• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

dpms LR .308

patlaprade01

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2011
South FLA
I recently picked up a 26" heavy s/s fluted barrel dpms LR.308. I'm on the fence if I should keep it the way it is or send it out and have it rebuilt. Any one have a custom dpms that started out stock ? Looking to hear ideas or suggestions....

Re: dpms LR .308

I threw a longer tube and adjustable gasblock, harris bipod, glass and backup red dot@ 1 oclock and called it a day. As soon as barrel starts to degrade im going to send it to fulton armory.
Oh and the godawful trigger. Still havent changed it out. I polished it with jewelers rouge but it is bad still. Get a aftermarket asap.

Thanks for the info. I just put a kdf muzzle break on it so the wife could shoot it without complaining about the recoil. I'm leaning toward sending to GA Precision and having them do their magic.

Paddygun;

A point of clarification; DPMS LR 308 barrel length is 24" not 26".

Now that we have that out of the way, I had the exact same configuration you have. After about 200rds and holding My buddy's DPMS LR308L version, i decided that this stock DPMS need to loose weight and could use some upgrades to boot.

Following is how i now have my DPMS LR 308 configured;
1. A2 buttstock was replaced with a VLTOR EMOD adj. stock.
2. AR Restor buffer for DPMS LR308 carbines
3. JP installed JP single stage trigger...3#-3.5# break
4. Replaced alum FF tube with DPMS Carbon Fiber FF tube.
5. Barrel reprofiled by ADCO to .750" & cut to 16"
6. Ergo Grip.
7. Ambi Safety.
8. YHM Hooded flip up gas blcok/front sight.
9. BABC Battlecomp.
10. YHM Rear Flip up sight.

After all this, my rifle went from 11.2lbs empty to just under 8lbs empty...MISSON ACCOMPLISHED!!

The rifle wears a sightron SII big sky 6.5-20x50 riflescope.

Yeah, my LR 308 is very different from the factory configuration, but its accurate and now configured for hunting (my primary purpose), carbine courses, multi-gun competitions or whatever tickles my fancy....I also have a 20" upper with a PRI/MSTN brake on it.

Regards

I bought the same gun about 18 months ago. At this point I still have the same lower and BCG everything else has been changed. I started with a 22" Fulton barrel (huge differance!) then I could not stand the look of the slick side upper so I swapped it out for a OLD (normal) height DPMS A2 upper and a troy rail. Throw on a Magpul PRS and Timiny 3lb trigger. Its a different gun but now its a lot more pretty...

Welcome! Why not just shoot it the way it is and see how it does before going off and changing everything on it? But if you want to change things out, go for it. That's what makes ARs fun! I would say the first upgrade would be a good single or two stage trigger, whichever flavor you fancy.

Hawk

Start with changing the trigger, and then the barrel if you still don't like the performance. Timney or Geiselle, depending on if you like 1 or 2 stage, and Krieger, Rock, or some other quality barrel maker. Those 2 things tend to make the most difference in the performance of the AR.

Marshallwk,

Overall, i'll have to say i'm v satisfied with the BABC. But i'm not taken to idol worship of equipment. Here is quick review of the BABC

The BABC is billed as a compensator. In that regard, it works well. Astonishingly well. As a brake, (which it is not), its underwhelming (sucks). However, the BABC's combination of some recoil reduction and substantially reduced muzzle rise means that follow up shots with a 308 can be done as fast as a 556 with just a flash hider...maybe even a 556 w a BABC.

I should note that recoil from a 308AR is completely manageable, but it more recoil reduction is always welcome.

My test of the BABC occured in an indoor range, running iron sights. The target was a human silhoutte, at 25yards. I emptied a 20rd magazine as fast i could pull the trigger, and i never lost sight of the target. If you know how small the peep hole on a rear sight is, u understand the significane of what i just typed. Additionally, all shots were within center of mass.

For comparison sake, i brought my 20" upper with an MSTN/PRI "quiet" brake. I loaded up and also emptied a 20rd rd mag as fast as i cud. Several things became apparent.

1. The MSTN Quiet brake was far more effective at reducing recoil than the BABC, however, the resultant muzzle flip caused me to loose sight of the target with each trigger pull, necessitating a re-aquisition of the target between trigger pulls. This greatly reduced the time between follow-up shots with the MSTN "Quiet" brake.

2. Even though the Battlecomp's website bills the BABC as "mild concussive blast", this did not prove to be the case at the range. When ever i was shooting, all the people within two to three bays on either side of me would stop shooting and pull back behind me! so whatever "mild concussive blast" BABC is talking about is not enough to matter to ppl located on either side of you. To be fair, this happened with the "quiet" brake as well.

3. Substantial flash reduction with the BABC. When my barrel was 24" long, i never noticed any flash, no matter what ammo i ran through it. Now that it has been cut down to 16", flash is now a factor i must come to grips with, especially when shooting crappy steel cased Russian ammo. With the BABC, The flash is almost gone! by almost gone, i mean like 90+% gone. I do notice the occasional small, "side flash", but for the most part, flash is a non-factor. and the little bit that shows up occasionally is not enough to worry about.

Overall, i'm very pleased with my purchase of the BABC. I dont think that its worth $200 (not enough recoil reduction to warrant the stupidly high price tag), but the results are hard to argue with. Now, the only other similar device is the PWS 30, and it's half the cost of the BABC. The videos of that compensator emphasize the recoil reduction as well as lack of muzzle flip. If the PWS 30 works as well as the BABC, then i will upgrade my 20" upper with this device instead.

Hope this helps. I'm working on getting pictures uploaded.

Regards,

Tx_Flyboy

I think whether you "send it out" depends on what your plans are for the rifle.

For example, if its gonna sit, leave it. If its gonna sit much, leave it. If you're gonna shoot it a little, leave it. If you're gonna trick it out just to look at it, leave it unless you just wanna sling money at an inanimate object. If you're just gonna tell the guys at the office you gotta lr dpms they won't know the difference if its tricked or not. If you intended on competing you'd already know what to do. So don't "send it out". And now that they told you the trigger sucks you know it so get a Geiselle Service Rifle trigger and get a real AR mechanic to install it instead of a smith who cleans Rem 1100's. (That's a shotgun).

Since you can "send it out" on a whim, being abundantly funded, get two cans of 500 rounds each of Georgia Arms Match 175 grain ammo and shoot them ten shots at a time, cool, repeat, until the cans are empty. Then, you'll know whether to send it out, to whom, and what you want done when you send it out.

Meanwhile, get this book. I did two years ago and still refer to it.

www.zediker.com/books/ar2/ARII_main.html

Paddy, thier are quite a few post on this subject, a few are mine, if it will help. I bought a stock LR-308 and did some tweaking.
1. You have a 24" match grade barrel on it now. Combined with the right ammo to put in like 168 FGMM ect. or handloads and the right shooter the platform is capible of .5 moa or better,takes about 250 rnds or so, at least it did on mine at 100yds 3 shots multiple targets all can be covered by a dime.
2. Spend the 20 bucks buy a Magpull P-Mag you wont regret it.
3. Either send the 2 stage trigger off to have it worked on or replace it with another trigger system either single or double. The pin diameter for the trigger group is .154 and just about any AR-15/AR-10 trigger with a .154 pin diameter will work. I am using a Wilson Combat TTU Single stage 4lbs.
4. The standard stock is something you either like or dont, mine is sporting a Magpull PRS.
5.Changed grip as well and used a Harris Swivle / notched Bi-pod
save the extra money and buy a nice scope.

We have almost the same rifle now. Mine did take some rounds through the barrel before it really came into its own, it was around 250 too. I was disappointed with the accuracy at first, now it is dead on. I used the RRA National Match trigger, works great over stock. I just purchased the upper with the dust cover to replace the old one. I will put the Daniel Defense quad rail on that upper with a new barrel when mine starts to go, but I love mine.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zebra308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Paddy, thier are quite a few post on this subject, a few are mine, if it will help. I bought a stock LR-308 and did some tweaking.
1. You have a 24" match grade barrel on it now. Combined with the right ammo to put in like 168 FGMM ect. or handloads and the right shooter the platform is capible of .5 moa or better,takes about 250 rnds or so, at least it did on mine at 100yds 3 shots multiple targets all can be covered by a dime.
2. Spend the 20 bucks buy a Magpull P-Mag you wont regret it.
3. Either send the 2 stage trigger off to have it worked on or replace it with another trigger system either single or double. The pin diameter for the trigger group is .154 and just about any AR-15/AR-10 trigger with a .154 pin diameter will work. I am using a Wilson Combat TTU Single stage 4lbs.
4. The standard stock is something you either like or dont, mine is sporting a Magpull PRS.
5.Changed grip as well and used a Harris Swivle / notched Bi-pod
save the extra money and buy a nice scope. </div></div>

Mine shoots GREAT! It is completely stock and its sub MOA. I would change that trigger out tho. It comes stock set at almost 8lbs and just doesn't break well at all. Get a drop in for it and be done...should make a world of difference.

By the way I was just making discussion points, not an order of pref. to get things worked on/replaced. The 1st thing that was fixed / changed was the trigger, it was so bad it felt like draggin a cinder block on asphault.

Thanks for the review. Sounds like something that would be nice on a 3 gun rifle. Ill get one for my m4.

I really appreciate the info. Forgive my stupidity but this is a whole new venue for me. Hunting has always been my main focus and I've only used the common bolt actions out to 200yrds or less. My father gave me some of his toys to make my own and I now see how much can be involved in each firearm. As for having abundant funds ? That is not the case but starting out with a rifle, that was a gift,I have the luxury of spending a few bucks and it softening the hit. Gonna go out this weekend and play around with it some more and see how it goes. I have some different ammo to try out and will be able to shoot out to 300yrds this time. That my get a chuckle out of some of you but I'm gonna crawl before I can walk.....

Thanks again for all the info so far