• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Drew a NM Barbary Sheep Tag!

Chesapeake

N/A
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2018
Montana
I drew a New Mexico Barbary sheep aka aoudad tag for this October in units 32, 34, 36, and 37. I’ve never hunted sheep of any kind nor hunted New Mexico but I have hunted Colorado for elk the last few years. Everyone I have talked to says “Get the best glass you can afford and some solid hiking boots!” I will be carrying a rifle so we will see how it goes. If you have any advice feel free to post or dm me.

Glass and glass some more, they are also one of the toughest animals there is. They do make for a memorable hunt and awesome trophy’s

Boots, backpack, glass and tripod. Get the boots now and start breaking them in. Having a backpack that carries weight well will make your life easier and good optics is a must with that hunt. You should have a chest bino(8x or 10x), and the group you’re in should have a 15x and spotter. It’s extra weight but you need the spotter to really be able to judge sheep properly and using 15x on a tripod you’ll be able to pick apart the landscape so much better than using your chest binos.

You will not be disappointed probably the best hunt I have ever done. Hunted 2 years in a row for a total of 6 days in the Davis Mountains of West TX. Spent all six days hiking and glassing. Saw two rams the first year but could not get close enough for a shot, they busted as soon as they saw us. The second year was able to connect on the final morning of the hunt at 300 yards with my 300 win mag. They are amazing animals and a lot of fun to chase. Best of luck to you!