• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dream build question: Single Action vs Repeater

markefuller

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I am dreaming of a new custom build from some place like GAP or Surgeon.

Most of my shooting time is on targets, with 300M up to 1000M ranges available to me. But, a gun for pure target shooting is not my cup of tea. If I am going to gain proficiency with it, I must also be able to hunt well with it should the desire arise. My practice so far has been with factory stock Savage Model 10FP in .308 caliber. I have been pleased with .5 MOA groups of 5 rounds with my handloads.

I am dreaming of a .300 WSM for my custom build to engange the longer targets, and hunt almost any game in North America. The last competition I watched, everyone was single loading their ammo, even those rifles with Magazines single loaded.

For some unknown reason I can not explain, I fancy the Surgeon actions. Although Lawson and badger have grabbed my attention as well.

I am torn between the single-shot Surgeon action they recommend for F-Class style competition, vs. the repeater action that can handle a 5 or 10 round magazine. I tell myself I will probably get only 1 shot anyway on a game animal such as a deer or elk. I also tell myself that if I handload for accurracy close to the lands, the rounds might not fit in the magazine. But, I am still drawn back to wanting that magazine. Funny how dreams defy logic it seems.

The other thing that is bothering me is stock choice. I like how the McMillan F-Class stocks seem to ride the bags very horizontal through recoil, where as the McMillian A-5 just looks cool and has a section of the botton cut for hand control. Would it be crazy to haul an F-Class stock hunting? Why would you favor the A-5 over a pure flat bottom. I fancy the A-5 right now, but the F-Class seems better if I want to try a shot at competition (For fun against personal goals mainly.)

I would love to hear your comments on action choice( between single shot vs repeater) and stock choice (between A-5 and F-Class).

Thanks for your time helping me dream up something new.

Re: Dream build question: Single Action vs Repeater

Repeater,I generally only have two bullets loaded in my gun while hunting.The first shot is the most importane one,second one is a folloe up shot,anymore dicates more practice is needed. I would think that the magzine were single loaded because the OAL exceeded the magzine lenght.

I use repeaters when hunting. I am a good shot but have on occasion shot more than once at an animal. (Moved, tree limb, etc)
They do make single shot loading blocks (Bob Sled magazine eg)

I have a friend that hunts with a beater single shot Savage in 7 saum. He's only ever had one occasion in recent memory where a repeater would've been handy. Has harvested plenty of animals with it. Guys also hunt with single shot muzzleloaders as well without any issues. Get a SAP two round holder on the side, and you could probably load it pretty quickly with enough practice. Another thought is running a repeater with a mag block. Would probably provide you with the most versatility. I have absolutely no knowledge about F-class shooting however, so best to makes sure mag blocks don't conflict with any rules before considering it.

Well, since he didn't want our like anything because he chose to fancy it, I hope he chose a trip back over the pond.

I have two loads for my 7 saum.
168’s that I mag feed for closer stuff with a hunting bullet.
180-190’s that I single feed for the mile plus shots.
You could easily do the same with 300 WSM.