• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing dragunov rebuild

mexicanmatch

dallasa1
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2008
lanexa,va
Have anyone of y'all ever done it before? I was thinking on a little larder barrel and a short one at that maybe 20 or 22". It is going to be used on pigs and the ammo is cheap and don't mind loosing any cases. My other rifles use lapua brass. Any help would be welcome. PS i would like to use a Rock barrel on it. NN

Re: dragunov rebuild

So I did a little research for ya. Looks like some have replaced the barrel in the past, and gone the heavy barrel route as well.
The only thing I have not been able to find is the threading to the action. Get a .311 blank, which is not hard to find, and have the threads identified and duplicated. PTG makes a reamer for the 7.62x54R. The only thing you will have to put work into is the handgaurd and some kind of gas block for the gas system.
I dunno what the rifle is worth, or worth to you, but you may end up spending more than the rifle is worth. But then again, I have seen more money and work put into worse.

Sounds like a job for Red Jacket. LOL, j/k

Not a Dragunov rifle, but other rare Russian target rifle in 7.62x53R. Is it possible to rebarrel it to .308win?

What exact make/model is it? If its a Romy PSL or similar the barrels are not threaded into the receiver. They are pressed and pinned. The issue is that you have to be VERY careful pressing the cross pin out (screw it up and it'll have to be milled out and re-drilled/oversized pin made), then find a way to press out the long barrel while the front trunion is still in the receiver. Its an exercise in patience that can try even the experienced gun plumber. I can't even think of where to refer you. Honestly I'd look for a Zastava M76 as it's a good fit for your mission right out of the box with a 22" heavy barrel, 8mm mauser (still super cheap), or its available in 308 IIRC. Good luck.