• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dream NRL22/Rimfire PRS rifle build?

littlepod

Minuteman
  • Oct 16, 2012
    Kirkland, WA
    instagram.com
    I'm curious what people are thinking about in terms of their dream NRL22/Rimfire PRS build.

Generally accuracy of 1/2 moa at 50, 2/3 moa at 100, looks like the V22 will do that.

Barrel:
    16 vs 18 vs 20" barrel. I believe no velocity gains after 16? Some people think the longer you spin it the better, not sure what Vudoo thinks is optimal. Shorter the better to get in and out of barricades.

Chassis:
    ACC: Too long for anything shorter than a 20" build. If I go 16/18" I'll need a new chassis. I really love my ACC chassis, except it is a bit butt heavy. I wish I could get a lighter buttstock - I've already replaced the steel buttpad with an aluminum version to reduce 1/2lb, but it's still butt heavy with my current 20" bull barrel, so if I go something like a 16/18" kukri contour it's going to be even more butt heavy.

I guess I should go with the MPA comp chassis - but I do like MDT's vert grip more than MPA's grip, so I could just easily swap grips. Other alternatives is some of MDT's other offerings, maybe the ESS - the little hand plate could be nice for the offhand stages, but I lose all the weight configurability. And they all share the same buttstock so it's still going to be rather butt heavy.

Scope:
    Been happy with my Ares ETR 4.5-30x56. Have been eyeing the ZCO 5-27 MPCT2.

Overall Weight:
    What do people generally go with? A lot of people like things lighter, but I've noticed now running a 13lb rifle compared to my old 10lber that I'm a lot more steady with the 13lber. This would also affect me choosing a Kukri vs MTU barrel profile from Vudoo too.

Balance and feeding is the most important part. There are a number of rifles that do both.

Vudoo is the cool kid rifle. I've seen very nice Tikkas and CZs.

I like having a stock that mirrors my centerfire match gun, a light trigger, and weight between 12-14 pounds, so lighter than a centerfire. I like ARCA rails. I want to optics to be in the same height rings and the optics (if not the same) at least the same eye relief for handling purposes.

balance dictates the barrel length. Even with a 20" barrel and can my T1x is shorter than my centerfire gun with a 24" barrel. I wouldn't worry about length much.

I like the bravo chassis, I have one on my T1X and centerfire. That's just me.

Optics are a personal, there's a thread a few below here on that. I like having the same reticle as my centerfire. But, having the parralax going low enough is the most key thing. Depth of field helps a lot so it's one less knob to fiddle with but I haven't seen optics that accomplish that.

Something like a Bighorn RimX in a JAE chassis or Foundation stock, with 20" barrel, BnA Tacsport 2 stage trigger, ZC527 scope and ARC rings. Oh yeah, and a Dead Air Mask suppressor.

Something like a Bighorn RimX in a JAE chassis or Foundation stock, with 20" barrel, BnA Tacsport 2 stage trigger, ZC527 scope and ARC rings. Oh yeah, and a Dead Air Mask suppressor.

Well, damn... that pretty much nails it perfectly.

Though, I'm bit of a bling bitch so I might stretch for something not quit as functional, but with more wow "look at me" factor like one of the Cerus hybrid fiberglass/real wood stocks... (Ambrosia Maple, anyone?)
    c7ec3e_8b1b55834ac6451b8448bf45447fb4cb~mv2.webp

I'm curious what people are thinking about in terms of their dream NRL22/Rimfire PRS build.

Generally accuracy of 1/2 moa at 50, 2/3 moa at 100, looks like the V22 will do that.

Barrel:
    16 vs 18 vs 20" barrel. I believe no velocity gains after 16? Some people think the longer you spin it the better, not sure what Vudoo thinks is optimal. Shorter the better to get in and out of barricades.

Chassis:
    ACC: Too long for anything shorter than a 20" build. If I go 16/18" I'll need a new chassis. I really love my ACC chassis, except it is a bit butt heavy. I wish I could get a lighter buttstock - I've already replaced the steel buttpad with an aluminum version to reduce 1/2lb, but it's still butt heavy with my current 20" bull barrel, so if I go something like a 16/18" kukri contour it's going to be even more butt heavy.

I guess I should go with the MPA comp chassis - but I do like MDT's vert grip more than MPA's grip, so I could just easily swap grips. Other alternatives is some of MDT's other offerings, maybe the ESS - the little hand plate could be nice for the offhand stages, but I lose all the weight configurability. And they all share the same buttstock so it's still going to be rather butt heavy.

Scope:
    Been happy with my Ares ETR 4.5-30x56. Have been eyeing the ZCO 5-27 MPCT2.

Overall Weight:
    What do people generally go with? A lot of people like things lighter, but I've noticed now running a 13lb rifle compared to my old 10lber that I'm a lot more steady with the 13lber. This would also affect me choosing a Kukri vs MTU barrel profile from Vudoo too.
    Perhaps the new MPA Matrix chassis should be a contender? It has grip interchangeability.

Reactions: Utahgeoff
    I went with an Izhmash Biathalon in an ARS chassis with an SWFA 3-15 DM reticle scope. Really fast, smooth and accurate. I just have to learn to shoot from all the weird positions, can't blame the gun. To me it's my idea of an ultimate setup.

Attachments

• 20191224_114020.jpg
      20191224_114020.jpg
      655.1 KB · Views: 197
    Last edited:
    I went with an Izhmash Biathalon in an ARS chassis with an SWFA 3-15 DM reticle scope. Really fast, smooth and accurate. I just have to learn to shoot from all the weird positions, can't blame the gun. To me it's my idea of an ultimate setup.

that’s really cool. Have you posted about it here on the Hide?
    Would love to see some groups and read more about it.

I'm partial to the Bravo. I think you've used it as well. I have zero experience within other chassis except my TacA1.

If 16.5" barrels were problems, Voodoo wouldn't offer them. I vote 16.5" for several reasons. 1. If you're running a suppressor, you might need the shorter length to keep your overall length to a certain length. 2. As you pointed out, easier to manipulate through obstacles during stages. I'll admit this doesn't seem like a huge problem in the comps I'm shooting. 2. Bullet dwell time. The less time you have from when you pull the trigger to when the bullet leaves the barrel, the better with the slow .22lr which most of us are running subsonic to begin with. This is my main reason for the 16.5" barrel. The one negative I can see is less weight. I'm of the mindset that lighter is better but not necessarily so in this case.

I'm liking the ZCO too. I'm also looking at the Vortex HD AMG and the Nightforce NX8. The ZCO is HUGE while the other two are relative light weights in the scope world.

I will be getting the Voodoo for sure. Either a new Gen 2 or a Gen 1 at a HUGE discount when the Gen 2s are released. :geek:

Reactions: littlepod
    @littlepod have you tried adding weights to the front of the ACC to help balance it out? I know my friend runs two weights up front and not the weight in the buttstock and his balances right in front of the magwell. Pic shows before he removed rear weight, also he has factory barrel so you may only need one weight each side.

timstikka.jpg

@littlepod have you tried adding weights to the front of the ACC to help balance it out? I know my friend runs two weights up front and not the weight in the buttstock and his balances right in front of the magwell. Pic shows before he removed rear weight, also he has factory barrel so you may only need one weight each side.

View attachment 7227520

Thanks my Tikka in an ACC requires a few more weights up front.

I have a 20" bull barrel so significantly heavier than the factory barrel, but the balance point is at the mag well. This is w/o the rear weight, and swapping the buttplate to aluminum instead of the default steel.

If I put a heavy bipod like in your picture, then I would be balanced, but bipods catch on barricades/cargo nets, so I'm usually running those stages w/o one. I believe I need 4 front weights to get the balance perfect sitting right in front of the mag well (with my heavy barrel).

Picture below has the balance right now about the mag well.

1579299838618.png

Reactions: K80/6.5
    that’s really cool. Have you posted about it here on the Hide?
    Would love to see some groups and read more about it.

Posted a video of it in this thread. On my original post. It's super accurate, smooth, fast and loves cheap Geco Rifle even out to 350 yards.

Topstrap

Reactions: Frankr
    20191220_161941.jpg

Accuracy
    Reliability
    Balance
    Light Trigger
    Ergonomics

Barrel length: The rifle should balance! Go long enough and heavy enough to get good balance on a bag. Go read some benchrest forums. See what they prefer for length. I think you'll find that your best bet is longer than 20"

Stock: The rifle should balance! Make sure the rear of the stock is not too heavy. Or you may need to add weight to the front of the rifle to get proper balance. The forearm should be nice and wide and flat. Think Amp plate.

Trigger: Should be able to adjust below 1 lb. I prefer 10 oz or so. Light enough to break a free recoil shot without disturbing the gun, but heavy enough to be safe for offhand shots, etc. I love my Anschutz 5098 trigger.

Action: Reliability is hugely important. No jams or fumbling on the clock. Bolt action preferred. Smooth action preferred. Anschutz, Tikka are very smooth. Anschutz can have feed issues, but they can be fixed with adjustments.

Weight: I recommend a 22" straight bull barrel ~1" in diameter, then a stock that balances it all out. That gets you around 12-14lbs or so.

Stock Ergos: After you satisfy the balance requirement, then it comes down to ergos for shooting 1) prone, and 2) offhand. You can be the judge. Did I mention that I like the Anschutz? It happens to be a biathlon trainer stock. Great for shooting offhand. And still rocks for shooting prone.

Accuracy: last but not least, it's gotta be a shooter. You can try a factory barrel. If it's a tac driver, congrats! If not, the next step is an aftermarket barrel. Bartlein, Shilen, Benchmark, etc. I went with Shilen Select Match. It's awesome. But past 250 yds, it's not as good as the Bartlein on my friend's gun. I'd probably go Bartlein on my next.

I hope this helps. There are a lot of options, I know! But just do your homework and try to go to a local match and see if you can try some out.

Come to think of it ... haven't seen one Anschutz at an Nrl22 match here. That's been about 20 so far

Definitely looks sweet, but I'm concerned that it may be too rear-heavy for optimal balance on a bag.
    BulletS:

I presume you mean a single bag? According to MPA site there will be both a single buttstock weight for the Matrix and I presume two weight for the forend, just like the MPA Competition chassis. So could tune the balance.

Rick

Come to think of it ... haven't seen one Anschutz at an Nrl22 match here. That's been about 20 so far
    I know. It's pretty sad there aren't more out there. They absolutely own the world of biathlon, and there are many in the world of smallbore and benchrest. NRL22 is next.

Come to the Championship. There will be a few there.

Reactions: 10ring1
    BulletS:

I presume you mean a single bag? According to MPA site there will be both a single buttstock weight for the Matrix and I presume two weight for the forend, just like the MPA Competition chassis. So could tune the balance.

Rick
    Yes, single bag, like balancing on a barricade. It's much easier to steady the sights when the rifle just wants to sit there.

Yes, adding weight to the front end should help overcome the rear mass. But, really, only the front of the 2 forearm weight locations will make a difference, as the ideal balance point is close to the rear forearm weight location. You could just hang a lot of barrel out the front, like a straight ~.900" out to 22 or 24". It's all doable.

Just saying that I believe it's best to start with less weight in the back.

Reactions: rick137
    Yes, single bag, like balancing on a barricade. It's much easier to steady the sights when the rifle just wants to sit there.

Yes, adding weight to the front end should help overcome the rear mass. But, really, only the front of the 2 forearm weight locations will make a difference, as the ideal balance point is close to the rear forearm weight location. You could just hang a lot of barrel out the front, like a straight ~.900" out to 22 or 24". It's all doable.

Just saying that I believe it's best to start with less weight in the back.
    Bullet S:

Thanks for the reply. Had never thought about the ideal balance point. Presumably it is different for different people and for different types of shooting. An amusing question with probably no practical significance. If the rifle is perfectly balanced then even a slight disturbance will cause a rotation of the rifle and therefore the barrel. So is the optimal a slight unbalance?

Rick

Reactions: BulletScientist
    We have 1 or 2 guys that run anshutz repeaters. They just don't have the support and are as expensive if not more so than a vudoo.

I'm looking forward to see how the B14R averages out. If they all shoot well then I can see dropping a barrelled action into a bravo with a bix & andy tac-sport. The poor mans vudoo, and realistically if it shoots 90% as well for 1/3 the price I'm ok with it.

Bullet S:

Thanks for the reply. Had never thought about the ideal balance point. Presumably it is different for different people and for different types of shooting. An amusing question with probably no practical significance. If the rifle is perfectly balanced then even a slight disturbance will cause a rotation of the rifle and therefore the barrel. So is the optimal a slight unbalance?

Rick
    Hi Rick. Good philosophical question on the balance thing. So, let's say your rifle was a tad unbalanced, towards the rear. It would be resistant to rotating forward, but would accelerate quickly rearward. So, you'd have to hold forward, to prevent rearward acceleration. I'm thinking about this like a spring, that you would be holding in a compressed/extended state. You have to be there to hold it, or it accelerates away from your point of aim.

Compare that to a system in balance. You are not needed to hold the point of aim. You move it on target, then it just sits. In the positional shooting world they call this natural point of aim.

At least that's where my mind is on it. I'm always open to new ways of thinking about things.

One easy way to test it is to tape some weight to the rifle and do some shooting or dry firing.

We have 1 or 2 guys that run anshutz repeaters. They just don't have the support and are as expensive if not more so than a vudoo.

I'm looking forward to see how the B14R averages out. If they all shoot well then I can see dropping a barrelled action into a bravo with a bix & andy tac-sport. The poor mans vudoo, and realistically if it shoots 90% as well for 1/3 the price I'm ok with it.
    I'll agree all day about the lack of support. But I have found that, at least the model 64's, can be had for much less than the Vudoos. $1800 gets you a pretty sweet rifle, with a superior trigger. Then, if it's not a top shooter, put $600 into a top shelf barrel and you're still under a Vudoo. But the whole journey is more work, as part compatibility is not as good, and guns are harder to come by. We just did one for my girlfriend were at $1500, not counting optics. Compared to $1800 for a Vudoo barreled action. I still think Vudoo is awesome, though.

What about Tikka, KRG Bravo, Timney, Bartlein? That might be a good dream build.

Yes, the Bergara, KRG Bravo, Tac Sport Pro might be another sweet option. I hear they are selling barreled actions. With a 22" barrel, the balance might be perfect.

Got my ultimate 22rf comp rifle alreadyView attachment 7252261View attachment 7252265!

Anschutz Fortner 1827F with a custom fitted steel mount on top.

Could have a heavier barrel but the rest is good. Done a lot of winning with this one.

Might have to consider adding a ARCA swiss rail so I can slide the bipod back and forth easy.
    She's a beaut!
    Yes, I think you'd like a heavier barrel.
    I considered an Arca rail, but so far I'm fine with the Anschutz rail. I can't move things on the clock, but can before the stage. Haven't moved my bipod in a year now. I just shoot so much from a bag, e.g., 55gal barrel upright.

Got my ultimate 22rf comp rifle alreadyView attachment 7252261View attachment 7252265!

Anschutz Fortner 1827F with a custom fitted steel mount on top.

Could have a heavier barrel but the rest is good. Done a lot of winning with this one.

Might have to consider adding a ARCA swiss rail so I can slide the bipod back and forth easy.

If you're ever thinking about getting a rubber butt pad, let me know. We just put one on my girlfriend's rifle. It had the offhand butt hook like yours.
    20200204_220009.jpg

For context, a 20" Kukri (.880 at the muzzle) in an MPA Comp with two front weights only is rear heavy still. It takes a CkyePod and a 12oz suppressor to balance it out on a bag. With a S&B PMII that comes out to about 20lbs. I'm going Heavy Palma @ 20" (.955" at muzzle) on my RimX to sit in the same chassis.
    Reub,

Great information. This brings up a good point about the location of added weight, as well as the desired total weight of the rig.

The further from the desired balance point (fulcrum of the lever) the weight is placed, the more effect the additional weight will have (leverage). In addition, the lower the total rig weight will be.

Which is why barrel weight is more effective than forearm weight, if total weight is of concern.

Not to mention the cost of adding all those forearm weights.

Lastly, benchrest guys are using long barrels. I haven't figured out the science as to why the longer barrels are helping make tiny groups, but it's always a safe bet to copy what the bench rest guys are doing.

Mine's a 22", and I notice no problems maneuvering in and out of the ladder. My centerfire has a 28" with a 7" suppressor. That makes 22" seem short.

Reactions: Shooter1960655
    And then to further convolute the discussion all the positional guys will tell you a shorter barrel will be more shootable due to dwell time
    Ha! Complex situation!

What about smallbore? What do they use? All they do is positional.

I've had some top tier PCP air rifles, some with longer barrels and some with shorter barrels, the ones with the shorter barrels are definitely more forgiving in postional. Pellets are only going 900 fps so they are in the barrel a long time.

My go-to is a 1st gen "long barreled" Mac1 USFT, and although for Field Target matches it's great in most ways it sucks for offhand compared to my wife's Gen2 carbine. Basically if I don't follow through I'm going to miss with mine. Even in sitting position using a harness I'll likely miss if I don't follow through.

Even easier to shoot offhand was my Steyr LG100. It had a 16" barrel and it had a fast lock time so it was very forgiving to shoot offhand. It had it's own problems though....

There's a new-ish rifle in the airgun world called a Thomas that is considered the best money can buy, it's $4000! A friend that owns one offered to let me shoot with him using all his stuff last Saturday. Oh yeah I took him up on the offer!! It had a Kahles 10-50 FT scope on top too. That's $7000 worth of PCP air rifle goodness represented, lol!!!! It has a short barrel, maybe 16 to 18", unsure.
    Uh, I ended up winning the match! That thing is super forgiving to shoot with one awesome trigger at 3oz, super accurate as well, it weighs the right amount for FT with perfect balance, and is superb in offhand - best I've felt so far! I only won by one point with a 46/48 and I'm guessing because I got 3 of the 4 on the harder than usual offhand lane, I squeaked out the victory.

My poor 15 year old USFT isn't "all that" anymore, lol.

The poor mans vudoo, and realistically if it shoots 90% as well for 1/3 the price I'm ok with it.

This is why I run a CZ 457 in a manners stock and with a bartlein barrel. My accuracy is on par with every Vudoo I've shot with and against, and for 1/2 the price. To me, if the perfect rifle is what offers the best 'bang for the buck', then I honestly believe my CZ is about as good as I can get.

The Bergara is right there with it though. Phenomenal rifle for the price. And, as you said, if it shoots even at 90% of a Vudoo, that's perfectly fine, as it's a fraction of the price. And not everyone has the ability to drop 4k on a rifle.

Reub,

Lastly, benchrest guys are using long barrels. I haven't figured out the science as to why the longer barrels are helping make tiny groups, but it's always a safe bet to copy what the bench rest guys are doing.

Benchrest guys are tuning for just one known distance, so using them as a precision standard for the NRL22/PRS games isn't an apples to apples comparison. They use a longer barrel because it's easier to tune with an adjustable external weight. Some light reading of barrel harmonics for benchrest tuning on 22lr with lots of graphs to try to make sense of it:

My benchrest gun does exactly what the last chart on the formentioned website shows, groups at 100yds are way worse with the tuner vs a bare barrel, but it is in the .0XX's at 50 yards with known good ammo.

As to Op's dream rifle, I did a lightweight rifle here : https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...-barrel-and-stock-build.6981016/#post-8275091

I'm in the middle of the following build:
    - Bergara B14r Barreled action (Steel bbl)
    - Grayboe Ridgeback stock
    - TriggerTech Diamond Flat
    - Nightforce NX8 4-32x50
    - EGW 30MOA mount

Depending on how it turns out, the wife will probably build the same with the carbon fiber barrel.

Reactions: Memberberries
    Also underway
    Tikka T1X 20"
    Woox Furiosa chassis-on order
    Athlon Cronus
    Leupold rings
    AO 30 moa rail
    Trigger spring

Dream build would add
    AO swept bolt handle w/ti knob
    Bix'n Andy trigger
    18" 1:14 5r SS bull barrel
    S&B PMII
    Canted rings to get max travel out of scope

Last edited:
    Reactions: Frankr
    Also underway
    Tikka T1X 20"
    Woox Furiosa chassis-on order
    Athlon Cronus
    Leupold rings
    AO 30 moa rail
    Trigger spring

Dream build would add
    AO swept bolt handle w/ti knob
    Bix'n Andy trigger
    18" SS bull barrel
    S&B PMII
    Canted rings to get max travel out of scope

I am interested to hear how that stock does. Looks neat

V22 18" MTU barrel in Cadex Lite Competition Chassis with PST GEN2 5-25x50 FFP MRAD EBR7C Reticle, TriggerTech Diamond, Atlas Bipod....it's heavy......

Now shopping for new glass....

20200703_124516.jpg

I was in the same boat, want that ACC but barre to short. Looking at the ESS Bc I want a folder and hate the knob in the side of the skeleton. I would think AL and MPA and well...everybody would take after MDT and use a dual pivot point and build into the frame seamless

The 6x5's show a pretty consistent showing of about .25-.3" at 50 yards, and about .7-.8" at 100 yards. I would say ammo like Midas+ and Eley Tenex are pretty consistent at it.
    6x5's are a great test, but we can cherry pick those results. We can't cherry pick on match day. Go straight into the next 10 x 10 shot groups, and we'd be hard pressed to find any 22LR capable of pulling 1/2 moa at 50 yards even 80% of the time.

What our guns can do on their best day is one thing, what they do on average day is another, but what they do on their worst day is what counts in a match when one errant miss can cost you the overall win.

6x5's are a great test, but we can cherry pick those results. We can't cherry pick on match day. Go straight into the next 10 x 10 shot groups, and we'd be hard pressed to find any 22LR capable of pulling 1/2 moa at 50 yards even 80% of the time.

What our guns can do on their best day is one thing, what they do on average day is another, but what they do on their worst day is what counts in a match when one errant miss can cost you the overall win.

Agree, though in a match they never really do 1/2 moa targets so it's not a concern. I'd say I'm pretty much sure 99% of my misses are me in NRL22 when I'm shooting Center-X.

Reactions: Badjujuu