• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Drag race, Drift, or Auto-X?

Awag1000

Interstellar Weapon Systems
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2020
Eastern South Carolina
Rifles are cool and all, racing cars is much more fun (IMO). being in NJ theres not many long ranges, but there plenty of race tracks. Sadly my car's engine blew up before I could participate in a local Auto-X event. I want to know if there's anyone here that loves a good race like I do.
IMG_20170819_130215.jpg

Here's my barge of an Auto-X car. 1989 Toyota Supra Targa.

auto-x is fun, but have not done one in years.
they used to have them fairly often at the old el toro marine base.

Reactions: Awag1000
I found racing on proper track in a open wheel car most fulfilling.

Closest thing to that is auto-x

Strait line speed is fun but on the straits it’s time to relax, re tighten your harness etc.

Braking and turning is where it’s at for me.

I found racing/training in a proper race car that had twice the grip and half the weight made driving my road sports car feel like driving a station wagon.

I gained so much confidence in my road car because the limits were so much lower than the track car.

Drifting is just a waste of tires...lol

Only series that a drift is faster at times is rally, other than that you loosing lap times.

I found racing on proper track in a open wheel car most fulfilling.

Closest thing to that is auto-x

Strait line speed is fun but on the straits it’s time to relax, re tighten your harness etc.

Braking and turning is where it’s at for me.

I found racing/training in a proper race car that had twice the grip and half the weight made driving my road sports car feel like driving a station wagon.

I gained so much confidence in my road car because the limits were so much lower than the track car.

Drifting is just a waste of tires...lol

Only series that a drift is faster at times is rally, other than that you loosing lap times.
I hear ya, I like to watch Drift. I run a Naturally aspirated engine in my Toyota. The only modifications I've done are bigger brakes and grippy tires.
plenty of curvy roads here in NJ and PA.

Reactions: brianf
this was my solo, or auto-x car (still my daily driver). 14 years old now. (did i mention i am cheap).
you might not know what it is right away.

zWlehqV.jpg

I f you truly have a passion for speed,go to Speedweek at the Bonneville Salt Flats.every year in August
I truly miss going there.

Last edited:
Maybe it's because I'm more of a natural racer than a rifleman, but I never did autocross. I went straight to the road course and only looked back when I moved to a place where the closest track was 7 hours away not towing and it was when I had my first herniated disk - kind dampens working on the car. Did the track stuff again in 2012-2013 then job moved again. Now, well, it's no fun without folks to do things like that with - always feel more comfy doing things that risky with at least one or 2 folks I know and trust with me.

Personally I think Auto-X is MUCH harder on your car than a proper road course like (well, I'd say Sebring except it's brutal on breaks and suspension with all the bumps) but say Road America, Laguna, etc. Sebring is probably my favorite track since Texas World Speedway went the way of the Dodo. Been way too long since I was at Sebring and I'm 13 hours from it now :(. From the hairpin (former safety pin was better but waaay more dangerous) to the LeMans corner at Sebring are absolutely stellar - enough risk to keep you on your toes and challenging. The Collier Curve is great and setting up for the right hander is quite challenging. But what follows that is absolutely heavenly - Bishop's Bend into Gendebien.

Reactions: brianf
the road courses here in NJ, Millville and Englishtown are pretty fun courses. Not much risk on these courses due to the slow sweeping turns and large fields that surround the track. It's been some time since I've been on an actual road course though.

Rifles are cool and all, racing cars is much more fun (IMO). being in NJ theres not many long ranges, but there plenty of race tracks. Sadly my car's engine blew up before I could participate in a local Auto-X event. I want to know if there's anyone here that loves a good race like I do.View attachment 7326288
Here's my barge of an Auto-X car. 1989 Toyota Supra Targa.

Nice!!, I've actually done some Clubloose drifting events out your way, I used to drift a BMW E36. I currently have a CTS-V and am hoping to get involved with some Auto-x in Bowling Green KY they hold some track and parking lot events by the Corvette museum.

Nice!!, I've actually done some Clubloose drifting events out your way, I used to drift a BMW E36. I currently have a CTS-V and am hoping to get involved with some Auto-x in Bowling Green KY they hold some track and parking lot events by the Corvette museum.
that sounds awesome. CTS-Vs are pretty damn awesome (IMO)

Back in my day most every weekend I was at US 30 drag strip in NW Indiana, or the one in Oswego IL,... loved drag racing, you snooze, you lose. Over the years got to meet many, many top names in all the classes. Most humble was Austin Coil,... Big Daddy was cool,... as was Tommy Ivo. The guys from, Norm Wilson's Grand Spalding Dodge dearlership in Chicago, help many of us with Parts an advice, no matter the make. Nothing like getting a crate duel quad 426 Hemi, free,... for just helping them stab a 727 TQ one afternoon, to get them back up an going for the final's.
Sadly,...Those kinds of days will never be seen again. Great folks, a no B/S track (US 30),... an everyone helping everyone in their time of need,...

Back in my day most every weekend I was at US 30 drag strip in NW Indiana, or the one in Oswego IL,... loved drag racing, you snooze, you lose. Over the years got to meet many, many top names in all the classes. Most humble was Austin Coil,... Big Daddy was cool,... as was Tommy Ivo. The guys from, Norm Wilson's Grand Spalding Dodge dearlership in Chicago, help many of us with Parts an advice, no matter the make. Nothing like getting a crate duel quad 426 Hemi, free,... for just helping them stab a 727 TQ one afternoon, to get them back up an going for the final's.
Sadly,...Those kinds of days will never be seen again. Great folks, a no B/S track (US 30),... an everyone helping everyone in their time of need,...
drag racing is really neat, I used to hate it because I just saw it as just "see how fast you go in a straight line" but looking into it, it's much more than that.

Reactions: BytorJr
Get my acceleration fix from my street/strip 67 Fairlane
View attachment 7326629
Get the turning, drifting, jumping, and technical driving in my home built sandrail
View attachment 7326632

That 67 Fairlane is super clean,my buddy who is a hardcore Ford man was drooling when i showed him the pic.
Looks like a stock suspension car,Cal tracs possibly out back and a small tire.but still gets that left tire in the air.
Small block or big block?

Last edited:
I have racing in my veins. I will watch anything with tires race. I have done circle track, drag racing and now into the lemons racing. I had a engine shop and life got in the way. My partner is still running it and I want back in. I am building a shop on my land to do so. Its something I just cant shake.....12 step won't help.....

Reactions: wildcats
That 67 Fairlane is super clean,mu buddy who is a hardcore Ford man was drooling when i showed him the pic.
Looks like a stock suspension car,Cal tracs possibly out back and a small tire.but still gets that left tire in the air.
Small block or big block?
Its factory suspension with drop springs in the front, de-arched springs out back, lakewood drag shocks, and home made cal trac bars. Engine is a little 393w small block
20200430_175235.jpg
20200515_113252.jpg
lsObV.jpg

Just added subframe connectors and a roll bar so I can start using NOS once the track opens back up. Should be running 6.50's in the 1/8th mile on a 90 shot

Last edited:
393 is nice setup,what block,comp and heads are you running?
Engine is a mild 393 SBF on pump gas.
Specs are:
-Ford 351w block .030 over, square and zero decked, line honed
-Balanced 393 stroker kit
-Scat cast crank
-H beam rods
-Forged probe pistons (10.47 to 1 compression)
-ARP Main and head studs
-Milodon windage tray and 8qt oil pan
-Trick flow track heat heads ported and flowed
-Roller rockers arms
-Custom schnider cam to match the heads
-Ported wieand stealth intake
-Race Demon 750
-Mallory unilite distributor
-Hedman elite long tubes
-Set up for a 150 shot of NOS

Engine is a mild 393 SBF on pump gas.
Specs are:
-Ford 351w block .030 over, square and zero decked, line honed
-Balanced 393 stroker kit
-Scat cast crank
-H beam rods
-Forged probe pistons (10.47 to 1 compression)
-ARP Main and head studs
-Milodon windage tray and 8qt oil pan
-Trick flow track heat heads ported and flowed
-Roller rockers arms
-Custom schnider cam to match the heads
-Ported wieand stealth intake
-Race Demon 750
-Mallory unilite distributor
-Hedman elite long tubes
-Set up for a 150 shot of NOS
sounds like a hoot to drive.

If you have seen and heard a top fuel or funny make a good run and didn't get a woody, you got a dead snake in your pants.
Think the best drivers in the world are the rally boys, that shit will make you pucker.

Reactions: MotoFlier
A rally drivers navigator may be among the bravest people on earth and the drivers are 1 step from insanity.