• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS LR308 - Initial Sight In & Break In ?

smith934

Private
Minuteman
May 9, 2003
Alabama
I bought a new DPMS LR308 and I'm going to the range this weekend. I have a large quantity of 7.62 surplus ammo (Port, Hirtenberger and Radway Green) and am wondering if it would be ok to use it for the initial sight in and for barrel break in. Any recomendations would be appreciated.

Re: DPMS LR308 - Initial Sight In & Break In ?

That is how i did mine, mine turned out great
Did the shoot 1 clean x5 / shoot 3 clean x5 / shoot 5 clean x5 / shoot for fun

I followed the instructions listed in the manual for my LR-308 down to the letter, in an attempt to either prove or disprove the whole barrel break-in philosophy to my own satisfaction.

My first 5-shot group was with 168 Gr. FGMM and was to be my benchmark on how well the rifle was before break-in. The rest of the break-in was done using Remington UMC budget fodder. At certain points (IIRC it was after 50 rounds fired, then 100, 150, 200, and finally 250) I shot five FGMM in anxious anticipation of seeing the group sizes shrink right before my eyes... I didn't see it.

According to the manual, a 250 round count (or about) is when the barrel should be broken in and shooting its best. At the end of the day, the UMC was somewhat erratic with an average group size of about 2-1/2". The FGMM could be counted on for 1" groups and it didn't seem matter at what point in the break-in process I shot them. I’ll see if I can find my data sheet from that exercise.

So I can't say that I buy into the break-in philosophy based on this experience, and I understand it is a rather limited test to draw any "absolute conclusions" from. But if there was an improvement, then it must have been minimal and consumed within the "noise" of my test and technique (and admittedly that could be true on both fronts). Still, I probably won't waste ammo doing the process again.

I'm with Pat M.

Thanks for the input guys but the question was actually aimed at the asvisability of using the 7.62 surplus ammo vs. reloads or factory ammo for initial sight in and break in (which I do believe in). I should have been more clear.

Re break in, I've read almost everything you can find on line about it from yes to no to only on aftermarket and a waste of time on factory barrels. I do it myself and it is the most boring tedious thing I can think of, even ahead of watching grass grow. Results have been mixed on all barrels both custom and factory. I finally came down on the side of it doesn't hurt and may or may not help, so I do it.

After doing further reading on the 7.62 vs. .308 pressure issues it appears that the 7.62 should not be a problem in the .308 chamber of the DPMS.

I used the cheap south african surplus to break in my barrel, and i got to see how it grouped with it (? about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 ")

Taking the time to shoot/clean may not be nesissary but why not, it's just some time/patches/solvent.

Now gone to Sierra 175HPBT, R15 41.5gr, fedral brass & primers / load little shorter than mag