• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS LR-308 & Variants - Post Your Rig

lash

Swamp Rat
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2012
Central Florida
Kind of hard to search for this so wasn't able to find where anyone had already started a thread for this. I just bought my first semi-auto and have it mostly done, though I already see where I need to make changes.

Mine is pretty basic and really doesn't qualify as a build, just a personalization.

Started with a base DPMS LR-308
Still needs a Geissele SSA trigger
Magpul PRS stock
ERGO Deluxe Sure grip
Burris AR-PEPR mount/rings
Bushnell Elite Tactical 4-16X 42MM mildot scope
Harris bipod – may be too tall

Finally2.png

OK, so I need to go find out why my image is so small and fix it. I'll come back and do that in a bit.

I was talked into the Burris AR-PEPR mount by a gunsmith (who obviously didn't realize the height on the DPMS rail). I'm likely going to get something lower, but will take my time to see.

Bought the 9-13 Harris swivel pod, but again may change my mind depending upon a few things. On the plus side there, it doesn't hurt to have different size bipods in your bag of goodies.

I haven't had this to the range since I put everything on it, so am looking forward to that. I put 60 rounds through it right after I picked it up (ran a few patches through and cleaned it well first, I'm not totally stupid).

So anyway. I've shown you mine, now show me yours...

Re: DPMS LR-308 & Variants - Post Your Rig

Remington R25(Which is a DPMS)
Fulton Armory .308/7.62 Medium weight 18.5" 1/10"twist SS Barrel
JP Enterprises adjustable gas block
CMC Trigger
Tactical Ergo grip
Omega 30 Suppressor
34mm 20moa ADM Recon Mount
Bushnell 3.5-21x50mm G2DMR Reticle

522825_10151204912563211_166616744_n.jpg

541078_10151204912653211_209820398_n.jpg

Nice rig InkedIan! I saw that on another thread and liked it then.

Oh yeah, mine has the 24" SS bull barrel, 1 in 10 twist.

I wish I had one to post. I want one BAD!!!

Get one if you can! It's well worth it in my opinion. These have shown themselves to be an accurate long range semi for a reasonable price.

SDC10318.jpg

DPMS upper and lower, 22" BHW 243 barrel, 1-9 twist standard contour, DPMS carbon fiber ff tube, ACE stock and 15 rnd Pmag. Also have 5 rnd Pmags. Since this photo I have changed scopes, put a Zeiss 4.5-14 on it, and changed the grip to a Houge. Shoots really well and is fairly light.

Very nice 204 AR! How do you like that carbon fiber FF tube? any negatives?

As for the grip, I had to change mine first thing. I don't even have big hands but that was way too small for me to get a decent hold and still present my trigger finger at a decent angle. Still, no complaints. It is a personal thing after all.

Thanks Lash! I love the carbon fiber tube, it saves about 1/3 lb, and is smaller in diameter. Really makes the rifle feel more like an AR15. I also built a 308 like it with a lw BHW barrel, but I need another carbon fiber tube for it and a bcg.

.338 Federal 22", with MaTen matched sets, troy free float, Jp Stock, Geissele, love.

resize.jpg

Sweet 338! What barrel is that?

I also have a JP stock like that, your's is the only other one I've seen. Really like that ff tube also.

Here's my LR308 Oracle, at least that's what it started out as. After a number of mods this is what it looks like now. I added the following to it: PRS stock, rifle length buffer tube - spring - buffer, Magpul MAID grip, Timney 4lb trigger assembly, Apex handguards, low pro gas block, and Vortex 5 - 15 X 44 Scope. I have three muzzle brakes/compensators that I'm playing with. The one in the photo is the Battlecomp BABC, I also have a JP Bennie Cooley, and a Damage Industries muzzle brake.

If I do my part it will put 3 shots into .655 inches all day long with factory ammo. It's more than capable of putting more shots into that group, but I can't seem do get more than three at a time. Old age and shaky hands!! But I'm having a great time seeing how small a group I can get.

LR308aftermods-1.jpg

hopefully will be posting a pic in the next few weeks when mine is all put together

Custom DPMS REPR with a 24in SST Kreiger Bull bbl chambered in .260 rem.
(winner of the .5MOA contest
grin.gif
)
Nikon Monarch 4-16X50 BDC
PRI rings
Ergo Ambi grip
Magpul PRS
REPR handguard
JP adjustable gasblock
REPR.jpg

IMG_20111108_155141.jpg

dont have this one anymore but it was a DPMS SASS
large Mic Comp
Badger Ord HG
Ergo Ambi Grip
PRS
front.jpg

brake.jpg

Overkill, did you get your barrel straight from kreiger?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: overkill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Custom DPMS REPR with a 24in SST Kreiger Bull bbl chambered in .260 rem.
(winner of the .5MOA contest
grin.gif
)
Nikon Monarch 4-16X50 BDC
PRI rings
Ergo Ambi grip
Magpul PRS
REPR handguard
JP adjustable gasblock
REPR.jpg

IMG_20111108_155141.jpg

dont have this one anymore but it was a DPMS SASS
large Mic Comp
Badger Ord HG
Ergo Ambi Grip
PRS
front.jpg

brake.jpg
</div></div>

Very Nice Setup! How do you like that Nikon Monarch? Im about to put mine up for sale and switch to a Vortex Vipet PST.

This is mine:

65_creed.jpg

DPMS recievers
6.5 Creedmoor w a Fulton barrel
5-20x50 super sniper scope in seekins rings
VTAC FF tube
PRS stock

This is great! I love how each rig is so different and I see many things that will make me spend more money, when my bank account recovers from this last one (or two...shhh...I haven't told my wife yet...)

338FedAr10, I like the looks of that JP stock and the Troy FF tube.

gunfighter48, Your modified Oracle has nice clean lines and sounds like it shoots like a dream. Let us know what brake/compensator you settle on.

overkill, I followed your posts in the .5MOA thread (actually the whole thread). That .260 does you justice! Oh, and I like that shot of the brake red hot.

Longshot38, That paint job is very, very nice. Who did that or was it your work?

Thanks everyone for posting 'em up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lash</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Longshot38, That paint job is very, very nice. Who did that or was it your work?</div></div>

The paint, along with assembly of the rifle, is my work. That pattern is my favorite to date. It is something at is easy to apply, flexible, and adaptable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lash</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Longshot38, That paint job is very, very nice. Who did that or was it your work?</div></div>
The paint, along with assembly of the rifle, is my work. That pattern is my favorite to date. It is something at is easy to apply, flexible, and adaptable. </div></div>
Forgive me if you've already posted this elsewhere, but what product did you use? krylon? duracoat? cerakote? other?

I do like that pattern.

It is Rust-oleums Camouflage colors. I used brown and khaki. But any color can be used and adapted in order to blend with whatever environment you need. All one needs to make the pattern is some jute, twine, or any other natural fiber cordage.

You make it sound so easy and your results speak for themselves. I have baling twine that would do the trick I'd bet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: InkedIan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Overkill, did you get your barrel straight from kreiger? </div></div>
yup! its a one off-barrel straight from Kreiger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rmitch223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Very Nice Setup! How do you like that Nikon Monarch? Im about to put mine up for sale and switch to a Vortex Vipet PST. </div></div>
I like it, it works for now till i can afford a night force
grin.gif

nice and clear, marked windage and elevation knobs, locking parallax. smooth movement.
the BDC is nice, the upside down "T" made by the top of the first circle is dead on
at 500yards at 4X. and that just happens to be where I shoot most of my deer!
(this is 16X on deer closer then that just to show the retical)
deerincrosshairs.jpg

IMG_20111110_082836.jpg

after.jpg

Was DPMS lr-308B. Now the only thing factory is the serial number. It took a few years and many more dollars, but I now have the rifle I always wanted...minus the suppresor...

I still have all the original parts that I'm looking to get rid of and recuope the investment, considering I'm broke lol. But I'll play by the rules and wait until my 100 posts are up.

p.s. Almost forgot to mention, that's a newly aquired Proof Research carbon fiber barrel.

Good looking unit Dead Eye Dan.

How does it shoot for you? And how do you like that carbon fiber barrel?

OK, I did say earlier that I'd post a bigger picture, so here it is. Not anything special, like I said, but it's mine and I like it...

LR308.jpg

Thanks. So far so good. I've only had one chance to bring it to the range and spent most of the time breaking it in and sighting in the two main optics, but it's already grouping a little better than the factory barrel. Although, the range I go to is only 100 yards, so it's a relative improvement, but I'm sure it'll do even better once it's settled in and with the right ammo.
As far as weight goes, it's much lighter. Factory was an 18" bull barrel with a carbine length gas system and measured .936 at port. The new one is 20" with rifle length gas system and measures .875 at gas port (aka journal). Even with the added length and the fact that it stays fat (before the journal) for twice as long, it still weighs about a pound less (need to get the scale from my work again to get exact weight). If would have kept it the dimensions of the stock barrel, it would probably weigh about 2 lbs less.
I didn't because I wanted the extra velocity and if I saved too much front end weight, it would have increased felt recoil and muzzle jump (I only weigh 120 lbs, so recoil is an issue for me lol. and I don't really want a break because of the volume.)
Another selling point is that this kind of carbon fiber wrap cools off much quicker than steel, and supposedly more conventional carbon fiber barrels. It most definitely does cool faster than steel, but I have no experience with the other cf barrels like Christensen arms.
I'm going back to the range this weekend to sight in the magpul buis and try a few different types of ammo.

Okay why not. Recently finished this one.

Still saving the $ and waiting on a new optic. Hopefully (if the rumors are true) a new HDMR with Illumination next year...
The one pictured is a Leupy 3-9 Im using as a place holder. Its good enough for load development and practice at least.

As shown:
DPMS upper and lower, etc.
Rainier Arms UM 18" barrel
Geissele SSA Trigger
Everything else you can pretty much tell what it is...
Thats a "Burnt Bronze" Cerakote by the way. I like it.

photo1.jpg

My garage floor makes for a decent backdrop.

My name is RuLins05 and I'm an addict.
243 Win Mega Mono NiB
DSC08126.jpg

308 Win Mega Mono
DSC08111.jpg

Bushmaster ORC ($799 from Sportsmans special)
DSC08139.jpg

7mm-08
DSC08136.jpg

308 Win
DSC01777-1.jpg

338 Fed
DSC01827.jpg

308 Win IRA
DSC01811.jpg

That's good for now, I'm not ready to share exactly how bad it is, but according to the doc its one of the worst cases of BRD he's ever seen. Luckily my wife still loves and accepts me for who I am
blush.gif

And yes they see more use than sitting in front of a camera, my wife is taking a photo class and I suggested my toys would make a great subject!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MWM_5150</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay why not. Recently finished this one.

Still saving the $ and waiting on a new optic. Hopefully (if the rumors are true) a new HDMR with Illumination next year...
The one pictured is a Leupy 3-9 Im using as a place holder. Its good enough for load development and practice at least.

As shown:
DPMS upper and lower, etc.
Rainier Arms UM 18" barrel
Geissele SSA Trigger
Everything else you can pretty much tell what it is...
Thats a "Burnt Bronze" Cerakote by the way. I like it.

photo1.jpg

My garage floor makes for a decent backdrop. </div></div>

That finish is sick! Big fan of that, who did it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RuLins05</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My name is RuLins05 and I'm an addict.
243 Win Mega Mono NiB
DSC08126.jpg

308 Win
DSC01777-1.jpg

338 Fed
DSC01827.jpg

308 Win IRA
DSC01811.jpg

That's good for now, I'm not ready to share exactly how bad it is, but according to the doc its one of the worst cases of BRD he's ever seen. Luckily my wife still loves and accepts me for who I am
blush.gif

And yes they see more use than sitting in front of a camera, my wife is taking a photo class and I suggested my toys would make a great subject!</div></div>
Shades of amazing collection Batman!! I can only imagine that others feel the envy and awe I feel just looking at those fine rifles. Fine, fine collection!

I love the color of the .243. What is that coating and color?

The .308 with the polished aluminum look is a nice look too, IMO.

And the carbon fiber (I assume) FF tube on the .338 is a nice touch.

I'm just totally impressed! Thanks for posting them!

That first one is a nickel boron coating that Mega is doing now, very nice in deed and yes the 338 has a carbon fiber tube.

The raw aluminum receiver is from IRA (Iron Ridge Guns - Colorado) and while it catches the sun like crazy I really like the look too.

Impressive collection. I love the barrel on the 308 w/ the collapsable stock. Whats the word on it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dead Eye Dan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Impressive collection. I love the barrel on the 308 w/ the collapsable stock. Whats the word on it? </div></div>

18" BHW barrel with a twist flute. Its funny I initially built the rifle for my wife but she didn't enjoy shooting it so its mine now and I had to build her a twin in 5.56
DSC08068.jpg

Components include:

Magpul ACS
Superior Weapons Systems E1 Rifle Length rail
BHW 18" Twist flute
Hogue Grip
Nikon ProStaff BDC
BlackRain Charging Handle
Caldwell Pivot BiPod
RRA Two Stage Trigger

Wow those rock! There are some very impressive rifles on here, make me feel like a spartan!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lash</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> gunfighter48, Your modified Oracle has nice clean lines and sounds like it shoots like a dream. Let us know what brake/compensator you settle on.
Thanks everyone for posting 'em up. </div></div>

I finally got a chance to get to the outdoor 100yrd range to day and do the last shooting to compare muzzle brakes. I wanted to see if they degraded the accuracy of my 308. I tested the Battle Comp BABC, Damage Industries muzzle brake, and the JP Bennie Cooley brake.

I fired 80 rounds thru the JP brake today and if anything the accuracy was actually a little better than the other two brakes/comps. All of them required a re-zero as they all changed POI slightly in use. The BABC and Damage Industries brake didn't seem to affect accuracy.

The BABC didn't do anything to lessen recoil but did great at keeping the muzzle rise down. It cost $220. The Damage Industries muzzle brake lessened the felt recoil by 20 to 30 percent and cost less than $20.00. But it didn't do anything to keep muzzle rise down. The JP Bennie Cooley muzzle brake lessened felt recoil by about 30 to 40 percent and helped keep the muzzle rise down. The JP brake was $100.00.

I also put in a Enidine hydraulic buffer, which cost $130. There has been a lot of discussion of these devices on the net. Some people say they don't work at all and others that they eliminate 50 percent or better of the recoil. In my LR 308 there was a noticeable decrease in felt recoil. My best guess would be 10 to 15 percent less felt recoil. Some people said that their bolts wouldn't lock back after the last round but mine worked just fine with the Enidine buffer.

So I will stay with the JP brake and the hydraulic buffer as it lessened felt recoil by about 40 to 60 percent. There was nothing scientific in my research. It was all based on how much recoil I felt. But in the end that's all that really matters anyway. I am not real recoil shy but at 64 years old I have arthritis in both shoulders. So any recoil reduction is much appreciated. The other benefit is that my groups shrank by about 1 in and were consistently tighter with all the ammo that I shot today. The rifle also stayed on target so I could see where the shots hit and get faster follow up shots. So I spent about $230 for the JP brake and hydraulic buffer and cut felt recoil down by about 40 to 60 percent. It's worth it to me. YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RuLins05</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...
18" BHW barrel with a twist flute. Its funny I initially built the rifle for my wife but she didn't enjoy shooting it so its mine now and I had to build her a twin in 5.56
DSC08068.jpg

Components include:

Magpul ACS
Superior Weapons Systems E1 Rifle Length rail
BHW 18" Twist flute
Hogue Grip
Nikon ProStaff BDC
BlackRain Charging Handle
Caldwell Pivot BiPod
RRA Two Stage Trigger</div></div>
What a nice photo shot! It's currently hard for me to imagine owning one such fine looking AR, much less two built to match. You obviously have an eye for the art of the AR (if you will). Thanks again for posting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunfighter48</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lash</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> gunfighter48, Your modified Oracle has nice clean lines and sounds like it shoots like a dream. Let us know what brake/compensator you settle on.
Thanks everyone for posting 'em up. </div></div>

I finally got a chance to get to the outdoor 100yrd range to day and do the last shooting to compare muzzle brakes. I wanted to see if they degraded the accuracy of my 308. I tested the Battle Comp BABC, Damage Industries muzzle brake, and the JP Bennie Cooley brake.

I fired 80 rounds thru the JP brake today and if anything the accuracy was actually a little better than the other two brakes/comps. All of them required a re-zero as they all changed POI slightly in use. The BABC and Damage Industries brake didn't seem to affect accuracy.

The BABC didn't do anything to lessen recoil but did great at keeping the muzzle rise down. It cost $220. The Damage Industries muzzle brake lessened the felt recoil by 20 to 30 percent and cost less than $20.00. But it didn't do anything to keep muzzle rise down. The JP Bennie Cooley muzzle brake lessened felt recoil by about 30 to 40 percent and helped keep the muzzle rise down. The JP brake was $100.00.

I also put in a Enidine hydraulic buffer, which cost $130. There has been a lot of discussion of these devices on the net. Some people say they don't work at all and others that they eliminate 50 percent or better of the recoil. In my LR 308 there was a noticeable decrease in felt recoil. My best guess would be 10 to 15 percent less felt recoil. Some people said that their bolts wouldn't lock back after the last round but mine worked just fine with the Enidine buffer.

So I will stay with the JP brake and the hydraulic buffer as it lessened felt recoil by about 40 to 60 percent. There was nothing scientific in my research. It was all based on how much recoil I felt. But in the end that's all that really matters anyway. I am not real recoil shy but at 64 years old I have arthritis in both shoulders. So any recoil reduction is much appreciated. The other benefit is that my groups shrank by about 1 in and were consistently tighter with all the ammo that I shot today. The rifle also stayed on target so I could see where the shots hit and get faster follow up shots. So I spent about $230 for the JP brake and hydraulic buffer and cut felt recoil down by about 40 to 60 percent. It's worth it to me. YMMV</div></div>
That is a nice clean write up. Thanks for sharing that. It sounds, from your experience, that the JP brake is the way to go. Or at the least, one good way to go.

I posted these in the gallery but I'll put it on here also. Lots of nice rigs on this thread.

Mine is a .260rem built on the Mega Nickle Boron upper/lower recievers. Geissele SSA trigger, DPMS BCG, Lilja 24" Heavy barrel and a Falcon 4-14X44 scope. I may install a PRS later but I like STR stocks. We'll see how well I like it on a long range rig. No range report yet. Hopefully next week.

ar2602.jpg

ar2603.jpg

lilja1.jpg

I have to admit, I do like those Mega nickel boron receivers. Kinda flashy, but then I guess that's part of the point.

Nice looking rig Koden!

Man there are some nice rigs posted here!

Here is my Bushmaster ORC made by DPMS with a 16" chrome lined barrel.

2012-06-08184459.jpg

After modification, Vortex PST 2.5-10X44 mil/mil, Larue mount, DA7 adjustable gas block, Giessele SD-E trigger, Magpul UBR and MOE grip, Tubbs buffer spring, Troy Trx rail, TBAC 30P-1 suppressor.

aka "<span style="font-weight: bold">The Pig</span>"
2012-09-27092854.jpg

2012-09-27092921-1.jpg

5 round groups shot before suppressor was installed.
2012-09-12150652.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongArm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man there are some nice rigs posted here!

Here is my Bushmaster ORC made by DPMS with a 16" chrome lined barrel.

After modification, Vortex PST 2.5-10X44 mil/mil, Larue mount, DA7 adjustable gas block, Giessele SD-E trigger, Magpul UBR and MOE grip, Tubbs buffer spring, Troy Trx rail, TBAC 30P-1 suppressor.

aka "<span style="font-weight: bold">The Pig</span>"
2012-09-27092921-1.jpg
</div></div>
"The Pig"...lol, that's rich!

I found myself calling mine "The Beast", since it's the first rifle I've owned that weighed in at 15 lbs. I'm just a noob and enjoying every bit of it.

I like what you've done with it, Longarm. Big improvement, in my opinion.

Well... Here is mine.

DPMS Lower w/ A2 Stock and Polished up trigger, KNS pins.
CMMG MK 3 Upper - 1-10 twist heavy with flash hider - A.R.M.S Flipups.

Has the HARD TO GET Vortex HS 5-15-44mm Mil Scope.

Its a VERY accurate rifle and eats ammo QUICKLY
smile.gif

Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)

P7130005.jpg

P5101739.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongArm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thx for the kind words. With ammo it weighs in at 12Lbs (no suppressor).</div></div>
I guess the PRS stock and the 24" bull barrel make mine 3 lbs heavier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well... Here is mine.

DPMS Lower w/ A2 Stock and Polished up trigger, KNS pins.
CMMG MK 3 Upper - 1-10 twist heavy with flash hider - A.R.M.S Flipups.

Has the HARD TO GET Vortex HS 5-15-44mm Mil Scope.

Its a VERY accurate rifle and eats ammo QUICKLY
smile.gif

Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)

P7130005.jpg

P5101739.jpg
</div></div>
Nice rig Matt.

Mine also eats ammo, which is why I just bought my first group buy from Southwest Ammo. Good accurate ammo for excellent prices makes for more shooting fun.

008-1.jpg

Here's mine I've been working on. Its a 260LR
JP trigger
carbon fiber tube
blacked out barrel
with a nightforce sitting on top
Still have some wishes to fill but over time. Its a shooter