• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS Panther LR-308 VS Panther LRT-SASS

dartvidar

Private
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2010
Is it any technically difference between the DPMS Panther
LR-308 and the DPMS Panther LRT-SASS ??
Is it the trigger, grip, rail and stock that’s the biggest difference between this two models. I have planed to convert a LR-308 into a DPMS Panther LRT-SASS.

What should I do to get a good sniper rifle out of a LR-308?

Re: DPMS Panther LR-308 VS Panther LRT-SASS

The main differences between the two are the barrell, SASS uses a 18" fluted ss, LR a 20" heavy chrome moly, trigger on the SASS is a adjustable JP vs the standard crappy ar15 trigger on the LR. Everything else is either cosmetic or for ergonomics, ie the PRS stock on the SASS is nice, and I like the pistol grip that DPMS but on the SASS as well, but other than making it more comftrobable to shoot, the stock, grip, rails etc. wont make it shoot better.
Best thing you can do to make this shoot well is put some nice glass on it. This should make some pretty respectable groups out of the box as long as you have the glass to make it happen. Buy all the other stock and rails and stuff if you just want it to look cool.
But the LR with some good glass = nice long range rifle (not a sniper rifle, only snipers have sniper rifles, the rest of us just have long range rifles)

The SASS have 18" Fluted barrell, and LR a 20" heavy chrome moly. Shorter barrell and fluted, is this done to get better weight? Is it any difference in the long range precision on this two barrels?

I dont know the specs for the barrell contours, so I cant say what the weight difference will be. ChromeMoly and Stainless are roughly the same weight, although Chromemoly is slightly stronger than SS. CM will allow you to have a lighter countour barrel while still having the same strength as a heavier countour SS barrell. I would guess that the two barrels have roughly the same countour, but since the SS barrel is fluted and two inches shorter it will be considerably lighter than the barrel on the LR. Most long range precision rifles use SS because it is less affected by temperature changes than CM. While both CM and SS can be made into really accurate barells, i would guess that the SS barell on the SASS is a high quality match grade barrel while the LR barrel is nothing special. The SASS system as a whole will probably be more accurate out of the box, but LRs tend to shoot very well too

My buddy had a SASS and it shot alright, but not as well as it should have for the money. So he sold it and bought a tac 20 similar to lr-308. It shot alot better and was several hundred less. YMMV

I can see the DPMS LR-308 using .308 Upper Receiver Model: 308-UR-36, and the DPMS SASS using .308 A3 Receiver (Assembled) Model: 308-FTT-EA1. Do anyone know whats the difference between this two models are, and why they use different models on LR-308 and SASS?

the contour is very thick on the reciver side of the gas block. i own a DPMS SASS and cn tell you its kinda nose heavy because of the thick contour of the barrel. and yes, the JP adj trigger is leaps and bounds better than the standard. and i also like it because its single stage and not such a leap in feeling from my other rifle. i have been completely pleased with mine. by the time i bought the LR308 and converted it into what i wanted, i would have spent as much or more than i did on the SASS. but to be honest, if you want serious range and accuracy out of an LR 308, just get a nice barrel chambered and installed by someone good and it will shoot. all the rest of the stuff is just personal preferance.

i have been very happy with mine, zero issues and the fit and finish on mine was excellent. accuracy was what i would like to expect for a rifle that cost $2k+ but was still surprising from an out of the box 18" AR platform. after adjusting th trigger a little i have left it pretty much untouched and still enjoy it. it is probably going to hit the road to GAP and get rebarreled in 6.5 very soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dartvidar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can see the DPMS LR-308 using .308 Upper Receiver Model: 308-UR-36, and the DPMS SASS using .308 A3 Receiver (Assembled) Model: 308-FTT-EA1. Do anyone know whats the difference between this two models are, and why they use different models on LR-308 and SASS? </div></div>

After sitting and looking at picture of the LR-308 and the SASS upper receiver, can I see the upper receiver is higher on the LR-308 than the SASS. I will use DPMS 4 Rail Free Float Tube, and this you get in two hights, one for the LR-308 and the SASS upper receiver. I will install Troy steel sights in addition to a scoop, so I will need too use a free float tube that’s in level with the rail. How big scoop can I install on the LR-308, if I use a free float tube that’s in level with the rail, before I got any problems? The higher receiver on the LR-308 is probably installed so they can use a bigger scoop, but this benefit will I loose when I use a free float tube in level with the upper receiver.

Does anyone know the height difference between these two receivers?
I just wonder how it will be with the stock height, if I install a large scoop on the LR-308 receiver, when I have a free float tube in level with the upper receiver? It will probably be necessary to use a little bit higher scoop mount.

Which barrel should I install on a LR-308 to get best accuracy? I will build the rifle from scratch so I have to option to choose the barrel and parts of choice. What type, length and twist is recommended?

I'm currently in the process of replacing my factory LR-308 'Slick Side' reciever with the lower A3 style. As near as I can tell, the slick side is .375" taller than the A3. If you were to use a free float tube that matches the taller reciever, you would need some rings that measure a minimum of 1.25" from center of scope tube to base to clear the rails. This also depends on the diameter of your objective. Mine is a 50mm and with the 1.25" measurement my scope cover was brushing the free float tube. On the slick side reciever a set of .75" or taller rings would probably set the scope too high for proper cheeck weld. I was using a set of medium height Burris XTR rings (.5") that worked very well, but I wasn't using a matching free float tube. I'll try to post some pics of my prevouis setup, and new one later today.

As far as barrels go, many people around here would suggest sending your upper assy to GAP and let them install a barrel. From what I understand they typically charge around $700 for this service. The type, length, and twist is up to your loads (if hand loading) and the distance you want to shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dartvidar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dartvidar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can see the DPMS LR-308 using .308 Upper Receiver Model: 308-UR-36, and the DPMS SASS using .308 A3 Receiver (Assembled) Model: 308-FTT-EA1. Do anyone know whats the difference between this two models are, and why they use different models on LR-308 and SASS? </div></div>

After sitting and looking at picture of the LR-308 and the SASS upper receiver, can I see the upper receiver is higher on the LR-308 than the SASS. I will use DPMS 4 Rail Free Float Tube, and this you get in two hights, one for the LR-308 and the SASS upper receiver. I will install Troy steel sights in addition to a scoop, so I will need too use a free float tube that’s in level with the rail. How big scoop can I install on the LR-308, if I use a free float tube that’s in level with the rail, before I got any problems? The higher receiver on the LR-308 is probably installed so they can use a bigger scoop, but this benefit will I loose when I use a free float tube in level with the upper receiver.

Does anyone know the height difference between these two receivers?
I just wonder how it will be with the stock height, if I install a large scoop on the LR-308 receiver, when I have a free float tube in level with the upper receiver? It will probably be necessary to use a little bit higher scoop mount.

Which barrel should I install on a LR-308 to get best accuracy? I will build the rifle from scratch so I have to option to choose the barrel and parts of choice. What type, length and twist is recommended?
</div></div>