• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DRD APTUS

thehun

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Mar 24, 2018
    So I went on a whim and bought a DRD. Always wanted one but in 5.56...I didn’t know they made the Paratus system in 5.56 and when I found out they did...I had to have one.

This is a non-firing impression...

Comes in a sweet pelican case. Excellent. They nailed it and as soon as you open it...the presentation of how well everything breaks down is well thought out. You can carry a spare barrel, your suppressor, safety glasses, barrel nut wrench (optional to use), optic and about 4 mags.

DRD also includes 2-30rd pmags, 2-aluminum Magpul MLOK rail sections, safety glasses, ear pros. Super nice to have a company not cheap out on extras...

Bolt carrier group is coated in what appears to be electroless nickel (looks exactly the same as my old LMT MWS bolt finish) and the firing pin is coated in that bronze-ish coating that Geissele uses on barrel nut. Both appear to be high quality parts...

Barrel is nitrided and appears to be a Lothar Walther (from my research it is who they use when switched from FN CHF barrels to nitride and it is marked drd). The gas block is a clamp on Superlative setup. Definitely a huge bonus in my book. Having that gas block coupled with my suppressor will be a huge benefit.

I asked DRD what recoil spring they use and they said HK...it appears to be a HK93 variant...the recoil spring guide rod fits into the a pocket in the lower and in the proprietary bolt. The system seems it will have a very linear recoil impulse. It locks the upper and lower together.

Lower has the Magpul ACR stock and Phase 5 bolt release lever. Magpul grip. Pins fit nice and tight.

If there is two things I wish it had at this price point is Ambi safety and a 2-stage trigger. While I get why they don’t (everyone prefers a diff flavor)...it would be nice. I installed a spare Ambi safety and my Larue 2-stage trigger.

Overall fit and finish is awesome and clean.

It is EVIDENT that DRD takes pride in putting together a great system. They use quality parts and the components fit well. I hope many others will take a look at this setup as it is built to very high quality and innovative standards, which are quite frankly hard to come by now...

If I were to describe this system quickly is that its a quick take down DI SCAR16s...I like the fact that I can retrofit any AR barrel into the system and use most small parts for interchangeability.

Last edited:
    Reactions: drdtactical
    I've only handled a few of their guns in person, they seem like they have a really good build quality. I Really like the concept of the paratus and aptus and have tried to buy both a paratus and the cdr-15 upper from drd directly after talking to the former owner Scott, who was going to hook me up with a discount about 1.5-2 years ago. However, at the time they didn't have any to sell because they were trying to get caught up on some foreign military contracts so he told me to contact them again some time later. Well, some months passed and when I contact them again they were bought out by otis technologies and im told I now have to contact the generic sales email address by Scott because he is no longer in charge and is unsure if they do any discounts. After sending them at least 4 emails over a period of 6 months nothing ever became of it aside from them ghosting me, which is whatever if they don't want to do it anymore its no skin off my teeth. I might have even payed full price for one but they didn't even have the courtesy to respond to me, so all I can say is I wouldn't buy shit from them or recommend to anyone. Because if they can't even respond to someone trying to give them money I can only imagine what a nightmare it would be trying to deal with them if their product needs serviced.

I hope it works out for you though man, let us know how it performs.

Last edited:
    I've only handled a few of their guns in person, they seem like they have a really good build quality. I Really like the concept of the paratus and aptus and have tried to buy both a paratus and the cdr-15 upper from drd directly after talking to the former owner Scott, who was going to hook me up with a discount about 1.5-2 years ago. However, at the time they didn't have any to sell because they were trying to get caught up on some foreign military contracts so he told me to contact them again some time later. Well, some months passed and when I contact them again they were bought out by otis technologies and im told I now have to contact the generic sales email address by Scott because he is no longer in charge and is unsure if they do any discounts. After sending them at least 4 emails over a period of 6 months nothing ever became of it aside from them ghosting me, which is whatever if they don't want to do it anymore its no skin off my teeth. I might have even payed full price for one but they didn't even have the courtesy to respond to me, so all I can say is I wouldn't buy shit from them or recommend to anyone. Because if they can't even respond to someone trying to give them money I can only imagine what a nightmare it would be trying to deal with them if their product needs serviced.

My interaction with them thus far has been great. Answered my annoying questions within 24hrs...

I’ll say this. Regardless of the company. If I don’t get an answer to my email in 72hrs...I’ll just pick up the phone...

My interaction with them thus far has been great. Answered my annoying questions within 24hrs...

I’ll say this. Regardless of the company. If I don’t get an answer to my email in 72hrs...I’ll just pick up the phone...
    I did call them multiple times. just got directed to send emails.

That stinks. Was it in between the transition?

I assume it was during-shortly after.
    No excuse but sometimes things get lost in translation during mergers...it sucks because usually the customers takes the hit...

No excuse but sometimes things get lost in translation during mergers...it sucks because usually the customers takes the hit...
    True. I might give em another shot like I said I really liked the guns I've seen from them.

Reactions: thehun

You contact Matt in sales directly at:
    1-855-373-4327
    [email protected]
    We are still experiencing around a 5 month backlog on orders BUT we plan to release (6) Aptus in Battleworn finish for immediate sale on our website in the coming days.
    Skip, the previous owner, does still work for us in Georgia.

So I went on a whim and bought a DRD. Always wanted one but in 5.56...I didn’t know they made the Paratus system in 5.56 and when I found out they did...I had to have one.

This is a non-firing impression...

Comes in a sweet pelican case. Excellent. They nailed it and as soon as you open it...the presentation of how well everything breaks down is well thought out. You can carry a spare barrel, your suppressor, safety glasses, barrel nut wrench (optional to use), optic and about 4 mags.

DRD also includes 2-30rd pmags, 2-aluminum Magpul MLOK rail sections, safety glasses, ear pros. Super nice to have a company not cheap out on extras...

Bolt carrier group is coated in what appears to be electroless nickel (looks exactly the same as my old LMT MWS bolt finish) and the firing pin is coated in that bronze-ish coating that Geissele uses on barrel nut. Both appear to be high quality parts...

Barrel is nitrided and appears to be a Lothar Walther (from my research it is who they use when switched from FN CHF barrels to nitride and it is marked drd). The gas block is a clamp on Superlative setup. Definitely a huge bonus in my book. Having that gas block coupled with my suppressor will be a huge benefit.

I asked DRD what recoil spring they use and they said HK...it appears to be a HK93 variant...the recoil spring guide rod fits into the a pocket in the lower and in the proprietary bolt. The system seems it will have a very linear recoil impulse. It locks the upper and lower together.

Lower has the Magpul ACR stock and Phase 5 bolt release lever. Magpul grip. Pins fit nice and tight.

If there is two things I wish it had at this price point is Ambi safety and a 2-stage trigger. While I get why they don’t (everyone prefers a diff flavor)...it would be nice. I installed a spare Ambi safety and my Larue 2-stage trigger.

Overall fit and finish is awesome and clean.

It is EVIDENT that DRD takes pride in putting together a great system. They use quality parts and the components fit well. I hope many others will take a look at this setup as it is built to very high quality and innovative standards, which are quite frankly hard to come by now...

If I were to describe this system quickly is that its a quick take down DI SCAR16s...I like the fact that I can retrofit any AR barrel into the system and use most small parts for interchangeability.

8sO5Lzy.jpg
    Thanks for the write up on your new Aptus.

Reactions: thehun
    You contact Matt in sales directly at:
    1-855-373-4327
    [email protected]
    We are still experiencing around a 5 month backlog on orders BUT we plan to release (6) Aptus in Battleworn finish for immediate sale on our website in the coming days.
    Skip, the previous owner, does still work for us in Georgia.
    Thanks for the reply, I'll be in touch. Yeah I thought I was remembering his first name wrong.

What the hell is this beauty... I'm already drooling at the thought of chopping one down to a 12.5 or 13.7 Mini Recce 😍

Thank you for the write up and showing me a gun I haven't even heard of before! Lol

What the hell is this beauty... I'm already drooling at the thought of chopping one down to a 12.5 or 13.7 Mini Recce 😍

Thank you for the write up and showing me a gun I haven't even heard of before! Lol
    You’ll love it!

Just a quick FYI observation...if you are planning to run the factory 16" barrel with a suppressor mount...you'll need a shorty muzzle device as the barrel will be a tad too long to fit into the factory case if you are running lets say a three chamber muzzle brake setup like what I tried via YHM...

Last edited:
    Nearly three months of ownership and this thing is one of the best, if not the best 5.56 platform I have ever owned (outside of the Mk12)...

Hope this platform grows as it makes a ton of sense...