• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Drag Bag, Rifle Backpack/Scabbard combo or ???

blaserman33

Private
Minuteman
May 23, 2011
Phoenix,AZ
I have a new rifle that is too long for my current drag bag so I need to get another one, but I can’t decide if I want to get a Tac Ops or Eberlestock drag bag, or if I want to get a Backpack/Scabbard Type Setup like the Eberlestock Operator or Phantom or maybe the Hazard 4 Overwatch? I know the TacOps is great quality, I just can’t figure out if a combined backpack & scabbard/case would be better. It won’t be used for long walks for hunting, mostly just for Rifle protection during transport & between the car and firing line, and for shoot and walk style matches but drag bags can get really heavy and hard to carry if you put all your ammo, mags, Binos, etc in them. I like how the Phantom can be used just as a drag bag, just a pack, or combined, but how well padded is the scabbard/drag? I have heard it doesn’t carry well when the drag bag is removed. What style do you guys prefer?

Yes, I know it’s been asked before and yes I searched but a lot of the results are older.

Just a heads up, if you are looking at the phantom/operator/gunslinger II brownells has them on sale right now. Just got a GSII to for 247.00, should be arriving tomorrow

Just a heads up, if you are looking at the phantom/operator/gunslinger II brownells has them on sale right now. Just got a GSII to for 247.00, should be arriving tomorrow

That just about makes up my mind. The Phantom is way cheaper there. I would like the Gunslinger cause I don’t think I need a pack as big as the Phantom but the scabbard isn’t large enough for my rifle on the Gunslinger. Plus I like that I could just separate the scabbard, throw the whole thing in a hard case for long traveling and then reattach it when I get to my location.

Never mind, I looked on eberlestocks website and the Phantoms scabbard isn’t long enough either. Does anybody know if the scabbard length they list is only counting the bottom portion? 34” seems short to get a rifle fully enclosed in.

Never mind, I looked on eberlestocks website and the Phantoms scabbard isn’t long enough either. Does anybody know if the scabbard length they list is only counting the bottom portion? 34” seems short to get a rifle fully enclosed in.

I think that is from the bottom of the scabbard to the top of the pack. Then you use a buttstock cover if you want. The buttstock just protrudes from the top of the scabbard. To have a scabbard on a pack that would enclose the whole rifle would interfere with your legs. The top cover isn’t padded because you can shorten or lengthen it depending on how much rifle sticks out. There’s not a lot of concern with hitting the buttstock on something. The important bits are covered.

I’ve been very happy with the shorter Eberlestock drag bag and a im3300 case with no foam. Quite a bit of versatility in that combo.

Backpacks are pretty personal. That said, I bought an Eberlestock pack a couple years ago with the built-in rifle holder, and it went back the next day. I didn't like how the pack fit me or how the gun rode within the bag. I also wasn't a fan of the metal gusset around the drain hole in the scabbard that would've been in contact with my muzzle. I would hope that they have fixed that issue by now though.

I ended-up grabbing some clearance MidwayUSA cases for cheap. I use those cheap cases only for transport to/from the range. When hiking/hunting, I just lash the rifle to a MysteryRanch bag when I want it out of my hands. The Mystery Ranch fit me better and ride much nicer to me - but again, total personal preference.

In regards to the phantom I am not sure, GSII can fit a rifle up to 60in. The top portion is just a cover you slip over the buttstock.

+1 for the gs2. It's a great pack, not too big, plenty big for a range bag, and comfortable when the bag and scabbard are full. It fits my 300 norma fine with an unfolded mdt ess/27 inch barrel.

I think drag bags are pas·sé,

Nobody is dragging a rifle and the designs are shit. The straps don't work with packs, the pouches make it too easy to load the case down.

What we need are case inserts and car carriers, sort of like the rectangle Armaggeddon gear one but much cheaper.

Modular designs so they can be easier to work with and adjustable, not to mention cheaper.

Most of the better ones that fit this are "double" rifle cases for ARs or something similar where they take a decent starting point and ruin it with the idea you'll haul two rifles together.

I want a case for the car, or a case when I travel that I can throw in my pelican and when I arrive at my hotel just pull the nylon case out of the hard case.

More thought needs to go into this to fix the bad out there and lower the cost.

One other thing about the Eberlestock packs. Different models allow for different torso lengths. Now not all of these have the scabbard, but the GSII was a bit too short for me. The phantom is better. The Deatroyer and the Operator I can make too long. Sort of strange that their suspension system varies from pack to pack. They have the ability to make it much more versatile. I wish they would.

Also @lowlight, I have a Blackhawk dragbag that I got before I knew which way was up and I feel I lucked out. It’s a trifold design that folds out into a shooting mat. It’s all you need to protect the rifle, can go into a pelican, and doesn’t have all the pockets and pouches that you feel the obligatory need to overfill. I’ll take pics of it and with it on a pelican case and add it to this thread later.

Stolen internet pics for now.
C6035AF2-75C4-45A1-AB8F-4E186EAC0BD8.jpeg
8F8698AF-C19F-46FF-A9C6-797F1CBC8729.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Stoweit
While I don't have one (yet), it looks to me like Sert is on the right track for what Lowlight is talking about.

The gunslinger 2 is a nice pack. I tried it in the house with the OBR and AI separately, didn’t like how it balances with a sort of heavy rifle. With an AR it was great for me. In all fairness, I have never taken it outdoors or to the range.

Dollar and size-wise, the Galati seems to be the best for what I said,

The Sert is similar but AR focused and too small

But looking at Galati they appear to be closest to useable

I think drag bags are pas·sé,

Nobody is dragging a rifle and the designs are shit. The straps don't work with packs, the pouches make it too easy to load the case down.

What we need are case inserts and car carriers, sort of like the rectangle Armaggeddon gear one but much cheaper.

Modular designs so they can be easier to work with and adjustable, not to mention cheaper.

Most of the better ones that fit this are "double" rifle cases for ARs or something similar where they take a decent starting point and ruin it with the idea you'll haul two rifles together.

I want a case for the car, or a case when I travel that I can throw in my pelican and when I arrive at my hotel just pull the nylon case out of the hard case.

More thought needs to go into this to fix the bad out there and lower the cost.

I should have been less specific, I don’t really care about drag bag cause you are right I am not gonna be dragging anything, I just meant like soft case style.

I agree that the one “drag bag” I have carries like crap, which is kind of why I was thinking of the Gunslinger or Phantom but so many people say they don’t carry that well either.

I hadn’t seen the Galati but I do like that design but I think it’ll be a tight fit, my Rifle is 49” with Brake and everything. I might give it a try anyhow cause if the butt isn’t perfectly protected I am not too worried about it.

Thanks everyone!

Guys with the Galati May, do you have the Delux or the Elite? Is the only difference the cummerbund? That’s about all it looks like.

I should have been less specific, I don’t really care about drag bag cause you are right I am not gonna be dragging anything, I just meant like soft case style.

I agree that the one “drag bag” I have carries like crap, which is kind of why I was thinking of the Gunslinger or Phantom but so many people say they don’t carry that well either.

I hadn’t seen the Galati but I do like that design but I think it’ll be a tight fit, my Rifle is 49” with Brake and everything. I might give it a try anyhow cause if the butt isn’t perfectly protected I am not too worried about it.

Thanks everyone!
The Elite fits up to 55'' which it measures @ 55'' . My Rifle is 53.5'' @ 19 lbs. suppressor attached. IMO it will fit your rifle @ 49'' with no problem...

Last edited: