• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dr Wohler (redux)

Bisley01

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2022
Uk,Somerset
I posted this in another section a while ago, and only now realised that I should have perhaps posted it in here. so...

I have aquired a scope marked "Dr Wohler SAAR 2 1/2 X 3071". I'm trying to identify it, is it a mil-spec scope, or civilian.
From what I have found out so far, Wohler made scopes/optics for the Wehrmacht, however there are no Third Reich markings on the scope, so I'm thinking it may be civilian ??? I cannot find reference to this specific scope anywhere, so any ideas please?
Many thanks
B

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 12.06.41.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 12.06.41.png
    2 MB · Views: 68
  • Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 12.07.03.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 12.07.03.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 12.07.21.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 12.07.21.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 76
No expert, but without any German military markings, it’s presumably civilian. The German Army was quite consistent and meticulous in marking Wermarcht weapons, including K98 sniper scopes. The scope lacks military features as well. (Never seen a reference to any 2.5x scopes used on WWII era K98 sniper rifles either). That’s my opinion.

Last edited:
Agree with RG.

Also, the Germans very commonly had retailers order scopes from various major Mfg. and mark them with a trade or retail name. They also sold parts back and forth so that many of the scopes are quite alike.
Great scope. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: ZG47A and Bisley01
No expert, but without any German military
markings, it’s presumably civilian. The German Army was quite consistent and meticulous in marking Wermarcht weapons, including K98 sniper scopes. The scope lacks military features as well. (Never seen a reference to any 2.5x scopes used on WWII era K98 sniper rifles either). That’s my opinion.
Your opinion is greatly valued, thanks for the reply!

Agree with RG.

Also, the Germans very commonly had retailers order scopes from various major Mfg. and mark them with a trade or retail name. They also sold parts back and forth so that many of the scopes are quite alike.
Great scope. Thanks for posting.
Thank you also for the informed response, very helpful!

My only exposure to Wohler scopes is they are very desirable in the SIG world for the PE57 and AMT rifles as they are so rare as to command many thousands ie; 7-10K for a Sig version with mount in fine condition. The link above may shed some light but the 2.5 power if that's what it means seems like it might be another type of sighting device as the Germans were the best optics in the world WW1-2.

Reactions: Bisley01
I posted this in another section a while ago, and only now realised that I should have perhaps posted it in here. so...

I have aquired a scope marked "Dr Wohler SAAR 2 1/2 X 3071". I'm trying to identify it, is it a mil-spec scope, or civilian.
From what I have found out so far, Wohler made scopes/optics for the Wehrmacht, however there are no Third Reich markings on the scope, so I'm thinking it may be civilian ??? I cannot find reference to this specific scope anywhere, so any ideas please?
Many thanks
B
Dr Wohler 2.5’s were also used on the Carl Gustav recoilless rifle as a sighting devise. Your‘s appears to be an earlier version. @mewillis, finding a 4X Wohler for the SIG AMT was an awesome score. I’ve been on a quest for one for years.

You misunderstood my post, I only referred to that SIG version as it’s my only knowledge of the Wohler scopes except for the fact that they were used for many other purposes such as your reference to the Gustav, I could only wish to own one with the original mount for my AMT. Too ridiculously expensive now to be a serious quest at least for me.

Reactions: RTESanteFe