• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Dream Combat Gun - DW Discretion 1911 45 ACP

NHPiper

Tactical Bagpiper
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 17, 2017
    Concord, NH
    So a fellow member wanted me to start a new thread to share some info about one of my semi-custom guns. So I will list the specs, through up a picture and give a mini-review of it.

The base gun is a Dan Wesson Discretion 1911 45ACP. This is their model with slide cuts, threaded barrel and raised suppressor sights. I had Fusion Firearms in Florida mount a Trijicon 1911 RMR plate and then put an RM06 on it. I am running it suppressed 50% of the time with factory ammo and reloads using the stock recoil spring. The suppressor is a Gemtech GM45. The custom holster was done by Exodus Gun Leather (they are awesome, definitely contact Carl), and it is made out of legally obtained Elephant hide.

The Goods:
    -It has a great factory trigger.
    -It cycles everything, suppressed and un-suppressed, both with factory and lower power reloads.
    -It eats through 200gr +P hollowpoints.
    -With the RMR, this thing is FAST. The stock Heine sights are great, but the 1911 points so well that the it was natural for me to pick up the dot on the RMR. Don't waste your time getting a dual-illuminated RMR because the fiber optic sucks. It takes time to activity if you are drawing from underneath clothes and time matters. The LED is also much easier to pick up.
    -It is well fit overall, the finish is extremely durable and it is very smooth with no machine marks, etc.
    -The gun is EXTREMELY reliable. I probably have 2000 rounds into it, it looks brand new, and has not had a failure to feed that I didn't cause.
    -I can run the gun very dirty, probably 500-600 rounds suppressed, before the slide starts getting sluggish and I run the risk of it failing to come back into battery. If I keep it lubed every range trip, it doesn't matter how dirty it gets.
    -This gun is TIGHTLY fitted. There is no wobble between the barrel, frame, slide, etc.
    -The gun is ACCURATE. I can easily hit clay pidgeons at 50 yards and with a good trigger pull I can hit them at 100 with a slight holdover. Again, the RMR helps here.
    -Feeds from ANY mag I put into it; MecGar, Chip McCormick (8 and 10 rounders), Sig Sauer mags, Kimbers, etc.

The Bad:
    -My front sight post flew off within the first 50 rounds (wasn't properly pinned). Dan Wesson did get this fixed and back to me within about 3 weeks, but they are a small team and not easy to get ahold of.
    -The extractor on mine is poorly fit and hangs just past the slide. For a $2000, this should have been caught and I am too lazy to send it back a second time.
    -The trigger is not as nice as a new STI, but it is far better than any Sig Sauer, Kimber or Colt 1911 that you will shoot.
    -You can't adjust the trigger for pretravel.
    -The feed ramps can be finicky with hollowpoints. I reloaded by own Hornady XTP 230gr ammo, and sometimes when hand cycling the slide the 1st round would nose dive. I NEVER had a failure to feed while shooting though. If the slide is well greased, it doesn't seem to happen as often. This is probably because the feed ramp is supported.
    -Not a double stack, but maybe I am dreaming :)

Happy to answer any questions, so post away. Oh, and I am selling an STI Trojan 9mm, so hit me up!

Attachments

• image_62284.jpg
      image_62284.jpg
      147.4 KB · Views: 119
    • 20170120_115739.jpg
      20170120_115739.jpg
      80.7 KB · Views: 134
    • 20170113_194702 (1).jpg
      20170113_194702 (1).jpg
      64.1 KB · Views: 162
    Reactions: Sniperswide
    Thanks man for the review and the photos. Did you find the slide cuts annoying at first or did you always like them?

Have you shot it compared to other 45acp 1911's and if so how does it recoil compared to them?

I am planning on getting a 9mm version (I reload tons of 9mm for other suppressed toys).

I am spoiled as I have only shot two full sized 1911's and they were both WC CQB's. one was a 9mm and one was a .45. Needless to say they were extremely easy to shoot and I shot them well but I just can afford a WC at this time.

Thank you again and nice pistols! I would like to have the Trojan but just got into a pistol can do having fun with threaded barrel guns for now.

I HATE TAPATALK! IT WONT SEPARATE MY PARAGRAPHS UNLESS I GO BACK AND EDIT!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The recoil is very soft. I have shot several other full size 1911s and a S&W 1911sc with the scandium frame. The recoil is definitely softer than the others, so they did a good job with the recoil spring and the weight of the slide. It is noticeably lighter than the STI Trojan even with the longer barrel and RMR, although it might be because the STI has a 9mm barrel which is thicker.

I don't find the slide cuts annoying for the most part. It took a little bit longer for a custom leather holster to break in because the slide cuts would catch. However, I usually APPENDIX carry this badass gun reasonably comfortably. I do like that they shaved some weight with the cuts and that they offer another purchase to operate the slide.

Thanks man. I have to drive about 2.5 hours to even see a DW in person. I had a friend of mine send me a video of her playing with a Discretion but she doesn't know anything about guns. She just made me jealous haha. I need to go fondle one.

Also did Fusion mill the slide down so the dot is cowitnessed with the suppressor sights? It's hard to tell from the pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got a Dan Wesson Valor last week. Only put about a hundred rounds of my cheap, thrown together reloads through it so far. Can't wait to see what it can do with some premium ammo. The fit and finish are great and the trigger is amazing. It probably won't be my last Dan Wesson.

The quality of the DW are far above most other non-custom 1911s. You can't even hold another gun like a Kimber in your hand and not feel the difference.

I'm thinking about doing the same to my Discretion .45 but haven't found much info on the milling, or reliability of it. Thanks for this post, it was helpful and is making me way more confident in having this done.

Do you happen to have any photos of the slide milled without the adapter fitted? Are there posts on the underside of that adapter like there are on the mount itself for the RMR for added stability under recoil? What did they do to refinish the raw metal so it doesn't corrode? I'm trying to avoid cerakoting over the nice DW finish.

This seems like the perfect outdoor range gun — especially suppressed. my stamp should be arriving over the next month!

Also for what it's worth, both of my sights came off after less than 100 rounds. Really annoying after driving over 3 hours to the range that day. DW took care of it rather quickly. For anyone reading, if you get a discretion, add sone red loctite before taking it out. This is likely a Discretion issue and not indicative of DW. Over 2,000 rounds through my Valor VBob with zero issues.

I am at 300 rounds through my DW Discretion without any issues with my sights. Are your front sights pinned? Mine is pinned.

I didn't look that closely at the front since there was no pin or screw to be found after it came off and no noticeable hole in the slide for a pin (maybe that was the issue?). The dovetail fit was much looser on the front than the rear as well. Surprising for how highly fit everything else was. I asked them to look at this since this isn't the first I've read of this, but they didn't respond and just sent it back.

Maybe tit's normally looser in the front since it's pinned—but i don't see why. Something was off.

Either way, I've put 300-400 rounds through it since it came back with no issue. Won't stop my from getting another DW.

buy hey, maybe the tolerances are just slightly off and it's a perfect candidate for milling then :)

Wow. That is a nice project. Certainly, something to be proud of. And that holster is pimp as hell.

Thread bump from the grave but only slightly.

any update on this project? Still have t picked one up yet as they are expensive as shit locally.