• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Drag Bag (Eagle) vs Eber Gunslinger?

AJBello

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2008
Salem, OR
The recent post by Triad regarding the Eagle MC drag bags is causing this dilemma. I currently have an Eberlestock Gunslinger, and am fairly happy with it, but not really in love with it. Either will be used for hauling rifle and shooting gear from the car to the range, and some short hiking around in the woods, to shooting spots and hunting spots, etc. I don't really foresee doing any long hikes with either, maybe 1-2 miles tops.

I'd really like to hear from those who have direct experience with both. I like the Eber okay, but am just wondering if the Eagle would perhaps be better for me. I don't really like the way my rifle stores in the Eber, pushing it in, dragging it out... it's kind of clumsy and a pain sometimes. I DO like the capacity of the Eber, and am curious how the Eagle compares (although the external pockets look pretty generous on it). I'd also like to hear how comfy the Eagle is in backpack mode. It doesn't have a hip belt as the Eber does, so I imagine not quite as comfy? Also, is the drag bag useful at all as a mat? I currently carry an Eber padded mat in the pack, but am not sure of the Eagle would have room to tote it.

I'm thinking the Eber is a superior pack, and not as good of a "rifle holder", while the Eagle is great at holding the rifle, and probably just so-so in backpack mode? Part of me just feels compelled to get the Eagle as it doesn't seem like the MC drag bags are available too often. I just don't want to shell out the coin if it's not going to work well for me. Thanks to anyone that has any input.
grin.gif

Re: Drag Bag (Eagle) vs Eber Gunslinger?

Reeeeeealy glad you asked this question. I'm dealing with the exact same dilemma. I just couldn't hang so I thought I would buy both, use whatever worked best and use the other for my other rifles.

I just got the VooDoo Drag bag and will be trying it out here shortly, and for the life of me I keep bouncing back and fourth on the G-Slinger and the Phantom.

Then just to add to my confusion, Tony (TAB Gear) is hooking me up with his Rifle Cover, Mat, and Rear Bag, all in ACU/ARPAT camo.

Then to add just a dash more confusion, The King...a.k.a. Shankster had to pop in on another thread and said the Eber was noisy, however I did notice most of the quality B-Pack's are made of the same 1000d Cordura as well. I can live with that as long as it can hold-up.

-Pat

I'd like to hear more on this as well. I have and Eagle HSRC, and I'm thinking I need to rig up a belly band for better carry in the field. Even with a pretty light load most all the weight was on my shoulders and wore my back out. The small waist strap did very little. Still, it worked great as a shooting mat.

I have both a nice dragbag and a Gunslinger. To me they are two different tools. Most of the time I am using the dragbag for range time and the gunslinger for matches.

Depends on what youre using it for AJ.

Frankly, Ive used both. I'd take the Eberlestock any day of the week. It can carry all the same stuff (probably more, Ive never done a side by side capacity test). Plus, its more comfortable to carry, and has more organizational options than the drag.

As others said it depends how you use it. I have the Gunslinger, Tac Ops, 2 Blackhawks, the large Galati (I'm going to sell the Blackhawks and the Galati) and I wouldn't think of doing one or two mile hikes with the drag bags in backpack mode. For the range get the dragbags and for being mobile get the Gunslinger.

I say get both. I have a Phantom, Tac Ops(the best) and a HSRC. I use my Tac Ops the most but the Phantom or Gunslinger is also a must. The HSRC is nice but only a case and mat. I patrner uses the HSRC and an old ALICE pack. I tried but no such thing as a do all kit. More then once I just use the phantom as a pack and carry my rifle from my PD truck to the site or hide. It seems that I have like 10 cases for this one rifle including the Storm hard case which I never use.

Had a Tac Force stryker drag bag, didn't like it sold ito cumbersome.
Had a Gunslinger carried it to the range the first time and tried to keep up with everyone else when changing stages....it sucked, sold it.
Bought a Tac Force stryker mat and a backpack as in like a school book type back pack, one of the back packs that National Guard gives out, one of my friends won it at a shoot and I conned him out of it, I love this system! Drop my rifle which is rolled up in the mat, take off back pack, unfold mat, shoot, fold it up, put on back pack and walk.
If I had it all to do over again I should have looked down the line at the first shoot I went to 9 of 10 shooters had their rifle in a mat and a backpack...

I have been debating between getting the Phantom or the Gunslinger also.

The hang-up that I am having is will a 27" finished length barrel be too long to use it comfortably? I was going to "modify" a pack I already have for this, however the pack seemed a little too short, and there would be too much barrel hanging out the bottom...

Just curious if anyone is using one with a rifle of this length..I assume lots of people are using the 26" length with this pack....

Just a sidenote to the HSRC straps:
Any gear one buy may not be 100% perfect for ones specific needs, requirements or wants, being otherwise a perfect product "as intended".

I got the HSRC x-long edition from Triad a few weeks ago.
No time to properly fieldtest yet, but since Im rather spoiled regarding carry systems, I noticed immediately that packing a 20+ lbs rifle + some gear in added molle-pockets with those shoulder straps and waistband could get old real quick.
Padding is good in the straps but they are attached with regular 1" or so straps making them "flimsy" and not as solid as Im used to from an ergo-ruck, where the shoulder harness is way stiffer.
What I do love about it though, is that the rings attatching straps etc allows one to mount any carry system (shoulder straps + belt) from any backpack, and I happen to have a very ergonomic daypack (with "small" carry system) spare so it may just become the ultimate solution.
Along with quick-release straps or hooks to attach the bag to the side of my ruck for the long hauls, and maybe turning the original straps into some sort of biathlon-style rifle sling (another work in progress)
Just have to make sure that whatever goes on there aint too clumsy to stuff in the pocket.

The bag itself, being flat and thereby close to my back with full control of the load, is perfect for my needs, and quality is top notch, totally worth the cost.

John - out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John lima_mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a sidenote to the HSRC straps:
Any gear one buy may not be 100% perfect for ones specific needs, requirements or wants, being otherwise a perfect product "as intended".

I got the HSRC x-long edition from Triad a few weeks ago.
No time to properly fieldtest yet, but since Im rather spoiled regarding carry systems, I noticed immediately that packing a 20+ lbs rifle + some gear in added molle-pockets with those shoulder straps and waistband could get old real quick.
Padding is good in the straps but they are attached with regular 1" or so straps making them "flimsy" and not as solid as Im used to from an ergo-ruck, where the shoulder harness is way stiffer.
What I do love about it though, is that the rings attatching straps etc allows one to mount any carry system (shoulder straps + belt) from any backpack, and I happen to have a very ergonomic daypack (with "small" carry system) spare so it may just become the ultimate solution.
Along with quick-release straps or hooks to attach the bag to the side of my ruck for the long hauls, and maybe turning the original straps into some sort of biathlon-style rifle sling (another work in progress)
Just have to make sure that whatever goes on there aint too clumsy to stuff in the pocket.

The bag itself, being flat and thereby close to my back with full control of the load, is perfect for my needs, and quality is top notch, totally worth the cost.

John - out </div></div>

I'd like to see what you have come up with. Most my backpacks have the carrying system pretty integrated into the pack. If there is something I could buy which would improve the carrying characteristics of the HSRC, then I'd be all for that. The simple rings that are part of the HSRC are what got me thinking I'd like to add a belly band and that it would be possible.

Thanks!

I know it was not your original comparison, but have you looked at the Eberlestock Drag Bag? Good carrying system/backpack straps, a fair amount of room to stow needed things.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is a 49" gun too long to use the Gunslinger? That question wtill has not been answered. </div></div>

No it is not too long. Last night I stuck my TRG 42 with butt spacers and muzzle brake in mine just to see. Closed it all up and walked around the house and it was fine. I think it is around 51" and I had room to spare...I would guess the max to be at 56 to 58".

I already bugged the hell out of the folks on the shout box, so please don't kill me for taking this to this thread.

As a little prolouge to my issue, here is the not-too-short version:

I use a Pelicase 1750 to transport the rifle in my car, locked up with padlocks, according to german gun laws. (Could lock up a soft case, but I don't want the expensive rifle to be thrown around in the trunk)

Did not cut t he foam yet, still waiting for the sunshade to arrive, so I put a Tasmanian Tiger soft case in the pelibox, 'cause it's better than nothing to protect the rifle until the foam is properly cut. Bought the TT a long time ago and don't use it anymore.

The other stuff I need for the range is stowed in an old Bach backpack and in addition I carry a shooting mat (that BlackHawk one, should've invested the money in a better one, though).

If I take my hand gun with me, the already filled ruck is overcrowded with rain gear, LRF, shooting sock, hearing protection, tools, cleaning kit, ammo, gloves, elbow pads, headgear, handgun case, holster, belt and personal clutter.

My thought, to get to the point, was to purchase either the Gunslinger or the Phantom.

With the Phantom, I would stow my rifle in the drag bag and use the peli as a hard cover for travelling. On the range, I would re-attach the dragbag to the rucksack and got all the gear with me at once.

This would not be as easy with the Gunslinger. However, I read they made the new backpacks without a seperate drag bag for more stability and less weight. I still could put the rifle into the gunslinger on arrival at the range, could be a problem for some ranges/people to unpack the rifle while I am still on the parking lot.

Price-wise, the Gunslinger is cheaper, how about other advantages/disadvantages for each backpack I forgot to take into account?

Since I tend to buy stuff I don't really need, I better ask you guys to help me decide whether I need that ruck or not.

Thanks for reading, and the help.

Here's my vote. Just mailed my payment for mine today.

DBS1.jpg

DBS2.jpg

DBS3JPG.jpg

DBS4.jpg

Just thought I would bring this thread back to life.

I have a very heavy .260 in a AICS and would like to have the mat for shooting in the prone. Which is the best drag bag with mat? I see that the Eagle HSRC and Tac Ops has a mat, which others have a quality one as well?

Thanks for the info. Galati does look like the cheapest of the three.

Anyone want to sell one of the three?

Tac ops, Eagle HSRC, Galati Deluxe?

I figure I try the used route first.

Check out the Midway dragbag. It is not the greatest out there, but it is the least expencive. You can see if you like the whole drag bag concept for about $50 bucks. And it really is a pretty darn good bag.

If you find you want to stick with DB, then you can upgrade, if not, your not out much.

I have one of the midway bags that you can check out if we can get together at a shoot or comp.

Any chance you are going to the Big Piney "F class" shoot on the 27th?

It depends on what you are using it for.

Ive had both and I heve neither now. When I had the Eberlestock Phantom, I bought it thinking that it would be the best of both worlds. Its too cumbersome to get your rifle out of. Then I got the eagle drag bag. It was good, but it was just an overgrown rifle holder. For going to the range, I like the Eagle HSRC. Doubles as a shooting mat and its nice and small and has dual purposes. For matches I like a small pack that holds enough ammo, small tool kit, magazines, earpro and eyepro...I just sling the rifle and use the HSRC for transport to and from the range.

What I do see the value in the Eberlestock is in big multi day matches or a hunting trip in bad weather. You may have to carry rain gear, food, and a lot of extra kit. Keeps the rifle from being slung the whole time and the pack is a lot more comfortable than the Eagle.

OK, old thread, I know, but since I just picked up an HSRC from another Hide member, I thought it was worth digging back up. Looks like good kit, but I haven't shot with it yet.

I have a Phantom, but like Smokin said, it's not the fastest in the world for displacing and that bitch gets heavy and awkward in a HURRY.

Setting up isn't bad (getting it out), but putting it back in can be a challenge with a SASS because the taret knobs and pistol grip get caught on the mouths of the scabbard (I'm pretty sure it wasn't built for a repeater, so that's not really the fault of the pack). Maybe a slicker bolt gun would be easier, not sure; but I'm looking forward to the efficiency of packing up the HSRC.

One thing that I just went to is a Maxpedition Butt pack. So far, i'm diggin' it. The main compartment holds my PVS-22, including the padded case, perfectly, plus bino's. LRF on one side pouch and smoke in the other. The top flap holds my dope book and enviro kit along with all the other admin stuff I need when dropping in for a shot. Molle on the belt allows for mounting a holster, VOK and radio. Plus, one quick unsnap and I have an instant rifle rest. Pretty damn slick so far.

The Maxpedition with a Viper hood and (now HSRC) on me--and my spotter's pack packed with everything else--seems to be getting pretty damn close to optimal for an Urban, short-term/short-hump load-out.

I'll try to report back after a few training days and missions with this load-out if anyone's interested.

S1

I'm surprised no one mentioned Eberlestock Dragonfly. Carry my rifles, food, gear, etc... in it. You can add a side scabbard and carry multiple rifles. I use it for hydration and as a shooting rest. You can take of the top and use it as a fanny pack.