• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Drag race fans who have been to Bandimere

noahmercy

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 7, 2010
Sheridan, Wyoming
I'd like to take my wife to a race. We are looking at the Mile High Nationals. Now, I've never been to Bandimere and was wondering if anyone who has attended an event there has a suggestion for the best seats.

I used to drag race down in Florida, but never attended as a spectator (I was always in the car or in the pits or at the line with my buddies), so I'm chagrined to admit that I have no idea where the best place to sit would be. I definitely want wifey to experience the lovely eye-watering sinus-burning nitro fumes (ooh...getting a little turgid just thinking about it!
shocked.gif
), but the fuel cars move out so fast that I suspect sitting near the tree might not be the best spot.

Buuuuuttttt, since I don't know fer shur, I'm asking for any input from you motorheads who have actually watched a drag race from the stands.

Thanks for your advice and suggestions, pards!

Re: Drag race fans who have been to Bandimere

At Chicago its any of the 1st 30 rows and a hundred feet from the tree but ymmv.

I've never been to Bandimere, but I like seats anywhere close to the 330' mark for the fuelers. Gives a good vantage point of the tree plus the fuel cars are really starting to put the power to the ground by that point. Also a good spot to help explain things (like the tree, tire shake, etc) to newcomers to the sport. I always have a great time taking people who've never seen a fuel race before (especially the ones who say "I've seen it on TV & it can't be but so loud" LOL)!

Make sure to take the wife down into the pits when they're warming up the fuelers for maximum nitro-induced eye watering!!!

Gregg

PS - Top Fuel is an awesome spectacle, but Pro Stock is still the best class for me...

I can hear cars running down the track from 12 miles away as the crow flies... from Rock Falls raceway! But I've only been to that track, and B.I.R.

Doesn't Bandimere have insanely-steep grandstands? Maybe something to consider, as that might be off-putting to have to climb to the top.

Personally, I like to be up high and about 100-150 feet out.

Yes Donut the stands are pretty steep but not to bad to walk up and down. Here are a few pics from about 8 years ago during the diesel drags. That little red truck is the Banks Sidewinder and was a bad bitch! 1/4 mile in 8 seconds with a twin turbo 5.9
Cummins.
03282011083941pm.jpg

Thanks, y'all.

I'll try around 250 feet downtrack and about a third of the way up the stands. Should give Angel O. Mercy and me a pretty good vantage point. If it turns out there's a better place, we'll know better for next time. And I'll be sure to run her through the pits for a whiff of that manly aphrodisiac that is nitromethane.
wink.gif