• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS MK12 barrel/ spr build (update w/pics)

Re: DPMS MK12 barrel

I know everybody likes to knock DPMS gear but I actually heard their barrels are alright. It wouldn't be my first choice for an SPR build (Douglas from HCS would), I'm sure it will serve its intended purpose. Post some pics when she's built!!

I wondered about these simply because of the price. When I was looking, it sounded like they got consistently good reviews for accuracy.

One thing that was mentioned was that the barrel was not contoured correctly for the Ops Inc collar. If you are going to use the Ops Inc, I would check to see if this is true and if it has been fixed.

i guess dpms has mixed reviews, but ive had two 16 inchers that are plenty accurate.

mil.dot, well good thing i purchased a SF brake instead.

I have their mini-sass 1:8 heavy 18" barrel on an SPR, and I think they are decent barrels. YRMV...but with bulk 62grs, I have shot under 1moa groups at 100yds and hit steel at over 1000yds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Megahoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have their mini-sass 1:8 heavy 18" barrel on an SPR, and I think they are decent barrels. YRMV...but with bulk 62grs, I have shot under 1moa groups at 100yds and hit steel at over 1000yds. </div></div>

Same barrel, same results. Not bad for a $200 hunk of steel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jerseymike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i guess dpms has mixed reviews, but ive had two 16 inchers that are plenty accurate.

mil.dot, well good thing i purchased a SF brake instead. </div></div>

Most people that give DPMS barrels bad reviews are one of 2

1. A DPMS out shoot their more expensive barrel.

2. They never owned a DPMS.

I would put my DPMS up against any gun and I have won lots of money at the range when people think "Oh it's just a DPMS!"

I will be using the same barrel for my next build.

I can echo the positive feedback. I have been impressed with the accuracy from my DPMS MK12 barrel.

I bought one recently and while I haven't put a lot of rounds down it yet, I have yet to have it print a 5 shot group at 100yds of more than 1.25". So far I've only been working on loads with 77gr smk's but I may try some 75gr Hornady bthp soon because I haven't been able to get a consistent .5-.6" load yet with the smk's.

I have confidence that it will shoot that well with the right load due to my past experience with DPMS barrels, so I will keep on trying to find that .5" load. I have yet to see one prove me wrong, although I'm sure there are some out there that aren't up to snuff. Any manufacturer can turn out a lemon, some less/more than others.

I just went through this. I decided to go WOA but the DPMS was a very high contender. All the ACTUAL reviews I could find on the mini-SASS barrel were good

Not the OP, but I really appreciate the feedback from folks who have first-hand experience with this barrel.

I'm seriously looking into a "budget precision AR" along the SPR concept and if the DPMS Mark 12 tube is capable of 1 MOA or better accuracy with a load it likes, then it appears to be a good candidate for my first AR upper build.

For me it came down to the WOA was ~$40 more and carries a slightly better rep. had the DPMS been somewhat more of a cost savings I would have got it. I also didn't want fluting as I have something else planned so that was the final nod

I bought one of these barrels from Brownells at a great price for an SPR type build. At first I was not too impressed with the accuracy. It got much better as I kept shooting it and working with different loads. It will shoot solid MOA groups if I do my part and I've had no problems with it. It cleans up easily. I would buy another.

Thanks for the input, unfortunately my parts wont be arriving this week since mother nature did jersey dirty.

im satisfied with my LR-308 24" shooting flags at 350 yards last weekend shot MOA-sub-moa, averaged about .75

0BE5B585-001D-4215-A196-B3CB8B1CCE79-5890-0000011AEABDD20A.jpg

Got most of all my parts in, just time to assemble.

Can't wait for a range report. I considered using this barrel once, but ended up getting a BCM barrel instead.

I too can say this is a good barrel. Sub MOA with factory match ammo. It's true the Ops Inc collar won't fit, but not a problem for me since I already had AAC.

IMG_6746.jpg

For anyone thinking about one of these barrels it DOES have DPMS stamped on the barrel just behind the flash hider

I bought one of these and am more than satisfied with 5shot groups of .5-1" depending on the load.

Just don't look down the bore with a borescope. UGLY! but it shoots. The olympic barrel it replaced looks like a match grade barrel. Very smooth and no tool marks. No wonder it shot so well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gopherslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Just don't look down the bore with a borescope. UGLY! but it shoots.</div></div>

It will look better after a couple hundred rounds. When I got my sass my gunsmith thought the barrel was DOA but it shot well too.

I sent off an AR barrel to be nitrided a month ago, I get it tomorrow according to UPS, fingers crossed...

Ordered this barrel for my budget SPR build. Should have it tomorrow but will have to wait a few days to shoot it because my dumbass forgot to order a new barrel nut. Hopefully shoots as well as you guys say.

Just finished duracoating and assembly. Waiting on the optics mount and optics as well as the BUIS. Hope it shoots as good as it looks.

D447758A-9035-413E-AB9B-F8FA9095600C-558-00000039E5B0060D.jpg

Upper:

DPMS MK12 Barrel
Sadlak gas block, YHM gas tube
Surefire MB556AR muzzle brake
Midwest Industries gen 2 T series 12.0" rail
YHM upper
PWS BCG
BCM Gunfighter charging handle

Lower:

Stag lower
Bushmaster LPK
RRA two stage trigger
Sierra Precision grip
Magpul trigger guard
Vltor receiver extension, carbine buffer
Sopmod stock

Still a few more things im waiting on .........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not the OP, but I really appreciate the feedback from folks who have first-hand experience with this barrel.

I'm seriously looking into a "budget precision AR" along the SPR concept and if the DPMS Mark 12 tube is capable of 1 MOA or better accuracy with a load it likes, then it appears to be a good candidate for my first AR upper build. </div></div>

If you go with the mini sass you well need a special barrel nut. This barrel is about .050" larger OD then the barrel nuts ID. I believe DPMS makes a hand guard/barrel nut combo or you can just turn a oem barrel nut to fit. I had to remove about .020"+/- from the nuts ID.

dpmssass02.jpg

Midway has mk12 barrel on sale for $162 this month.

Looks good - thanks for posting the pics after getting it together. Is that a FDE or Grey?

Let us know how it shoots.

That came out really nice. I like the color scheme a lot. .

Let us know how it shoots.

Midways sale price....brownells everyday price on the same barrel is cheaper,and thats the way it is... lmao

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Whiskey Rebellion</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can echo the positive feedback. I have been impressed with the accuracy from my DPMS MK12 barrel.</div></div>

+1

My results:
68grBTHP_02a.jpg

68grBTHP_01a.jpg

55grBTip_01a.jpg

Barrel doesn't have many rounds through it yet, so I expect it to get a bit better as it wears in.

Groups were shot on a calm, clear day with a Lead Sled and 3.5-10x scope. Not sure of velocity as I do not have a chronograph. Upper was a no-name "mil-spec" off the Arfcom EE that I lapped. Rifle has a Geissele SSA trigger. Brass was mixed year LC. I'm not sure what primers were used - most likely CCI SR or #41. Ammo was loaded with Lee dies.

For a sub $200 barrel, I'm quite pleased with the results.

This is from a factory DPMS 308 Upper
175 Black Hills Match

600 yards, 1.75 inch group.

600yards.jpg

Yeah, DPMS barrels shoot.

BMT

Took it out today and shot some black hills seconds 77gr 556, tightest it shot was 1/2 moa at 100 but mostly shot 3/4 to 1 min. Im going to try some handloads and see how it likes them.

Has anybody tried this barrel with the Nosler CC 77s? I can't get them to shoot with Varget. I also have some Hornady 75 gr. ammo that shoots under an inch easy with a RRA upper and this barrel hates it as well.

Nope, went by the Nosler manual and ran these and SMKs at 2.260. Although I'm over a grain above what Nosler said was there accuracy load with a Pac-Nor barrel. I guess I can try seating them deeper if they like jumping this much.

I have the DPMS MK12 barrel on my most recent AR. I have shot 75gr Hornady BTHP with sub 1in groups and 55gr hornady FMJBT also with sub 1in groups at 100yds. I hope to take the 75gr out to 600yds this coming spring.

Finally had time to load some ammo, this barrel with handloads put a smile on my face.

77smk, all loads with varget shot well under moa.

1" dots at 100Y

8B103754-3C77-406C-AAFA-215BF0285931-14302-000002D67DC406FC_zps8a44474b.jpg

3B7E8355-CF4B-4606-8A62-76802569186A-14302-000002D68563D858_zps06e0076f.jpg

Also, had a small face lift, i cerakoted it burnt bronze and media blasted the barrel and shot clear cerakote over it. Stock and grip are cerakoted armor black.

282DA1E1-BC5F-4A2C-A388-36CB019E5D96-14571-000002D8D492350C_zps87ad0679.jpg

fngmike, The 77 grain Nosler CC's shoot the best in my rifle with this barrel. I haven't loaded them with varget yet but that's what I'm planning on using next, all I had was CFE223. I also had them seated at 2.260

With the 77gr and CFE223, what velocity are you getting out of the 18" barrel?

Bcp,

Overall, i really like them, quality, fit, function and price theyre hard to beat. Free floating and lock up is tight. Unless youre trying to build a spec mod 0 or just want the looks of the cf rail, you cant beat the midwest gen2 rail

Hell I'm glad I'm not the only one that got that barrel for a "budget" mk12 build. I looked through a number of peoples mk12 build pictures and quickly gave up on the idea, everyone had super legit (expensive) components I wasn't willing to match. As for accuracy of the dmps barrel i put a 20rnd clip in the center(ish) of a steel torso size target at 500yds with some hornady steel match (75grn I think?) I have a couple boxes of black hills 77otm but now I'm to chicken to shoot em, no telling when I'll be able to get em again for the ~$35 I payed if ever.. I'm cheap