• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Driving to Florida to shoot steel

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    From Boston should take 3 hours.

Need some breakfast...must be a Christian breakfast.

Father, Son and Holy Ghost eggs with bacon...

image.jpg

And the Coffee is dripping

image.jpg

I hear those mountains in florida get a lot of snow.

My shooting position....

z8nP7Xel.jpg

First post set....longest shot....looking back to my mat on the hill...

pcLQY0cl.jpg

Second post I put a bit more in the open a little bit closer....

1krIs3Ul.jpg

Wind is pretty stiff from right to left...that is going to be my enemy. I never get to shoot in wind.

Things I forgot...

A brush saw

My wool pullover hoody. Would have been too heavy anyway I think. Its cold with the wind, probably high 30s for temp. Sun is strong though. Wearing a Filson Guide sweater and working up a sweat. Gonna gear down for the next walk down to hang steel.

Folding saw is more versatile, but if you have room for more gear a ratcheting pruner is really quick/handy. Surprising what they can cut.

Targets up....

Far one....

vfY4nOIl.jpg

Close one.....

Vgqd9MLl.jpg

Got a Rev A Magnetospeed light and a Rev B model.....so wish they had of just stuck with Rev A. Like the dip switches much better.

The only field impediments...

TdfL7lml.jpg

MY470otl.jpg

Reactions: Snipe260
    Went back to my mat to do some ranging through the scope.

By mils I came up with the far target at 595 yards and the close target at 545 yards.

By Bushnell ConX I got 545 yards to the far target and 504 yards to the closest. Painting the targets black in that background was not helpful.

On the top of the hill Kestrel was indicating wind at 7-10 mph right to left. I didnt take any readings in the middle of the field but the feel was much more. Engineer tape was straight out 3 to 9 but its so light its just telling me wind direction. Engineer tape on the targets was showing wind from 6 to 12.

Some people like track suits but you are not cool unless your smock and rifle are painted in matching camouflage.....

h41x7xml.jpg

Set my initial scope setting based on the Bushnell info. The Kestrel is kind of useless with the MST scope as its a BDC adjustment design. My first setting was 5/0 and I was going to hold the right edge of the plate for wind.

First shot was a miss so sad and no way to see splash.

I figured the right to left wind was strong so I added some windage shot 2 (miss), more windage shot 3 (miss). Shot 4 with 5/0 E, 3R W (Hit) followed by two more hits.

XllXlyFl.jpg

For the far target I started at 5/2 E, 3R W (Miss with splash low just left), Adjust more elevation 5/3 (Miss), adjust more elevation 5/3.5 (Miss). Look at fine adjust elevation knob and see that I was adjusting down not up.

Shot 4, 5, 6 once I swung the changes over to elevation up were hits. Setting 5/3 E, 3R W.

2fOWfCul.jpg

Looks like when I was fucking up the "fine adjust" elevation and dialing down I was hitting the T-Post. It was brand new. Now its not.

Still a little low added .5 fine adjust. went back and made consecutive hits than my friend that owns the land took some shots....

wyH2wXRl.jpg

He was getting consecutive hits at furthest distances he has ever shot.

rNGbFKRl.jpg

7RtcLmtl.jpg

We wrapped it up with 25 rounds for the morning and 16 hits.

Not fantastic but so much different what Im used to as the range wasnt an enclosed bowling alley.

Wind had a say.

Last edited:
    Went for a walk with his dog through the fields....

m5AcZP5l.jpg

Shot a K-22 pistol at steel

seNJ7w0l.jpg

Visited the camp site my son and I use every October....

bzZZLOml.jpg

No cows were hurt in this adventure....

Ysm5KxFl.jpg

We used to party like rock stars in this house back in high school days.

ducM2VSl.jpg

Thats the family ride.

Most people call it a Pilot not realizing the manufacturer actually meant it to be pronounced Pirot.

Last edited:
    Top notch sir!!

I have a nearly 2 hr drive to the range I prefer (low crowds) and understand the fun and getting up early to make that drive.
    The winds of the CO plains are stiff to say the least.
    last trip I tried shooting some ladder tests.
    Shooting position is exposed and the gusts were shaking my body around.
    I stopped and just plinked steel to 400.

Folding saw is more versatile, but if you have room for more gear a ratcheting pruner is really quick/handy. Surprising what they can cut.

Sven Saw.....Owned one of these for twenty years or more.....

1619218350646.png

No weight easy to pack, rips through small branches in seconds....bigger with a little sweat.

Nice spot

Is this public land or a range?

Private.

My friends family owns about 1000 total acres.

Most is forest. A brook on one side a river on the other, power lines to the east.

Stay within those bounds you should never get lost.

Ratcheting pruners are quite, if that ever matters.