• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

rickp

Sergeant
Minuteman
Drifting issue
One of the biggest issues I’ve always had while shooting the precision rifle is my slight right drift. As a left hander I have a tendency to shoot a bit low and to the right.

From what I’ve gathered this is a NPOA issue as well as trigger. In my case I think it’s more NPOA than trigger. In the last couple of days while shooting I noticed another tendency that might be causing this tendency. Again because I’m left handed is it possible that I’m pushing the stock of the rifle left with my head or the weight of my head by the way it sits on the stock (thus, causing the muzzle to drift right)? I’ve never heard of this issue in the past with any other shooter, so while I know anything is possible, is there a way to check for that? Can I photograph myself and look for any specific body details etc..

During my dry fire I really don’t notice any drift, so this has me a bit frustrated.
Thanks guys,
R.

Re: Drifting Issue

is this spin drift ....or moon drift....or corealis effect,....or are you using a progressive twist barrel......or ????

maybe canting the rifle, maybe crosshairs are slightly canted also. how much drift at what distance? wind?

try canting the rifle ever so slightly to the right and see if it corrects itself or gets worse, repeat canting it left.

Hey guys,
Sorry i didn't add that info. At 100y my rounds are impacting about 1/2 inch or so right and a little low from point of aim.

I thought about the canting as well but i don’t think that's it. I was consciously looking for that and making sure the crosshairs where level.

I'm going back out to the range today so I'll do some testing and see how the head weight pushing the stock might be the the issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rickp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At 100y my rounds are impacting about 1/2 inch or so right and a little low from point of aim.
</div></div>

Head position, pushing with the shoulder, grip position i.e. 'pulling' to the right with your grip, etc. Several things that might be going on. If its consistently (like every time) off 1/2 inch to one side... I'd just adjust the scope and be done with it. Whatever it is, you're doing it consistently, so not a huge worry.

I get the same .75-1.5moa drift depending on range to the right.
100yds is dead on and consistent. but moving out to 500 and 700yds I find myself drifting off to the right. My dry fire looks good though and looks solid on target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rickp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

During my dry fire I really don&#146;t notice any drift, so this has me a bit frustrated.
Thanks guys,
R.
</div></div>

When dry firing, recoil is absent. When live firing, the factors of a solid position must be consistent to assure recoil is predictable. Also, too often, when building the position, shooters will first attempt to establish a relationship between the sight and target. This promotes concentration on aim without regard for adjustment of NPA. The result is movement of the gun to NPA before the bullet has cleared the barrel.

BTW, I too shoot from the left shoulder, and I'm certain that although NPA and position consistency will effect recognition for where the barrel is pointed at bullet exit, the left, right, up, or down misplacement has mostly to do with the orientation of initial inconsistency.

Rick, no one mentioned this yet, but it's probably Tokyo drift.
laugh.gif

Seriously, I sometimes add .1 Mil left wind at 500 meters on a calm day: My shots sometimes drift right and a bit high as range increases. Some say it's spin drift, but it isn't: I know I am the one doing it. In my case it's probably trigger. But I notice that it happens more on my AE, on which I have the scope mounted low and the cheek piece all the way down, so I push down harder on the stock with my cheek. If I influence the rifle using muscle tension, and relax at the moment of firing like I do with a .50, then the shots drift toward my NPA (even with my .308).

Hmmm, I wonder why everyone is having trouble with rightward drift???? One would think that an equal amount would experience leftward drift if cant and issues with fundamentals were the only factors.

i shoot right handed and throw a few left. im thinking its inconsistant cheek weld or not enough rearward pressure on the stock