• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS Recon (Gen1): Rebarrel or Start over

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
Have a Gen1 DPMS Recon (16" 308)

So as AR people go, I think I want a rifle length gas system, AGB (aka I changed my mind). And also a different caliber

While this is not a high end item, this rifle has served me well (I got the lower JUST how I like it)--HOWEVER, with DPMS gone tits up and no way to get more DPMS uppers, I was thinking of just doing an AERO build or something similar so I can have my multiple uppers. (AKA I have my 16 recon for hunting, 20" Rifle length for matches, 24" 6.5 for Manbun night at the Tool Box). Any thoughts on which way to go? I'm thinking DPMS is now D-E-A-D DED as a 308 platform, and I just need to suck it up and move on.

DPMS Inc is back in business, but at this time they are only selling complete Gen 1 large frame rifles and some parts (in addition to a lot of AR-15 stuff). Even though DPMS Gen1 is considered a pattern and there are other manufacturer's uppers that will work, it's always best not to mix brands of uppers, lowers, and to some degree LPKs. So your shared lower with the same manufacturer uppers is a good idea. You might want to look into the LMT MWS and just swap barrels, but it will be much more expensive and a long wait.

DPMS still exist as mentioned above but its not really known at this point what they may or may not support moving forward.

With that being said there are alot of good 308 AR's available these days and being able to build up 3 uppers is not a bad option.