• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

DPMS SASS-Bolt Not staying open on last round-

aquinas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2010
Il
About half the time when the mag is empty, the bolt fails to stay open and I have to rack it manually.

Took the bolt out and oiled it up...no luck.

Any suggestions?

Re: DPMS SASS-Bolt Not staying open on last round-

+1...try a different mag and see if your problems resolve. If not, then:

1) What ammo are you using?

2) What type/mfg of mags are you using?

3) What spring/buffer are you running?

4) Is your gas block is properly lined up?

5) You said you "oiled up" your bolt, but is your rifle properly cleaned/lubed otherwise?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1...try a different mag and see if your problems resolve. If not, then:

1) What ammo are you using?

2) What type/mfg of mags are you using?

3) What spring/buffer are you running?

4) Is your gas block is properly lined up?

5) You said you "oiled up" your bolt, but is your rifle properly cleaned/lubed otherwise? </div></div>

Answers to ORD:

1.Ladder testing 39.0 to 43 grains h4895 in .3 increments. Bolt failed to catch on lighter and heavier loads.

2. Factory DPMS mags.

3.Stock spring/buffer---what upgrade do you (or anyone) suggest?

4. How do you check the gas block. Have Zediker's AR book and Fulton's assembly guide...will look.

5.Chamber, bolt, carrier, barrel and lugs all clean. What else is there?

Thanks

I would check your bolt stop / release. If you are not using a Mag-Pul then invest in them its the best 20 bucks you will ever spend for your DPMS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zebra308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would check your bolt stop / release.</div></div>This, make sure it moves freely, give it a light oiling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zebra308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would check your bolt stop / release. If you are not using a Mag-Pul then invest in them its the best 20 bucks you will ever spend for your DPMS. </div></div>

Do you mean a Mag-Pul bolt stop/release?

Mystery may be solved.

Took the buffer assembly apart and it was bone dry. No oil...nothing. It's swimming in Lubriplate now. We'll see what it does next range session.