• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Drastic difference in dopes

TheTick

Private
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2010
Metro Philadelphia, PA
Riddle me this and I am aware that every rifle is different, but:

A guy and I on the same sniper team both got our Remington 700s built at IBA at the same time, using the same parts. We shoot the same ammo bought at the same time (168 gr BHA AMAX). We were shooting at Dix the other day when I learned the drastic difference in our dopes.

Stuff like at 200 1.5 (me) and 2 (him), I forget 300, 400- 6.5 (me) and 8 (him), 500- 10.25 (me) and like 12 (him)

WTF? These rifles are identically built firing the same rounds bought from the same run at Black Hills. I don't get it, but I do break his balls about mine being a flatter shot.

Tick

Re: Drastic difference in dopes

If you have the same scopes, bases and barrel twist as well, my guess would be that you two are managing recoil differently.

Are the results repeatable?

Try shooting his and let him shoot yours and see what happens.

No matter what, if you take the time to get to the bottom of it, both you are about to learn something valuable about yourselves and/or your rifles.

The muzzle velocity will tell some of the tale if you haven't chronographed the rifles, then I'll assume you never calibrated your scopes either, so much of the riddle is based on the lack of preparation.

First invest in a Chronograph, then get a 4ft level and a tape measure and go to work checking the adjustments on your scope.

These will identify the two major culprits,

Sniping is not just about pressing the trigger, there is a lot more to it, the above should be considered the basics.

I agree with Frank, Tracking of somebody's scope would be my bet. But I have definitely had barrels that were faster than like others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The muzzle velocity will tell some of the tale if you haven't chronographed the rifles, then I'll assume you never calibrated your scopes either, so much of the riddle is based on the lack of preparation.

First invest in a Chronograph, then get a 4ft level and a tape measure and go to work checking the adjustments on your scope.

These will identify the two major culprits,

Sniping is not just about pressing the trigger, there is a lot more to it, the above should be considered the basics. </div></div>

Yup, I am chrono'd at an average of 2602 fps at 10 feet. Not sure on him. By calibrating the scope, do you mean that we found the number of 1/4 minute click range for horizontal and vertical adjustment on our scope and then made sure that the reticle was exactly centered before zeroing? If so, then yes, we did that too. I explained that as best as I could, hope it made sense.

Tick

Calibrating the scope means checking that the scope tracks correctly across 100% of its adjustment range. Scopes are not always .25, you might yours is .25 and his is .20 which is what is giving you the difference, or something close to that. You have to test and measure the scope from 0 to say 40 minutes to see how it adjusts.

His muzzle will also be important, one gun doesn't tell the tale.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Calibrating the scope means checking that the scope tracks correctly across 100% of its adjustment range. Scopes are not always .25, you might yours is .25 and his is .20 which is what is giving you the difference, or something close to that. You have to test and measure the scope from 0 to say 40 minutes to see how it adjusts.

His muzzle will also be important, one gun doesn't tell the tale. </div></div>

Okay, nope we did not do that, but it makes sense. The only thing I did like that is dialing up, down, left, right to make sure that round impact all moved on the level to acertain that the scope was mounted right.

I never made sure that a 1/4 adjustment was actually 1/4. But, when I zeroed, I did find that at 100 yards, the adjustments were on. Not sure if they were slightly off and amplified at further distances.

Tick

are you both zero'd dead on at 100?

with the same scope to bore height ?