProChronoDigital by Competition Electronics. The chronometer was used each day for the previous week, all the numbers were reasonable and expected for those loads and barrel lengths.

For different 6.5 CM in two different rifles, and a 300 WM as well. All velocities were completely reasonable. Same bench, the same distance from muzzles to chrono (10 feet) same time of day and about the same temperatures! I will take it back out this week and confirm that the chrono is working but I highly doubt it is the chrono.

Has anyone else ever seen this sort of behavior.

Chrono the factory ammo while you are out there...

I'd still move the chrono further away.

" For rifles, we recommend a muzzle to chronograph distance of 10 to 15 feet. If muzzle blast is affecting your readings, move back to resolve the problem. You may also encounter velocity errors with certain types of shiny ammunition. Try coloring the bullet tip with a black permanent marker to correct this type of problem. "

Also, while it may have worked with your Swede... could it have possible the lighting was slightly different ?