• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing DPMS LR308 feeding problems

mattsnuked

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2007
Phoenix
Well I have had my DPMS LR308 for a week now and have taken it out to the range twice. I like the rifle BUT I have an issue with it.

On only the 3rd and 2nd to last round in the mags when the bolt goes to cycle it skips over the head of the round, starts feeding the round by grabbing the body of the case, and then the bolt jams halfway into battery with the bolt being stopped by the bullet half way inserted into the chamber. The brass is severly dented by this force.

I have looked all over the internet and there seems to be an ongoing issue with possibly a bad batch of magazines. I called DPMS and they said it's probably the mags and to send them in for replacement.

I went out an purchased another new DPMS mag locally thinking it may have come from another lot and it still does the same thing.

When firing #1 through round #16 it functions flawlessly.

Questions:
Has anyone else here had this issue?
Do you think it could be anything else besides the mags?
Anyone have a mag fix other than the obvious to send them back or try another mag brand? (I have 2 C Products mags comming.)

Thanks.

Re: DPMS LR308 feeding problems

Take the spring out and stretch it a little. Might give you a little more upward pressure and not let the bolt ride over the round in the mag.

Sounds like a magazine problem. Check to see if the spring wasn`t installed backwards.. The spring should make contact with the front of the follower (bullet side).. C products claim there magazine is better, more reliable then the factory mags.. and there half the price, $21.99 for the 20 rounders..

I did check the mags and even put in the mag a 2" wood base to compress the mag spring more but with the same result. I'll wait an see if the C mags I have ordered do the trick otherwise I guess the rifle will go back to DPMS. If the rifle does go back they better treat me right!

Tried different ammo? I shot some Remington Ammo through mine and it jammed a few times, something it hasn't done with the BH stuff yet.

Just a thought.

How do the followers look? On almost every DPMS mag I've used/seen the plastic followers typically have a lot of sharp edges, overmold etc. left on them. I had problems with a couple out of 20 mags feeding reliably and after smoothing out and removing the mold "leavings" they ran fine.

Thanks all for the assistance. I have either tried or looked at what everyone was suggesting. I even exchanged the locally bought mag with the same results.

I did notice that when shooting the rifle I could push the mag forward while seated and it would not jam. My guess now is it's either the mag disconnect or a frame issue. Oh well. Will update when it's back from DPMS.

Get a couple current gen KAC mags to last you till the PMAG LR comes out.....

Finally got my C product mags in and they worked flawlessly, I am glad I waited on sending it in. Definitely a DPMS mag problem, they will be going back to the factory.

you'll probably get the same thing back. I have the first DPMS metal mags and recent ones, neither work well. The original plastic ones worked better.