• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Driven-Boar-Rifle

Pete Lincoln

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
RH40-J ( customised Howa 1500)
Lothar Walther Stainless Select Match Grade- Super Magnum Sporter profile barrel.20" long. Helicaly Fluted.
Caliber: 9.3 RSM
Roedale Mag System. Accurate magazines WSM mag.

All metalwork TiAIN coated

what do you guys think of her.

driven_boar-1.jpg

Re: Driven-Boar-Rifle

That's going to clash terribly with a loden hunting coat, but oh well. Is the 9.3 rsm based on the .300 wsm? How does it compare ballistically to the x62 and x64? I'm an enormous fan of the 9.3 bullets for many hunting purposes, and love the ancient 9.3x62, but something with a little more range using that bullet might be very welcome. I've used a little mannlicher stocked x62 with good effect on the running piglets, but if I go over again for that purpose I'll put a red dot of some sort on it, no matter how non-traditional.
Best,
James

James, you find blaze ornge and cammo creeping into the Traditional Tutonic hunting these days,
That rifle wears a special eddition 1.5-6x42 S&B zenith. its a Designated Matrksman Scope, has BDC elevation and windage knobs, and a version of the FD7 reticle but with mildots. makes an excellent all round scope, and the 1.5x with the flash dot is as good as any red dot sight ive treid.

I am also a fan of the 9.3 bullets. and yes the 9.3RSM is nothing more than a 9.3 bullet in a .300WSM case. It works damn well. We are still developing loads and it is loadable some where between the 9.3x62 and 9.3x66 depending on which data / load.
We've put a 9.3 bullet in the following cases:

6mmBR Norma (lapua brass).
.308Win (lapua brass).
.300WSM (both Norma and Hornheber brass).
.338Lap Mag (lapua brass).

that particular rifle has a swap barrel in .450 marlin aswell.

Pete

Pete,
it looks really good! We see some blaze orange rifles here in Sweden as well these days. What stock are you using on that build?

Regards,
Henrik

And the flutes on the bolt are going the right way! I always wonder why people dont flute that way. If a flute is to get the crud out. You get alot more shear surface with the helix going against the cam action of the bolt not with it. I will be putting one on the lathe this week to do just that.

Jason

I hate the protruding mag catch. I may understand it in a tactical match race gun, but I doubt even those guys are in such a hurry to chance mags that they would risk dropping one by accident. And despite that, every other (tactical style) bottom metal has the protruding catch...

I'd probly also like a little more drop in the stock for more natural shouldering. Cannot say for sure w/o trying it out.

I agree that you need at least 42mm objective for an allround gun, but on a drive hunt gun I'd exchange it for 1-6x Swarowski Z6i.

Here are my drive hunting rifles. A mite more traditional, you might say
whistle.gif

Armes001.jpg

FN-Browning O/U in 9,3x74R

Blaser93fullview.jpg

Blaser R93 in 9,3x62

On these shores and as per today, the furthest blaze orange and fluo have made in inroad into hunting circles in on safety arm- and hatbands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jthyttin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hate the protruding mag catch. </div></div>

+1

Also<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: James in Wyoming</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's going to clash terribly with a loden hunting coat, </div></div>

+1....to me it's a bit like Merc and BMW deciding plastic laminated wood veneers look great in the AMG and M Power cars!!

But....beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The main point is that if it does the job, no problem

Here is my version of a dedicated piggy rifle. Old Ruger 77 in .35 Whelen with a 1.5x6 30mm and a #4 plex. The other side has a short section of rail for attaching a surefire for following up in the evenings. The stock was built with a little more drop in the belly and I can get six in the magazine. The barrel sits at 23" and I thought of dropping it to 20 but it has been fine so far.

35Whelen002JPG.jpg

Ha Ha,, yeah well the blaze orange is there to draw attention to the rifle at the IWA show, and when i'm on driven hunts it gets folk interested and into conversations that often end up in orders for custom rifles.

I was a bit aprihensive on the orange my self, usualy prefering tactical dull colours,
but i must say the rifle has grown on me in that colour, and the soft touch laq over the water transfer has an excellent feel, the stock was finnished by hydrographics near York in England, and they did a 110% job. And hey, its different !!

A lot of folk dont like the long mag catches, ours is a bit shorter than the Badger or AICS.
I like the catch as it is, it is easy to operate, is far enough from the trigger ( i have trigger guard safeties and mag catches, they are dangerouse)

and if one should desire the catch shorter,, hey hacksaw, file and touch up blue, 5mins work and you have a shorter mag catch.

Ive had to swap mags fast on a couple of driven hunts and that catch works a treat, even with gloves on.

I wish i had used a Manners MCS T, the stock is of the little seen a wild dog sporter variety. But id didn't unfortunately have a Tom stock spare, and the wild dog was spare.
It shoulders very well though,.
I will definately be working with Hydro Graphics on stocks in the future if the finish on that one is anything to go by,

Its a potent, hand little rifle, is exatly 1m long, i can get 4rds of 9.3 RSM or .450 marlin in the magazine and one up the spout,
with a spare mag that gives me 9rds in pretty short order.

The S&B FD scopes are the best optic ive come across for driven game, and ive treid about everything, the problem bieng, on a driven hunt, you never know where your stand will be, thick brust, maybe you can see 10-15m or on top of a tank berm, between 400m and 2800m in any direction,, the 1.5 gives you close range ability both eyes open, the 6x gives you adequate magnification for a longish shot,

To be honest though,. the best driven boar rifle is a marlin 1895.

Pete

Good Lord! That has to be the ugliest F...ing rifle I've ever seen in my life.

If I ate a case of missile pops, washed it down with anti-freeze and various colored glo-sticks, I still think I could put something better looking into the bottom of a toilet.

My god man, do you know how many years I've spent trying to convince other people that a rifle can look like a work of art? Then you come along to produce something that looks like it would win first place in a pumpkin vomit contest. Jesus Christ!

"it gets folk interested and into conversations that often end up in orders for custom rifles."

If one single person takes a look at that and thinks, Hmmm, I'd like to have one of those. I demand that you shoot that individual on site, along with any of their offspring within range!

BAAHAAHAAHAAHAA! Just had to get loose for a moment Pete.

-Peace

Pete, I love it apart from the helical flutes. I prefer straight flutes but that’s just my opinion. Put some battue sights on a straight fluted barrel and it would be perfect, QD rings with the Zenith and I would be in heaven! (The pigs would be in pig heaven also)

Awesome work

Craig

He S Me. LOL..

Craig, I bet we are the only stand at the IWA with helical flutes. I hope you like helical flutes on bolts mate....

Mr Humble, not a fan of hunting automatics, treid a benelli argo, used it one one hunt and got rid sharp, i do like military style semi autos, they handle much better but i figure turning up to a driven hunt with an AR 10 type rifle, chambered in 9.3x308 wouldn't get me many invites back,, ( as much as i'd live too)

so, back to the grindstone,

Pete

Pete, you must have semi-pistol grip on your 1895? I have a straight-stocked 1894 for subsonic work, and it shoulders awful (way too much drop). I'm templating on changing the stock into proper height semi-pistol grip, but it would take a lot of work since the loop would also have to be modified.

Benelli Argo, H&K SLB, and the Argo which is sold with some German brand (Merkel?) are awful also. They don't feed right, mag is POS, extractor doesn't work always when clearing the gun etc. They shoulder quite OK, though (must be the hunting type stock).

I don't like AR type rifles in drive hunts since they shoulder poorly, but I hunt occasionally with one of my FALs. As Pete said, you need to select your hunting companion with care...

BTW, I do like the no-BS design and looks of Pete's rifle. And I dislike anything inside the trigger guard in addition to trigger also. I just prefer a "protected" mag catch, like AR/Seekins or FAL/AK types. Pete's catch would be quite fine with a bit longer mag, I think...

I personally think that you all have missed the target here,

Pete, that is a nice "talk about stick",

and for the important question, how does it shoot, can you do the cooper shooting test with it? Does it/you pass.

I like it, color and all, wish I could have more rifles/guns over here in Sweden then I might get one of those but nooo.

Best regards Chris

I dont own a lever gun at the mo, i sold my 1895M for exactly that straight stocked problem,.
Its an easy enough job to sort out though. whats missing is a decent after market stock, ive been on a Hogue for years to make one for the 1895's, that overmolded rubber on a pistol gripped 1895 would make for a great combination,
Ive got a customers Wild West Guns version in .50 Alaskan here at the mo but am not convinced that the combination is right.

When i got all my shit sorted, like the last lick of paint on the workshop and the yard re paved, caught up with all my back orders, i'm gonna start on a few custom lever actions..

The rifle shoots well, we've not done enough accuracy work with the 9.3RSM yet, we settled on a load in the first attempt because it have sub 1/2 MOA, 5rd groups with the 286gr partition, ive hunted with the caliber more than been on the range with it. Ive yet top test the .450 marlin barrel i have for it.

Pete

Nice rifle Pete,
we should put an ultra light stock on it...
and you shoot.
Looking forward to handling it next week.

any pics of the other projects??

edi

Holy shit. I feel like I stumbled upon an international sight. Almost no Americans posting here.

That said, I love that rifle. Very different, but well built with top notch parts.

Range report? I understand it isnt made for shooting tiny groups, but nonetheless.

Semi auto Merkels, Benellis and Brownings dont feed? PURE BS. Owning all three and having at least 1000 rounds FROM the magazines of factory and reloads in 270 wcf, 30-06, 300 winmag, 338 win mag & 9.3x62, I have NEVER had a failure to feed and function. Work just as well as my U.S. Rifle caliber 30 M-1!!!!

Hydro 556, i think if you turned the clock back a couple hundred years, the guys posting on here would be aboard wooden ships heading westwards in search of a better life.. its good to see the truely international like minded patronage of this site eh..

Chris, good you gave me palpitations for a minute or two,

best hunting semi auto is, has been and will always be ( IMHO ) the Browning.
My Benelli Argo was a tempramental bitch,

driven game rifles are "in" here in Central Europe, because driven Boar is in, with 300% reproduction rate in the boar population "Druck Jagd" is becoming very popular.

hence the surge in attempts to corner the handy, fast to use, hard hitting rifle market.
Semi Auto's have become more acceptable on some hunts,
Blaser with its R93 had the upper hand for a while, but noticable is the trend back to more traditional operating systems i.e turn bolts, with the occasional lever gun and slug shooting 12guage slipping in, the whole issue has brought on driven game rifle technology if you like, with many re inventions of the wheel and some right abortions to boot.

any of you guys seen that god awful Krieghoff Semprio ?

me i use a bolt rifle because i build bolt rifles, but to be honest.. we are back to the Marlin 1895 when it comes to driven game, hence come this time next year you will probably see an 1895 all tacticalised, with a 4 rail picatinny fore-end, suppressor, bells and whistles and gadgets galore..

Pete

Mr. Humble, you may call it BS if you like, but Argos and SLBs don't feed properly. I said nothing about BAR, since it's not avail in 9.3x62. I use(d) both factory hunting ammo and reloads, with traditional exposed RN bullet design. I seem to recall that also RWS ammo failed to feed, although they had quite streamlined bullets (TIG, TUG, Kegelspitz, cannot remember).

Pete, I handled the Semprio at IWA a few years ago when it hit the market. I tried to discuss it's shortcomings with the Krieghoff offspring, but he was kind of blind-sided... IMHO the long action and counter-intuitive pump action makes it very error prone in hunting situations (typically hunters don't train too much, and this type of gun needs much practice).

This one is quite nice for drive hunt (cal 45-70), but it needs a new stock and trigger job. I developed loads for a friend, and am considering getting one myself but not until some other projects are finished:

http://www.baikalinc.ru/en/company/99.html

Remington sold the Baikals under Spartan brand for some time, but they seem to have discontinued them:

http://www.remington.com/library/history/firearm_models/centerfire/SPR22.asp

another option is to buy a Siamese Mauser rebarreled and chambered in .45-70

Here is 1 online now.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=124506940

pix804514796.jpg

pix804513687.jpg

Pinto's Guns has an even nicer one coming online:

"Almost" Exhibition grade wooden stock, Krieger .45-70 stainless steel fluted barrel, excellent Siamese Mauser action with Walter Birdsong Black-T finish

Company: Pinto's Guns
State: Washington
Phone: 253-691-0475
FFL Dealer: Yes
Return Policy: 3 days

"any of you guys seen that god awful Krieghoff Semprio ?"

Pete- I have I taken four test shots with it this fall on one of the game fairs,

1 shot jammed, operator error, then I had three shots during one lap with the running boar, all 4 and above.

The rifle can shoot however it´s a desk jockey solution to a non existant problem.

When "pumping" in reverse, jerking perhaps, one looses sight pic in the scope and unless one is using a red dot your lost for game and words.

This here is my solution.

IMAGE_424.jpg

Husqvarna dressed FN made M98 with Timney trigger, McM stock in grape, 9,2x62 with 250 grains AB or the new Oryx 325 grain bullet.

the longer barrels keeps the swing going when one is taking follow up shots on game.

Hard to improve on exellence.
wink.gif

Best regards Chris

I beg your pardon, jthyttin, the Browning BAR is available in 9,3x62 since a few years.

This being said and speaking for a country where drive hunting is the rule and where the BAR originates from, I can assure you that the fastest second shot comes out of a a double rifle.

No need to argue about an eventual third round capacity as -remember we're talking drive hunting and running shots- it will never be used in practice, considering that, most of the time, there will be no time for the second shot
frown.gif

Sangliercourant.jpg

A'int it strange how some stateside "experts" who never owned a Merkel or Benelli can tell you how they jam. Then there are those of us who actually own them and shoot them a lot and don't seem to have the problem. I think I have about 15 reviews of the Benelli from US and overseas magazines and NONE had any function problems whatsoever. My 300 winmag is even 100% reliable with full house NECK sized reloads. Another myth (the small base die BS) goes POOF!

benelli.jpg

Well The Krieghoff Semprio is truly something different.

This must be the most complete hunting gun I have ever tried. I do also own Blaser R8, Steyr Scout, Rem 700 , Benelli Argo R1 and some other bolts but nothing gets even close to the semprio.

Its just a shooting machine. The inline action works great, you are able to fire four rounds very fast (less than 2 sec) with full target control and with a detachable magazine and "real" take down you can hardly ask for more.

The one I tried (150 rounds) had a suppressor on it. made fast target acqusition very easy and I did shoot faster than with my Argo R1 due to less recoil.

For field use I dont think it could be better.

Paal