• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS SASS RIFLE I need a review

THE SENTINEL

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2005
USA
I am thinking of buying this rifle.all I have found on review search
is how pretty it looks.I need a review about this rifle.

Re: DPMS SASS RIFLE I need a review

I don't own this one but have two DPMS lowers (AR15 & 10) and own/owned four uppers (223 Sweet 16, 260 LR, 308 TAC, 300 SAUM LR).
They have all been 100% performers and except for the TAC shoot sub MOA. (It only does about 1.3 MOA with a 16" bbl and 1-4 Leupold).
The folks I know who own 308 LRs can shoot with any factory bolt gun, so I would assume the SASS would do as well..... IF you can find one to buy!
good shooting

Off topic but where did you find that Eddie with the Marine Corps flag picture? I'd love to find a larger one for wallpaper.

Well, Ive decided to keep mine. Ive been tweaking loads for it, and installed a JP single stage trigger. I also got a different grip than the one pictured. I got one of the Panther target grips with the palm shelf. IMO, the grip change was the single biggest help.

Im now getting consistant .6-7 MOA 5 shot groups. Im running 180SMKs @ 2470FPS. Thats all I can ask for.

Down sides are-
Beats brass up a little.
Dirtys the shit out of brass.
For its size its a bit heavy

One thing that urks me is my rifle has a pretty long throat.
With the 180SMKs Im jumping .090. Im seating at 2.83. That will fit the mag with a little clearance. Same bullet to hit the lands is 2.92.

I did shoot the 175SMKs too, they shot a little better, but I bought 2500 of the 180SMKs for cheap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Down sides are-
Beats brass up a little.
</div></div>

Put an adjustable gas block on for healthier brass.

I have to say I think once you get to the SASS level you are in an overpriced range.

You are better off picking up a new LR 308 base model with the JP trigger, might be $1200-1300 tops, sell the upper that you should get $600 easy even without the bolt carrier/bolt group, buy a PRS at $250 gets you a set up lower for $850 total. Buy an A3 upper at what $200, barrel extension $50, handguard $350 tops

That leaves you $1000 to put into a custom barrel installed and other toys you might want, you can bet for that amount you can have something built that will spank the DPMS version all day.

Now you could build one from scratch, but the problem is parts, bolts etc. are still very hard to find right now. So the advantage of buying the new base model is you have all the parts you need to have someone do the barreling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Down sides are-
Beats brass up a little.
</div></div>

Put an adjustable gas block on for healthier brass. </div></div>

Tubb's Carrier Weight System helps in that area also.

okie

I'm with Todd on this one. I've got a mildy customized LR308 and think it's a pretty good rifle but I think the SASS is overpriced especially for the extra stuff they put on it. For just a bit more you can get a GAP custom LR308 that'll be a much better rifle.