• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS Panther LR .308 24"

gatorglockman

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2010
Alabama, US
Okay gents. Never touched one, etc. I am prior service, own AR's, etc.

Is the DPMS worth the 1k in scratch? Accuracy, trigger, etc worthwhile? Can I swap out AR parts for it (ex: adj stock, etc)?

AR10 owners and experienced operators...sound off if you can.

Thanks!

Re: DPMS Panther LR .308 24"

I'm thinking about one of these also, and wonder the same thing that you do. They seem really interesting and (and tacti-<span style="font-weight: bold">cool</span>). People claim they are as accurate as a good bolt action. I really want one in the future. I just ordered a bolt action rifle, so I have to wait a little while.

never shot one, but im parting one together. they will accept any stock that an AR will. i took my pardus off the AR15 and put it on my 308. it fit, needs different buffer and spring, only a PRS made for a 308 will fit properly. the ar15 one will fit, but the cheek pad will interfere with the charging handle. as for the triggers, cant really say, i did see that timney makes a different trigger for the 223 than the 308, but i cant say anything about the pin placement or size or if a trigger group from an ar15 will drop in or what. you can always upgrade the barrel, thats a key to accuracy from what i have read. $1k is decent

I have one and they are great. If you do your part they will hold a MOA no problem, just make sure your bullets match the fast twist rate of the barrel (mine is 1-10) The stock trigger isn't bad but if you replace it with an adjustable one you'll notice a difference. if you like magpul parts, usually anything you can get for an ar 15 you can get for an ar 10 (stocks, grips, etc.). you might look into putting a PRS stock on it; its much better than the A2 and adjustable. If you like the ar 15 i would highly recommend it. just one thing thats an inconvenience is that its sorta on the heavy side, but i don't mind it's worth it
smile.gif
good luck!!

I have the one with the 18" fluted Bull barrel and its a half MOA all day long gun with handloads. Love it and never had a single issue with it. I have much more than 1K into mine.

I have one and like it alot. It's not a bolt gun but the follow up shots are swift and accurate. Here's a video of mine www.youtube.com/woodspider it's video number 3. Well worth the $$$ in my opinion. I do have a 2 stage trigger that breaks nicely.
Get one!! You'll be happy with it.

I have one too. It is probably my favorite rifle right now. It is very accurate with anything I put through it. It shoots under 1/2 in groups all day long with 165 sierra gameking hunting bullets over reloader 15. Mine has the A3 upper upgrade, fluted barrel, and rra nm 2 stage trigger. Here is a pic of it.
lr-308.jpg

Thanks gents!!! Appreciate the feedback,pic and vid!

Yeah, already drooling to get a PRS stock added to it if I buy one. No nay sayers out there yet, so that is encouraging.

I like mine. It's probably not something I'd be humping around in the brush as it's 15lbs unloaded with suppressor. I'm going to be building a shorter lighter version soon. I have a RRA two stage in mine right now which is ok. I still need to work up a load, but it does like Black Hills 175gr match ammo.

Here are a few targets form a shooting session many moons ago. Sadly I haven't had it out shooting for a while, but it's about to get dusted off as I'm heading for a shooting clinic in a few months and need to get things in order. Since shooting these groups I have used the Tubbs bullets to see about the flyers. Not sure it was the best thing to do, but I did it.

I'm also going to swap out optics as well.

8fa8a936.jpg

DPMS308Group2.jpg

DPMS308Group1.jpg

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w2m2_Lo7-IQ"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w2m2_Lo7-IQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Noxspecter, thanks for the pics and youtube! Very nice rifle. Thanks for sharing the vid with the can attached.

BTW: I'd try shooting the DPMS with a standard stock before I spent money on a PRS. I find that most people shoot with them with the cheek piece all of the way down and they add weight to an already heavy rifle. However they do look tacticool if that's what your after.

hey guys. looking at doing some reloading for my dpms 308 lr. going to try the 208 a max anyone reloaded for this gun or have any pointers i would be greatfull for the imfo.

lsm62

no 208's yet but 168 SMK is .40" at 100 yards, 5 shot groups.

168 SMK
Federal GM brass
Federal Match primers
44.0 grains of Varget
case and OAL length is book specs

have not tried without match primers to see if they matter. Most of the time they don't but I got 400 of them for the same price as regular primers so I bought the match ones.

LR-308 24"
Gunsmith'd trigger at 3.5 lbs, Millett LRS-1 Scope. DPMS SASS palm shelf grip.

Am happy with mine I am a devoted bolt shooter, thought I could not be happy with a semi auto, OH how wrong I was. LR-308 SASS, With some 168 grn. honady HPBT MATCH bullet hand load, only tried 3 variations of this load?? maybe luck but I think it'll do as good or better with other bullets! and I'm a believer!! 1/2 moa. @ just over 2500 FPS

Hornady 168 HPBT Match
New WW brass
ww standard primers
IMR 8208 @ 42.5 grns.
2.810 COA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lsm62</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey guys. looking at doing some reloading for my dpms 308 lr. going to try the 208 a max anyone reloaded for this gun or have any pointers i would be greatfull for the imfo. </div></div>

I have some posts(p.6) in the 308 reloading section. My criteria was to be able to remain supersonic and successfully engage 1000 yard targets. I ran the gamut of powders. Working up from slow to faster: Hybrid V100, H4350, Varget, H4895 and Benchmark. Only the last two allow one to achieve a usable load without crunching down on the powder and possibly deforming the nose of the bullet. The H4895 seems to be the ticket. Now YMMV, and please work up a safe load for your rifle.

...Work up to a safe load for your rifle.
DPMS SASS 18" fluted/Magpul mags
Carrier weight added(rounds eject at 2:00)
COAL 2.820(magazine length)
CCI BR2 primers
42.4 grains Hodgdon H4895
MV 2338fps
@1000yds =1335fps(per JBM)

Now this load is hot, any hotter and the primers are just starting to crater. This load is in the middle of an OCW node. Now to reach my stated goal, I only need a MV of 2230fps , that'll keep one comfortably supersonic(1250fps) at 1000 yards. I may not go back to 175 SMKs.

I dont own one yet, but I already confirmed one for under the Christmas Tree for this year.

Its used from a fellow church member who built it not long ago, I think its a DPMS with a 20'' barrel but it may be 18'', bushnell elite 4200, etc.

Only thing he said he didnt like when he built it was the trigger system, but it has since had work on it, and from what I can tell its one of the best shooting rifles in the AR platform.

Best advice I can give you is to get out and shoot one. Yes, it is like an AR but on a totally different level. Get a feel for it, and then make your decision!

Love mine - shoots sub MOA no problem. Will shoot sub 3/4 all the time and it's shot 1/2 MOA once in a while. Never a hiccup with it as far as feeding. Get the Magpul mags though - they seem to run flawlessly in it. Trigger was standard AR (terrible!) so I'd replace it with an aftermarket one. I used a McCormick and love it. Perhaps send JP your lower and have him install one of his triggers - they are great but make sure he puts it in as he sends it back perfect. I also had one by Frank White at CLE that put one of his triggers in and it was beautiful too. Wish the handguard was fluted for cooling though. I'll probably just stick it on the mill and do it myself. The upper is at GAP getting a JP muzzle brake put on right now.

CIMG1781.jpg

Hypertex thanks for the info. I read somwhare that R17 works well but Im already kind of set on varget for now. Seems a safe place to start. Thanks guys for the help

having a hard time finding 208 a max bullets. any hints on a spot that may have some. i checked midway,cabelas,bass pro and natchez with no luck. also tried a bunch of online sights from google shopping.

I usually order from powder valley, good price but they are out of stock at the moment also.

when the online sites fail I check local sporting goods stores.

Would be nice to see some more groups in this with all the accuracy claims. Regardless the group posted looks good!

I'll shutup and post one later this weekend
shocked.gif

I've been floating around a couple ideas on builds but decided on gun to pull double duty. Was gonna go with a 5r, then went to a 6.8x43 ITS urban brawler. Finally made up my mind on building a 308 piece by piece so it'll be custom to my specs. You guys have any ideas on barrel length. I was thinking a barrel with GAP unless you guys think the DPMS is as good.

Hopps, Here is your photo. The shot in the orange is a cold bore shot. The group is 5 rounds of the load listed above. The barrel is starting to shoot better cold bore shots but to start with they were always about .75" low and a little left. This pic was taken the day we tested the rounds for the first time. I also tried 43.5 but they were about an inch or so groups. My cold bore shot is still a little low but only by about .30" now. I need to start taking my calibers to the range with me I guess.

44gr.jpg

targetwithdime.jpg

I'll try and get a photo of the rifle up as soon as they fix my laptop.

Reference the cold bore shot. How are you loading the first round? Are you using the bolt release or are you pulling the charging handle to full extendion and releasing it?

The reason I'm asking is I have a Rock River LAR-8 that for the longest time would always put the first shot out of the mag .6" high, I was using the bolt release to close the bolt. I started pulling charging handle to full spring compression (like the recoil of the subsequent rounds being fired) The first round fliers went away. I'm now getting (belive it or not) .400 - .730" groups from this LAR-8 A4 with the standard 20" barrel.

It might not be the key but I think the chambering of the rounds is more consistent this way thus more consistent groups.

m25 bs how do you like that rra? I order one the other day and now I heard that they were jamming up? Tell me i made a good choice.

I like it as I said it is shooting very well. It was initally running 1-1.5" from it's standard barrel. I ran a Tubbs barrel polishing kit now it shoots .4-.75" (5 shot groups) It runs fine I have had a couple FN mags that didn't want to run right but I culled them out. I got bunch of new Isreali mags they work.

24" barrel here. Tried 165 hornadays and 168 matchkings with h335 so far. Tried a box of winchester 150gr factory ammo. Shot .5" group at 100 with all 3.Trying to pick out a better scope right now, and stretch it out some

Gator,
In August I will be buying a DPMS 308. I posted 2 questions on here before making my decesion. Our Fellow Hide members helped me.
1. I asked how accurate are the DPMS .308?
I was told to make sure you break in the barrel according to DPMS Specs or using Tubbs and the rifle is more than capable of SUB MOA at 100 yds using no less than 168 Grain BTHP i.e. Fed Gold Match
2. I asked if AR-15 triggers are compatible for the 308 platform?
I was told yes, but you have to watch out to make sure of a few things. That the springs will be heavy enough to ignite the primers on Military spec/grade ammo so you wont have light primer strikes, to make sure that the hammer will be beefy enough to withstand that impact from the much heaver .308 Bolt carier group and to make sure that it wont interfere with the timing.
So i am going with a Timney Drop in single stage 4 lbs that is designed for the AR-10 / DPMS 308 platform. I am going to stay with the A-2 stock with a Black Hawk Adjustible Cheek Weld and see how that feels before buying the Magpull PRS Stock.I am very seriously considering a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20 mil dot with the target turrnets. I am debating on if I would really need a lit reticle or not seeing how I have access to night vision equiptment. I hope Iwas able to help

Zebra,

Ditto for what you've heard but let me add...the butt plate. My DPMS came with the sharpest checkering I've ever felt. A couple of hits with a sanding block knocked the tips off and increased my comfort level 10 fold. I have been a bolt guy in .308 forever but always wanted an FN FAL. Got one, love it, got a DPMS, love it better. A word on mags. I ordered C-Product mags at about $16 each. Work great tough as nails. Check em out at: http://www.cproductsllc.com/shop/index.php?cPath=22_39&osCsid=cdd3f0253eebcb4854b886c4097a8dad

Zebra/Vux-

My LR-260 is the same thing with a different tube on it, no other changes. Handloads with the 123 Amax shoot in the .7's at 300yd. I've shot numerous 5 round groups that stay under .6" at 100yd with it. This is with them feeding from the mag.

I can't shake a stick at that kind of repeatability.

I use the Pmags for it, I've really liked my experiences with them in the smaller platform and the extra $1/each they cost over the Cproducts mags is a non-issue to me.

My barrel break-in procedure was to go out and shoot it. I cleaned it with WipeOut after about 100 rounds. I don't believe in barrel break in procedures, nor do I subscribe to putting a fire lapping compound down the bore of a gas gun.

Bohem,
Its funny you mention that,I have allways heard that it would depend on who you ask if they would tell you to break a barrel in or not. I would be curious to see if there is any documentation of shooting a barrel then using the same type of rifle and a firelapping or breaking in a barrel and seeing a tighter group? Anyone?

Zebra-

Take a look at this thread. I didn't subscribe to it before I came here and heard about break in, I'd never seen the rifles that I had rebarreled shoot better as the barrel "wore in". I don't believe it now either. The first groups I fired from my 6.5-06 last week were in the .6" range from a bipod only @ 100yd. That's the limit of my shooting ability. I shot groups yesterday at 200yd with a front and rear bag and it was in the .3's with the 140 Amax. Total round count is under 50 right now, it's never been cleaned since I wiped the bore out to clear any errant chips from the chambering process.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1562996#Post1562996

Thanks gents. The AR10 is a most definite must have on my list. Looking to take the plunge this fall.

Appreciate the thread links and feedback.

Zebra - get the magpul mags. They run like grease going through a goose in the DPMS.
I'll post a pic of my LR-308 shooting 10 rounds when I get a chance to get to the range. I did this same test last time out and 8 of 10 bullets were touching in a ragged .6-.7 hole and the cold bore and #8 were flyers or me... I'm super happy with mine and would make the same decision again.

Yeah I am ordering 2 of the P Mags the same time I order some other items for my new addition to the family. I settled on a Timney AR - 10 single stage and a IOR Valdada 4-14x50 Illum. MP8 ret. thats SFF. So now I am just looking at the issue of if it matters how you charge the weapon to get a consistant goup and not having your cold bore shoot 1/2 inch lower than the others. Maybe its me but I am not seeing it to be much of an issue with the 24'' barrels though. Maybe its the type of mags people are using or how rough the feed ramps are. Being new to the Semi-Auto side of this, Im kinda puzzeled. I have shot quite a few rounds out of various AR-15/M-4 platforms and never noticed a change in the way my first round impacted the target and the others not being close behind, and seeing how the these big fellas are the same platform, just a bigger bullet with more ass behind it , should it change that much?

I've gone to locking the bolt/carrier back on an empty Pmag then removing the mag and inserting a full mag then releasing the bolt/carrier via the side release on the upper. That way the spring is at the same full compression when it releases - hopefully that will give me consistent loading on the first round and perhaps predicability where it will land. Obviously we can't simulate the incredible force that the rifle imparts on itself when cycling but maybe this method will reduce the first round flyers & gain cold bore predicability.

love all mine

44.5 gr varget
175 gr smk or 178 amax
2.810 oal

equals .5 moa groups or less depending on you

mine likes 168smks. Bought it as a 24 inch with an m60 brake. It first shot about 2moa and was very dissapaointed.
Cut it down to 20 and put a badger fte on it and it now shoot sub moa with the same load. Maybe its the new crown that made the diff.

Sure are missing out. Mine is 24" Fluted. Broke in right, slow with constant cleaning. I never spent that much time breaking in a barrel in my life. With 168 premium, we shot a double bullseye @ 400yds. Three of us shooting. Eleven rounds total. The shooter turned as soon as he pulled the trigger on the flyer and said he pulled off. It was about one inch. Im not only satisfied Im totally stunned. I cant say how it will hold up on the long haul but right now I would not trade it for anything. I mean nothing. I am a lifetime shooter at age 70, a young 70 I would say and have owned a lot of fine firearms but I have no explanation for the performance of this one. It was initially zeroed in with seven rounds with no bore sighting. Unfortunately one of the screws was not as tight as it should have been on the initial outing and was re sighted with four round on the next outing. I know all guns arent made the same, even by the same manufacturer and so I am thrilled to own this particular one. I knew an old time shooter and he would say, "If you get one that had the heart and soul of the maker in it and you break it in right, it will almost shoot for you. I got a .444 and I cant miss. It is one of those guns." Well, like I said I got one of those guns.