• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Driving to Alaska repeat.

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Obviously we're not going to make it this year but i saw a lot of interest for maybe next year. I'd want to do it and take one of Frank's classes. Anyone who's serious PM me and i'll start a list. I'm thinking leaving in late May or very early June? I have a good solid van but more than one vehicle would be a plus. At 73 I dodnt have a lot of years left here and this is a bucket list thing. Let me add, if youre seriously interested and think its something you might be able to do, dont just 'LIKE' shoot me a PM and we can start a group communication to see about working out details.

Last edited:
    What's the rules for traveling with firearms. That would be a deal breaker for me , I know I can fly there and rent a SUV and carry my 10mm.

Reactions: Maggot
    Man, VA to AK. That's a serious road trip. Good luck for sure, that sounds like a great time.

Interesting coincidence. I did more route planning this morning plus some research to decide whether to visit Glacier NP on the way to AK or when coming back. I am also interested in taking Frank's class.

I currently live very comfortably in a 36' diesel pusher RV while establishing a new homestead in Western NC. So, I'll just take the motor home on the road minus the items that are no bueno in Kanukistan. That will make packing for the trip fairly easy.

Last edited:
    Yeah what's the deal with firearms thru Canada. Don't want to end up in federal pound you politely in the ass prison

I'll tell you what I've been thinking about doing concerning traveling for hunts:

I'm thinking that I'm going to call a local ffl where I'm going, and ship them my complete rifle. Once I get there, I will show ID and pick it up. I'm willing to pay them a standard transfer fee on each end. So, for (let's call it $150 including shipping), my guns are waiting for me on either end of my trip with no issue. Then you can fly, which is way cheaper and saves days of travel.

What's the rules for traveling with firearms. That would be a deal breaker for me , I know I can fly there and rent a SUV and carry my 10mm.
    Can't speak for all states, but I have traveled from E TN to SE OR for sage rats in 2022 & 2023. Traveled to SD in 2018 as well. I packed 4 + rifles and related ammo for a varmint shoot in the bed of my truck equipped with a locking ABS tonneau cover. Clothes and other soft items packed around and on top of the rifles, ammo in ABS ammo crates. Tonneau cover was locked all the time except when we needed clothes out of the area. NO problems, but I avoided blue states if all possible, didn't go much over the speed limit unless needed to avoid getting run over. I have not been stopped for any reason by LEO, and did not have any issues overnight while parked in motel parking lots. Wife was traveling with me on all 3 trips so I didn't "slum it" at the motel level, we stayed at the HI Express, Best Western level of motels. I did not carry any handguns on these trips.

Okay . You got my attention . Uma gonna have to karunch some numbas . If we can do this legal this sounds like a good time .

Yeah what's the deal with firearms thru Canada. Don't want to end up in federal pound you politely in the ass prison
    Bolt and pump action rifles are no problem but must be declared. AR type rifles and handguns are restricted or prohibited by the crown.

Rules for travelers:

There is an option to obtain an Authorization To Transport (ATT) for restricted firearms like handguns or certain semi-auto long guns but I do not know how hard this is to get.

Last edited:
    Stripes.jpg

So Maggs . Which one you is ?

I just called the RCMP department responsible for the ATT and left message asking how US residents can legally transport a handgun like 10mm semiautomatic or 44mag revolver through CAN for wilderness hiking, etc. (Note that self defense against humanoids is not an acceptable reason for being armed in CAN). Will report on results as they precipitate.

Last edited:
    I could be wrong but I'd bet that if signed up for the class there's a way to ship them to yourself care of the Lodge or alternative so they dont have to go through FFLs.

I'll tell you what I've been thinking about doing concerning traveling for hunts:

I'm thinking that I'm going to call a local ffl where I'm going, and ship them my complete rifle. Once I get there, I will show ID and pick it up. I'm willing to pay them a standard transfer fee on each end. So, for (let's call it $150 including shipping), my guns are waiting for me on either end of my trip with no issue. Then you can fly, which is way cheaper and saves days of travel.
    The joy in in the journey not the destination, LOL.

For me the trip is at least half of the deal. I've always wanted to see the Yukon river, and Lake Leberge where Sam McGee was cremated. ;)

PM me to start an Alaska trip group.

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
    Can't speak for all states, but I have traveled from E TN to SE OR for sage rats in 2022 & 2023. Traveled to SD in 2018 as well. I packed 4 + rifles and related ammo for a varmint shoot in the bed of my truck equipped with a locking ABS tonneau cover. Clothes and other soft items packed around and on top of the rifles, ammo in ABS ammo crates. Tonneau cover was locked all the time except when we needed clothes out of the area. NO problems, but I avoided blue states if all possible, didn't go much over the speed limit unless needed to avoid getting run over. I have not been stopped for any reason by LEO, and did not have any issues overnight while parked in motel parking lots. Wife was traveling with me on all 3 trips so I didn't "slum it" at the motel level, we stayed at the HI Express, Best Western level of motels. I did not carry any handguns on these trips.
    Hand guns are ok as long as you follow the rules of the state. Most southern and sw states have reciprocal permits and are pretty easy. When I went through Ill I just unloaded it, locked the pistol in the trunk and the ammo in the back seat. The real key is simple. Dont get stopped and stay the fuck out of Kansas with out of state plates because you will get stopped. Going west looking for money to steal and east looking for dope to confiscate and steal your car. They are not subtle about it.

You can fly with your firearms no problem.