• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS REPR issue

twadsw01

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2010
Durham, NC
Picked one up yesterday, but have not fired it yet. Took it home to clean it and dry fire with some snap caps and noted that charging the rifle is extremely difficult. Moving the BCG to the rear with the rifle fully assembled is about all I have the strength to do using one hand. It's not binding inside the upper I don't think, because moving the BCG to the rear by means of the charging handle is easy once the upper is removed from the lower. It seems like, when the rifle is assembled, the added pressure of the buffer spring is what requires all of the effort to move it rearward, but I would not expect that the amount of effort to move it would be so high.

I can see this potentially happening because the rifle is new, parts haven't had a chance to wear-in/break-in yet, but I don't know much about these things. Will this stiffness most likely get better with use, after several hundred rounds have been sent down the barrel?

Re: DPMS REPR issue

That would be my guess.. I have had AR's that were pretty tight and catchy... then after a few mags they start to smoothe out..

Take it out.. shoot it... and see how it does... My guess is that it will all work out... If not and other issues arise... then that is what the warranty will take care of.

Matt.

I have owned 3 DPMS rifles, they all are a little stiff out of the box. Should loosen up after a few trips to the range.

Sounds good. I hope that's the issue and nothing else. Like I said, manipulating it with the upper and lower separated was easily done with one hand, so it doesn't seem like it's a defect, at least from just that simple diagnostic.

Seems like a nice rifle so far tho.

Problem "solved"...

Took the REPR to the range to fire some cheap practice ammo tonight: Winchester white box 7.62mm 147gr FMJ. Had to literally beat every single round from the chamber by using wood blocks on the charging handle.

Rough chamber, or burr on the edge of chamber preventing smooth extraction.

I really would prefer to have nothing to do with DPMS after I get rid of this rifle. If I could send it back, that would be optimal, but what are the chances of that happening?

Yep, it's under warranty. I'll give them a call as soon as possible next time they're open and see what they can do about this.

If I had it to do over again, I'd just wait on a custom. This rifle costs as much as I could have gotten one from GAP for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: twadsw01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep, it's under warranty. I'll give them a call as soon as possible next time they're open and see what they can do about this.

If I had it to do over again, I'd just wait on a custom. This rifle costs as much as I could have gotten one from GAP for. </div></div>

I sure hope you didn't spend that much.

DPMS has been building rifles for years with poorly headspaced barrel extensions, and rough chambers.

What your rifle probably needs is a new barrel.
If the headspace is tight, you may be able to fix it with a proper chamber reamer, and some headspace gauges.
Ask around here and maybe someone will rent/lend you one.

Sounds good, but the problem is that I don't have the experience or space to work on a rifle and do all of this chamber re-reaming, etc.

It's still a problem because of the principle of it though - I paid A LOT of money for a DPMS rifle, which is supposedly constructed with such high quality in mind, and it can't even fire 2 rounds consecutively without a malfunction.

The pisser is that when you send them your rifle, they'll tell you they did all these things to it, and it'll likely still have the same problem with nothing done to remedy it.
That was my last experience with them on the SAME issue (twice).

Their customer service was lousy, their "tech" people were lacking in knowledge, and they seemed very eager to let me know that it was probably my fault to begin with.

It was for buying their incompetently built product.

They should vend out the chambering, and headspacing of barrels.
This exact issue has plagued them for many years.
They've even done this to police departments.
It's a crap-shoot what you get, although I really thought that those days were behind them.
I don't buy anything they build, so I wouldn't know.

Be polite, persistent, and know that this may take two or three trips to dpms to get it fixed.
If they won't fix it, I'll help you.
All is not lost.

Wonder how they can use the letters REPR. Has it already been generic-a-fied?
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongRangeDDS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wonder how they can use the letters REPR. Has it already been generic-a-fied?
frown.gif
</div></div>

This topic has been covered here alot. Repr stands for rapid engagement precision rifle. Which is the connotation that the military gave to the test rifles. Which....dpms came in second in the military trials. Above a few very prominent names mind you. Repr is not an industry name, it is a military one.