• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Drastic POI change??

TB2Blazer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2010
Cleveland, GA
Ok I was out shooting today at 550 yards at a 16" steel circle with my AAC-SD. Shot some good groups. Shot about 15 then went to go check my target came back 1st shot good hit 4'' from dead center, second shot didn't even hit steel/no visible splash, third shot same as second no steel no splash, (readjust make sure everything is good and positioned properly) fourth and fifth shot the same as two and three no steel no splash. I literally shot 15 rounds great downrange then the last 4 were total crap. I could not figure out if they were high, low, left or right. The wind was almost nothing that day, bright clear and calm day. I checked my mounts they were all good on my scope, rail was good, stock was good. I used the exact same position as before I just can't figure out why my last four shots were so off that I couldn't even hit a 16'' plate at 550. I did notice that my Harris had come a little bit loose but nothing sloppy. Could this have caused it to jump that much? I was shooting harris up front sand bag in the rear, prone.

Re: Drastic POI change??

A friend had this happen on a few occasions now. Each time it was base/rings came loose on two different rifles. He is no longer allowed to work on anything. If everything checks out you may want to try a different scope. If the barrel was fouled heavily that could cause it as well.

Re: Drastic POI change??

Go ahead and check to make sure everything is tight, but before you start blaming the equipment know that the number 1 factor for missing is the shooter.

Sometimes I may get fatigued mentally and not shoot well for one reason or another. I think the sample size is too small to take any drastic measures to try to fix it.

I missed a 6" popper at 235 yards two shots in a row today which is unusual for me once I have my windage dialed in. We are all human and even the most skilled shooters have off days or bad strings of shots.

If it was in fact the equipment, a heated barrel can sometimes shift POI up to a minute in one direction or another.