• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dress Belt for Open Carry?

sawgunner2001

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
About to move from Patrol Officer to the Detectives division within our small department. Dress for detectives is currently business casual (with more emphasis on casual than business) so my riggers belt will work with khaki pants. However, our dress code is going to change to shirt/tie sooner rather than later and I want to be prepared with a good belt.

I "think" my issued sidearm is going to be a Glock 30 in a Serpa holster. The reason I think rather than know is because our new Chief is making some changes. Right now the detectives are carrying a hodgepodge of 9mm/40 cal pistols, but wants the detectives guns to be able to use magazines from a patrol officer's G21 in case of emergency. Once I find out for sure what sidearm I'll be issued, I'll probably find a nice leather holster for it rather than the Serpa (cause I like leather...especially in a "dress" situation).

All that being said...where do I start for a "dressy" leather belt that'll hold up my pants, a pistol, spare magazine, and set of handcuffs?

Thanks

Re: Dress Belt for Open Carry?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GTriever</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The Belt Man has just what you're looking for. I have a couple, and he'd be my go-to guy in the future. </div></div>

I can happily second this recommendation! I have an OLD cordovan horsehide belt from him, as well as a newer black horsehide belt that I wear frequently (less frequently on the Black belt now that I have a Del Fatti dress belt). They are perfect for supporting a full carry rig including holster/mag pouch/cuff pouch/phone, hold up extremely well to years of regular use, and are quality, US manufactured.

The only thing I can say is that you'll need to be careful when buying pants as the 1.5" belt (my preference for daily carry) will work with all jeans, all khakis that I have owned (Dockers, Haggar, Van Huesen), and all "cargo" type pants, but when you get into "dress" pants like those for a suit or similar pants, the belt loops can be too small/tight (won't hurt your belt/gear, but you'll go through pant belt loops like crazy).
wink.gif

I have two (black and brown) dress belts from Dillon Precision that I am very happy with. Have had them a few years now and they work well. I think Dillon changed their leather supplier recently but I would think like all of their products, it would be top quality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GTriever</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The Belt Man has just what you're looking for. I have a couple, and he'd be my go-to guy in the future. </div></div>

This and hard! Opt for the horsehide and stiffner as well.

I have two of his bullhide belts 1.75 & 1.25 with the stiffner. Gorgeous stuff.

DSC02753.jpg

Milt Sparks makes a nice belt - takes a while to get it. They put a pebble grain on mine and it looks great. I like the look of it better than a plain belt.

They can also do a belt in shark skin. The shark skin will out last cowhide.

+1 for Beltman

I have a beltman in cordovan with the taper and stiffener

I wear it everyday and I also carry a G30 in a Kramer OWB and a Bernieholster IWB

crossbreedholsters.com
They make the super tuck holster everyone raves about and also do belts. Lifetime warranty on the belts. Got a wrong size one as a gift so didn't get a chance to wear it but yeah it looked great. Black or brown, two layers of cowhide, recessed stitched crossgrain to each other. Shipped that one back and looking forward to getting the correct size back along with a new supertuck holster!

I have been running a beltman bekt almost every day for the last 2 1/2 years and wearing it shooting and to courses and it is holding up very well.

El Paso Saddlery makes some top notch holsters.

Thanks for all the suggestions, Gents. I've realized between a bunch of new clothes, belts(s), and holster(s), this is fixin' to be an expensive "promotion".

Thanks Again

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawgunner2001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the suggestions, Gents. I've realized between a bunch of new clothes, belts(s), and holster(s), this is fixin' to be an expensive "promotion".

Thanks Again </div></div>

Yeah...but the beauty of it is that if the Dept is requiring you to have certain "equipment" for use on the job, and they are further requiring you to buy the "equipment" (instead of providing/buying it for you), you can probably take advantage of that on your taxes for 2011. Talk to your tax pro, etc. and see what, if anything, you might be able to recoup from the expenses you put out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: misparkz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">crossbreedholsters.com
They make the super tuck holster everyone raves about and also do belts. Lifetime warranty on the belts. Got a wrong size one as a gift so didn't get a chance to wear it but yeah it looked great. Black or brown, two layers of cowhide, recessed stitched crossgrain to each other. Shipped that one back and looking forward to getting the correct size back along with a new supertuck holster! </div></div>

+1 on the Crossbreed belt. I have been wearing one with my Supertucked Glock 23 for a year and a half now. Still as good as day one.

+1 for Milt Sparks. I've been using mine for 2 years now and it is holding up very well. I've got it in black so I can wear it with suits or casual attire as needed. There is no visible wear on it and it's is very rigid thick to support all the weight I need. I use a riggers belt by Wilderness when I don't use the Milt Sparks belt and I believe the Milt Sparks is more sturdy platform.

I'e been using a double layer leather belt from Filson. Nicely made. And reasonable for what you get.

I have been in our bureau for 10 years, Robbery and now Homicide. I high recommend The Belt man. I use his 1 1/4" belts. It is small enough to fit dress pants, but has no real play in 1 1/2" holsters as it is thick.

Can I suggest thread on the belt accessories, nothing worse than pulling a mag and getting the clip on pouch, ask me how I know this.

Also, I use the ALS holster with the thread onto the belt (soft, as compared to the duty holster) belt loops. It is a secure yet fast holster.

Jack

Ive been wearing Mernickle belt , holster and mag carrier for about three years. Still looks as new as the day i bought it, just broke in well.

http://www.mernickleholsters.com/

theyll make anything from plain jane work gear to bbq handcarved gear

Tucker Gun Leather Latigo belt, 25% off right now and free shipping!!

Enter "FAST" into the comments box at checkout, they'll send you the right invoice amount on the confirmation. Make it like $59 shipped, just ordered one yesterday.