• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS LR308

whodie63

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2011
campbellsville ky
just bought one i am doing some up dates like rail butt-stock est........ anyone with any help would be good thanks to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: DPMS LR308

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whodie63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just bought one i am doing some up dates like rail butt-stock est........ anyone with any help would be good thanks to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! </div></div>

Replace the trigger group with a single stage adjustable, replace the gas block with an adjustable offering, chop the barrel to 20", re-crown and thread 5/8x24, ditch the A2 stock and replace it with the Magpul PRS, change magazines from metal DPMS to the PMAGS, add a Tac Latch on the charging handle and cerekote it in your favorite flavor. A Hand Guard change out is iffy but, there are some pretty cool looking ones on the market.

That'll keep you busy for a little while, good luck.

You will need some tools first. You may need to order a tool to insert into the upper so you can use a vise to support the assembly while you work on the upper. They make a similar tool to work on the lower and insert into the magazine. A video to learn how to work on it would not hurt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whodie63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just bought one i am doing some up dates like rail butt-stock est........ anyone with any help would be good thanks to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! </div></div>

Replace the trigger group with a single stage adjustable, replace the gas block with an adjustable offering, chop the barrel to 20", re-crown and thread 5/8x24, ditch the A2 stock and replace it with the Magpul PRS, change magazines from metal DPMS to the PMAGS, add a Tac Latch on the charging handle and cerekote it in your favorite flavor. A Hand Guard change out is iffy but, there are some pretty cool looking ones on the market.

</div></div>

And it will lighten your pockets approcimately 700$. Add a rail for 200 more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OBXLongRange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And it will lighten your pockets approcimately 700$. </div></div>

I forgot to mention that it would leave a mark
shocked.gif

Feed the thing ammo and figure out yourself what you need based on your performance with it. Otherwise you might be pissing money away with useless "enhancements".

yea i understan that i was just going to put a good rail on it and a good buttstock because it just basic ... all tips are nice tho thanks

If it has an A2 stock that is fine...you don't need rails unless you're mounting lots of extras on it either.

Figure out what you want the rifle to do that it currently cannot and go from there...................

I had the LR308 w/24" bull barrel. Too damn heavy. Swapped uppers with a guy here for a 18" bull barrel upper. MUCH better, but still too heavy. I need either a FF quad rail ($200) or a 4-rail gas block. The block will be a pretty sure thing for mounting a light.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Replace the trigger group with a single stage adjustable, replace the gas block with an adjustable offering, chop the barrel to 20", re-crown and thread 5/8x24, ditch the A2 stock and replace it with the Magpul PRS, change magazines from metal DPMS to the PMAGS, add a Tac Latch on the charging handle and cerekote it in your favorite flavor. A Hand Guard change out is iffy but, there are some pretty cool looking ones on the market.

</div></div>

Good list wnroscoe. Luckily I'm almost there, as per your list! Questions:

1) Single Stage adjustable or a good two-stage like a Geissele SSA-E?
2) Why the adjustable gas block?
3) Why replace the metal DPMS mags? Do they suck? I have a stack of them, unfired.

Serious questions all. I'm almost done with my build.

Not trying to hijack your thread whodie63, hopefully these questions and answers will be helpful to you as well!

Thanks! Mr.Maim

Find out what your budget is going to be on the glass first thing. Don't go too cheap, you usually get what ya pay for as far as that goes. The bushnell 10x is a good scope for the money, simple and practicle. Yours just has the 16" barrel on it doesn't it?
Get out and get some range time with it and see what you are capable of with the rifle first, and go from there.

The best thing I did on my LR308B was send the trigger to Bill Springfield. Service was great and affordable.

I started with basics- shooting it for long enough to realize the stock trigger is equally awful as my AR10A4 was. I installed an RRA Nat'l Match 4-lb unit, went with Magpul UBR stock. These two things alone vastly improved it over stock. Went from 1.5/2 moa to about 1 moa. I had to change out the A2 front post on my folding front base for a narrower unit (multi-pc kit from DPMS)as the A2 is too crude for the capabilities of the 18" bbl even with the shorty sight radius! I have an MADBUIS which works great and fits beneath LaRue 1.5 SPR mounts & GG&G Accucams. The lighter hammer on the RRA has ignited all primers except for a lone Austrian de-linked MG rd. As configured it's still more of an accurized battle rifle vs. a 'sniper' rifle, but I'm sure with a nice 24" upper you could make a cost-effective SASS type weapon out of it.

Semper Fi,

I have a JP adjustable trigger on my LR308, and am not happy with it. If i can't find someone to make it feel better, I may go to the Geissele.

Typhoon is right. Good money spent.
PRS is junk. Shooters like em cause they look cool, but they're heavy and offer nothing the right rings or extended rail won't solve. They make good anchors though. The A2 is positioned perfectly, weighted light, and ruggedly reliable.
Just shoot factory match ammo and it'll be fine like it is. Maybe a muzzle brake but that's all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whodie63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just bought one i am doing some up dates like rail butt-stock est........ anyone with any help would be good thanks to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! </div></div>

</div></div>

Been there - agree with list above - might add a brake ,,, ! 1: better trigger

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Typhoon is right. Good money spent.
<span style="font-weight: bold">PRS is junk. Shooters like em cause they look cool, but they're heavy and offer nothing the right rings or extended rail won't solve.</span> They make good anchors though. The A2 is positioned perfectly, weighted light, and ruggedly reliable.
Just shoot factory match ammo and it'll be fine like it is. Maybe a muzzle brake but that's all.</div></div>

No offense but, that statement is pure bullshit. The PRS weighs a total of 28oz, only a mere 14oz more than the standard A2 stock and it offers much more functionality than the A2 does; especially when you consider the option of adding an Accu-Shot monopod.

Additionally, if the shooter decided to opt for a quick release mount for the optic, the A2 stock doesn't offer the amount of height needed for every shooter and the adjustable cheek riser on the PRS remedies that issue.

<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-family: 'Verdana'"><span style="color: #003300">No offense accepted. However, 14 ounces that far out from center throws the rig out of balance, to me, and, 14 ounces is more than needed when A2 with the correct rings set up right works.

For example, on your rig in the picture you have about 4" of un-used rail in front of the base, and you have the PRS extended about 2". I can spell it out for you. Move the base forward 2" and the butt will not need to be extended.

Additionally, the objective housing on the scope is about as high off the fore rail the same amount of space the PRS cheek piece is elevated. You can do the rest here.

Finally, one look at your PRS reminds me of an anchor or jumper cables or welding lead: They snag on everything around. If that rig of yours was dirty and worn, i.e.; used, you would have experienced this. But then that is the operative concept here. Experience.

P.S. I don't recall ever seeing a Mono-pod at any field tactical shoots, but then maybe Sommers and Long just don't yet know about Mono-pods. Actually, I think they're gay.

Note that you butted into this conversation. I did not criticize you or your pretty rig.
But <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am offering an analysis as a response so a newcomer can learn</div></div> from dumb mistakes such as buying unnecessary junk. Cool looking? Yes. Necessary for accurate marksmanship? Nope.</span></span></span>

I like the PRS on 308 guns, but not on ar-15s. Just my preference. A2 buttstock on the Mk 12 works great (lighter, it's only 5.56 so it's easier manage) on the 7.62 guns it takes a little creativity to get it to fit my ogre-sized body. Used a little velcro and cut up a puss pad to fix the comb height problem, then I extended the buttplate out all the way out and used some velcro and taped a limbsaver pad on to fix it on the plate to solve the length of pull problem. Can't see it in the pic, though, but I think you can picture that pretty easily.
I know what you're thinking, and yes the pad gets in the way of the charging handle but the velcro is easy to manipulate imo.
I use the PRS on my personal LR308 (a mark 11 clone) and I like it mucho better than the A2.

gun-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSPKurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a JP adjustable trigger on my LR308, and am not happy with it. If i can't find someone to make it feel better, I may go to the Geissele. </div></div>

I had the rra national match, just got the chip mccormick drop in single stage and love it. very crisp and have not had one problem with it. I used one in my 223 ar for the mammoth match in KY and fell in love with it. I have never used Geissele but hear great things as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr.Maim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good list wnroscoe. Luckily I'm almost there, as per your list! Questions:

1) Single Stage adjustable or a good two-stage like a Geissele SSA-E?
2) Why the adjustable gas block?
3) Why replace the metal DPMS mags? Do they suck? I have a stack of them, unfired.

</div></div>

Been away from this thread for a little bit. Sorry for the delayed response.

1. Single stage for me but, that’s just a personal thing. The two stage Gisele is very good as well.

2. The DPMS LR rifles typically are way over gassed. The Adj block is a way to over come that and tune the rifle to your ammo. Softer recoil and less abusive to the buffer system as a whole.

3. Yes, the metal mags suck ass in comparison

Take all the money you were gonna spend on the rifle and put it into ammo and learn to drive that 16"er

chaser thats whats up ,, after i get that scope we going to give it a work out,, i cant wait i just order some 308 already stocking up.....

I picked up an LR308, and I agree with the too fawking heavy comment above. So, I switched out the barrel for an 18" fluted from DPMS, and it currently have a 4-rail from MW Industries, though I have a JP handguard waiting for install. I've got a Timney single stage trigger and a JP adjustable gass block.

Here's where I wanted to input my 2cents. The stock. I ditched the A2, and briefly considered the PRS, but since I wanted to go lighter weight, I went with a Magpul CTR and this little toy from Larue:
http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-risr-reciprocating-inline-stock-riser
I fuckin love it, Light, compact, and puts my head where it needs to be.

There's a SS 3x9 on top of it, sitting in a Larue mount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PolishHandgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I choose the DPMS in 260 over one in 308.

I have been reloading over 40 years.

I also bought a Swedish Mauser in 6.5 x 55 years ago so i like the 6.5s.</div></div>

A 260 sweet can you get a 300 short mag for the 308lower