• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS LR308 Question

USAF SP

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2011
Western Washington
I have the itch to buy a DPMS LR308 and would like to hear your thoughts/experiences/impressions with the weapon.

Any advice pro/con would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rich

Re: DPMS LR308 Question

I've had one for 5 years now and don't really shoot it that much because I have much more accurate rifles. Mine shoots between 1 and 1.5MOA with match ammo. I suppose if I rebarreled it accuracy would improve.

I have 2 and they are great. Both shoot sub moa, and are reliable. Hard to beat for the money.
triggers suck
giesselle trigger and prs buttstock made all the difference.

I have the newer SASS version. It shoots sub MOA with most ammo that I have shot. It would probably do better with a little tweak in the ammo I reload for it. It also shoots pretty decent with my YHM can installed only problem is it is severely over gassed and beats the hell out of the brass and trigger group.

I bought mine a few months ago. I have put 135 rounds through it and would say its a .6 moa rifle since I have been shooting it. The previous owner before me was printing .5's on a pretty consistant basis. Its factory barrel had some work done by gap and it has a rra stg2 trigger. I put a 22moa badger ord rail and super sniper 16x on it and have enjoyed it easily out to 900.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Biggerhammer50</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> only problem is it is severely over gassed and beats the hell out of the brass and trigger group. </div></div>

I also own a newer SASS, shoots everything I've put in it so far (FGMM 175, handloaded Hornady 168, Sierra 175, M118LR AA11) without a hiccup. I installed the Tubb Carrier Weight System with the tungsten slug and it CONSIDERABLY dropped felt recoil. With the CWS installed, I get barely any extractor rub on the M118LR AA11 brass. Handloads and OTC ammo, no marks at all on the brass.

-edit
installed Tubb ar-10 spring, too.

1: Better trigger is a must
2: If the metal mags have feeding issues - get the Magpul poly = worked tons better for mine
3: Adjustable gas block works wonders
4: Badger 22moa base or similar
5: PRS butt stock = makes it heavy ,,, but it's kind of a pig in the first place

I have the LRT308 SASS.I have had it for about seven months and it is a shooter, but heavy. Mine is outfitted at 18 pounds. I have about 400 rounds down the pipe, without any problems. Here is a picture of my best 100 yard group. Mostly mine is a .74 - 1 MOA gun, buts that's because of me. Here is what it did on a good day. This was 168g FGMM. Scope is Leupold Mark 4
halfinchgroupdpms.jpg

openns.jpg

My dpms in 6.5cm quickly became my match rifle after a few mods that have been listed already. New trigger and a prs will have you well on your way to a great rifle.

I had one, wish I hadn't sold it now...I didn't realize just how accurate it was, or appreciate it I guess. Members here told me not to let it go, but again I was ignoramous!

As others said, get that trigger replaced asap...I had a two stage geiselle and loved it but just couldn't get comfortable behind the gun. Only other issues were it was hard on brass and mine only seemed to like FGMM 168's. In all fairness I shold have tried more factory ammo and/or handloads in it.

Here's my thread fwiw http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...084#Post2745084

I am selling a LR308L.Light gun and shoots ok. 1-1.5moa with avg. ammo.... For the most part I liked it. It didn't like metal mags very much but once I switched to Pmags I never had a problem. Also had alot of play between the upper and lower. So much I sent it back when I first got it. I must say the cust. service at DPMS is pretty good. I think you will be happy. Hope I don't regret selling it....
The most important thing I have learned is good glass is a must!!!!

I am getting an OBR. If I wasn't the dpms would not be leaving.

Rhino

Looking at getting the LAR308 with 24" tube. The SASS is tempting but I will shoot this (occasionally) past 800m and want more velocity than I would get from it's 18" tube.

Well, I've seen the 24" bull ones with standard stocks for 1k (two years ago at a gun show anyways). I thought about one for a long time but after handling them no thanks. Too heavy.

18" barrel is borderline. If you have a faster one and the right conditions great; if you have a slower one and poor conditions like I did not so much. You can try a powder like 2000MR but that still wasn't enough for mine to be as fast as I wanted for that purpose.

Have you thought about building one yourself?

IMG_1761.jpg

JP Handguard
JP Trigger
JP Benny Cooley muzzle brake
JP adjustable gas block
Magpul PRS with extended buttpad
Accu Shot BT13-QK monopod
Phase 5 EBRv2
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm FFP
Burris Xtreme Tac 30mm medium rings

I'm extremely pleased with my LR308. I've got almost 1k rounds through it and it's easily a sub MOA rifle. Yes, it is a bit on the heavy side with the 24" bull barrel, but it balances nicely.

If you want a .308 AR for precision, I think you can do better. Some seem to have GREAT, accurate, reliable DPMS rifles, but quite a few people seem to have lemons. I would consider Fulton Armory if you want the same platform with MUCH BETTER CS and QC, or GAP 10, if you are willing to put a little more money towards the project. Honestly, you are going to end up customizing the DPMS pretty heavily anyway, so the savings isn't quite as big as it looks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hog Rider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have but doen't believe I could do it for much cheaper than what I could buy one for. </div></div>

Depends on what you want.

You could build an upper like this for around 850:

S5003216.jpg

That upper made this group the other day:

S5003211.jpg

Was a clean/cold group load info on target. Dot is 1" in diameter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mike mccurry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you like the JP brake? </div></div>

Quite a bit actually. I run one on my 3gun AR as well. Due to limited availability at time of purchase my LR308 did not originally have one. I've added the brake and adjustable gas block over time and shot several matches with different configurations(nothing, brake w/o gas block, brake w/ gas block). The addition of the brake and adjustable gas block greatly reduce muzzle rise and allows significantly faster follow up shots. Noise signature is HUGE anywhere except pulling the trigger. Also take a look at the SJC Titan. The JP is a large diameter brake so it looks a little disproportional on any barrel less than .920 in

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hog Rider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have but doen't believe I could do it for much cheaper than what I could buy one for. </div></div>

Depends on what you want.

You could build an upper like this for around 850:

S5003216.jpg

That upper made this group the other day:

S5003211.jpg

Was a clean/cold group load info on target. Dot is 1" in diameter.

</div></div>

BCP- Would you mind posting the details of how you built that for only $850? (ie- What parts and where purchased)

The fit and finish of my SASS is great. I can shoot .40" bugholes at 200 yards with a bolt gun, but neither me nor several shooting buddies could get a 5 shot group under 1.5 MOA with mine, and we tried all kinds of different ammo and loads. I sent it in to DPMS, they sent it back without a test target but said it was grouping the hornady match 168 @ .5 moa and the FGMM @ .7.... I took it back out with FGMM and my buddies and I each laid down 1.25 - 1.5 moa groups. It's been in the safe since.

Those are the facts. Maybe I can't shoot a gas gun so well?

I'll try again next year maybe ...

JSESurplus
DPMS quad rail 150$
DPMS upper receiver + charging handle 165$
Armorers block and wrench = 65ish bucks

Fulton
Barrel, gas block and gas tube = 300$ shipped (on sale)

TDSGuns
BCG 150$ on sale
30$ for rail covers

can't remember where I got the flash hider but I do know it was sub 40$

If you want to go cheaper then JSESurplus has DPMS brand barrels for 150-200 bucks.

lower was 170 used with some parts (blem), I had a trigger and some other stuff laying around so I splurged for the magpul ACS stock. last time I sat down and did the math I had 1280 in this rifle counting trips to my FFL and shipping so it can be done for not a ton of money but you need to really shop around and get lucky

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JSESurplus
DPMS quad rail 150$
DPMS upper receiver + charging handle 165$
Armorers block and wrench = 65ish bucks

Fulton
Barrel, gas block and gas tube = 300$ shipped (on sale)

TDSGuns
BCG 150$ on sale
30$ for rail covers

can't remember where I got the flash hider but I do know it was sub 40$

If you want to go cheaper then JSESurplus has DPMS brand barrels for 150-200 bucks.

lower was 170 used with some parts (blem), I had a trigger and some other stuff laying around so I splurged for the magpul ACS stock. last time I sat down and did the math I had 1280 in this rifle counting trips to my FFL and shipping so it can be done for not a ton of money but you need to really shop around and get lucky </div></div>

Damn. Good job on that! It looks and shoots sweet.