• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Droid "Shooter" ballistic program

Re: Droid "Shooter" ballistic program

A ruler is sufficient. Center of bore sigh center of sight line. Doesn't to be exact to 3 decimal places.

Do you have a link to the program?

That app confuses the heck out of me. Time for some training.

RicosRevenge,

What are you confused about? I do plan to write a help doc for it soon... but is there anything I can clear up for you?

Yeah, I believe it is, and very soon (couple days to a week from now) it will get much better. A lot has changed.

I love the program. It's also great that seankndy is here and is so responsive to requests and questions.

I just got a Droid today, and so far I'm impressed with it. I've just began looking at the shooter program and it looks good so far. Let us know when to update it. Thanks for the app.

As a side note the tether program lets you connect to the internet through the Droid. It's nearly as fast as my satalite internet at it's best speed and a lot faster when it's slow. I'll try it for a couple of more weeks then bye-bye satalite...

It's good and gives similar values to Patagonia Loadbase, JBM, Precision Shooters Workbench FFS, Exbal, etc. for 308 ammunition to 1000 yards. Beyond 1000 yards these programs differ, but personally I think it is a moot point trying to get 308 beyond 1000 yards.

I just got a Droid and I have been playing with the program versus my fired-data. It seems to be very close.

I am trying to find a way to add a "correction factor" to get the data to match for future use. Any ideas?

I use the full version. If you plug in accurate data, temp, alt., etc., its balls on accurate. I used my droid at ASC. WITH GREAT RESULTS. It accurately gave me angle correction using its built in cosine indicator. I don't really trust the wind calls, but I have always done that off feel.

It's a bad ass program, but if your in the boonies, get a kestral. Shooter will automaticly download weather conditions, but it your out of network range, your on your own, hence getting the kestral.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Little Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got a Droid and I have been playing with the program versus my fired-data. It seems to be very close.

I am trying to find a way to add a "correction factor" to get the data to match for future use. Any ideas? </div></div>

You should not use the "Correction factor" input in the weapon profile for making your data match real world data, unless you know for a fact that your scopes adjustments values are non-standard.

This field should be used to correct for deviation from IPHY, Mil, or MOA standard adjustment values in the scope you are using.
This can be accomplished by checking the scope and noting devaitions:
http://www.arcanamavens.com/LBSFiles/Shooting/Downloads/ScopeChecking/
That is a link to one of Lindy's webpages describing many different checks you can do with your scope.

If the data is not matching your real-world data then there are piece(s) of information that have not been entered correctly in the program. You should run through all of your data and find the mistake.

The program is only as accurate as the data entered. You should only alter data that is known to be incorrect.

I have a question or two.

Does dope change if you are shooting prone vs shooting 36" higher on a bench?

Also, does it change if you have a 20MOA base vs 0MOA base?

Pretty sure I know the answer to both, but thought I would ask. I haven't run the numbers again today to hash it all out, but plan on shortly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a question or two.

Does dope change if you are shooting prone vs shooting 36" higher on a bench?

Pretty sure I know the answer to both, but thought I would ask. I haven't run the numbers again today to hash it all out, but plan on shortly.

</div></div>

Your rifle dont know or care its shooting from a different position. If your poi is changing, your doing something different.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

You'll have to re-zero if you go from a flat to a 20 MOA base, but your dope will not change.

Thanks Rafael! I bet youare correct that the weather data in my databook is not spot-on, so that is probably why my fired data is not matching the calculator. Junk in = Junk out.

Yes, sir!
I look at it as you just described: Junk-in = junk-out.

These programs can do wonderful things once we get all the data correct. The nice thing is they can also get you pretty close even if all data is not perfect.
They can be as accurate as we want them to be.....in proportion to how good we are at gathering good data.

But......they are not to be trusted until the data is proven in varying conditions. Real data must be utilized to tune things until it is close to perfect, allowing us to nail down where the inputs are wrong and get them corrected. At that point, the programs can be used to gain results to problems that do not share the "exact" same conditions as our real-world data...........this is where they really shine......the real reason they are so useful.

Real-world data is always better, but an estimate that is carefully derived with a tool like this is damned useful!

How do you pay for the full version? I have a work issue Droid so putting it on the phone bill is a no go.

if you have a google account, you link a credit card to it, it does not apply to the phone bill through Verizon, or what ever carrier you use, it bills you personally.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opeagle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you pay for the full version? I have a work issue Droid so putting it on the phone bill is a no go.</div></div>

Google account? Are you talking Gmail? If so I do have one I use as a pop account.

I'm going to try this out at NorCal this weekend. I'll post my review here when I get back.

I will also bring my Ipod Touch which has FTE on it and I have used that with pretty good results.

Respectfully,

--KJ

I just used this apparently on my phone...it was dead on the entire match. It was quick to use and having that GPS update ever few seconds was awesome. I used the bullet library and Litz's G7 and some other big words like Density Altitude, spin drift, and corialis. I don't really know what all those words mean but I hear some really good shooters using them in sentences so I figured I would give it a try. I used the target speed for the movers and it was right on and I went 80% for the three mover stages.

Sean, I don't know who you are...but this program rocks. I thought I was going to have to use my iPod touch at matches but now I can leave it and just bring my phone. Excellent job, dude.

Now if I can just convince somebody to offer a Droid with a wind meter...hahahaha...I'll be set.

Thanks again for working this app for us.

Respectfully,

KJ Drake

Kevin,

Save the data from Norcal and compare it to the iPod program using similar variables... give everyone an idea of how they compare.

If you have an iPhone...then use the apps available...I used the FTE on my itouch but it wasn't a phone...and I couldn't get online. So I can't really do a comparison from the field. I could compare numbers from my couch I guess...but then I wouldn't have hard data to compare.

I use Patagonia on my laptop...FTE on the itouch...and Shooter on my Droid. AT&T sucks out by me so I switched to Verizon...

I am not sure if this app is available for the iPhone...but if it was I would use it. I don't even know if there are other apps like this on the Droid. The OP was looking for a ballistic app for the Droid...this is the one to get as of right now.

Respectfully,

--KJ

Can't wait for my Nextel contract to expire at the end of June. I'll be heading directly to the Verizon store, purchasing a Droid, & downloading Shooter.

Does Shooter work with all Android phones? I'm planning on getting the Motorola, but my wife may end up with the new HTC Incredible. It'd be nice to have the app on both phones in case one goes down.

I have it installed on the Incredible. No issues. I do wish that the screen was more readable in bright light, but that's a hardware issue and not the program's fault.

Does anyone know if they have similar apps for the iPhone?

tag
I love FFS but is is quite tempting to have my dope on a GPS enabled phone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: terrance250</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't wait for my Nextel contract to expire at the end of June. I'll be heading directly to the Verizon store, purchasing a Droid, & downloading Shooter.

Does Shooter work with all Android phones? I'm planning on getting the Motorola, but my wife may end up with the new HTC Incredible. It'd be nice to have the app on both phones in case one goes down. </div></div>
If I recall correctly, the author said it will run on Android devices running Android version 1.6 or higher.
Of course, the individual device may or may not have the hardware to take advantage of every feature. Some examples may be the accelerometer(angle finder) and compass(azimuth) features.....but the program will still do everything else once you manually enter those items the phone does not generate automatically.

I am a Blackberry User but am going to pick up the new Sprint Android EVO 4g when available to use as a second phone but also for the Ballistics Program. I have only used the ATRAG programs because i shoot a Horus Reticle but will give this a try.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KJDrake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just used this apparently on my phone...it was dead on the entire match. It was quick to use and having that GPS update ever few seconds was awesome. I used the bullet library and Litz's G7 and some other big words like Density Altitude, spin drift, and corialis. I don't really know what all thosewords mean but I hear some really good shooters using them in sentences so I figured I would give it a try. I used the target speed for themovers and it was right on and I went 80% for the three mover stages.

Sean, I don't know who you are...but this program rocks. I thought I was going to have to use my iPod touch at Mathew but now I can leave it and just bring my phone. Excellent job, dude.

Now if I can just convince somebody to offer a Droid with a wind meter...hahahaha...I'll be set.

Thanks again for working this app for us.

Respectfully,

KJ Drake </div></div>

Thank you, KJ. The app has become what it is from users here giving their input. I also gotta give mention to Bryan Litz whom has been involved in the development of Shooter and has really helped out with the complex ballistics solving and making Shooter as accurate as it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mark5pt56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/tools/shooter-ballistics_fqyd.html?nav=related

Is this the latest? just got a Droid last night.

edited--down loaded it. Question is how do you save the data on the phone or do you not and input data "real time" with the current conditions?

Mark </div></div>

You add firearm profiles. Under each of those, you add ammo profiles. After you've done that, those profiles will always be there when you launch Shooter. You can select your firearm, then select your ammo, then you enter the shot-data (distance, atmosphere, etc).

You may edit/delete profiles by tap-and-holding the profile.

If you want weather populated automatically based on location, you can go into Preferences and enable auto-atmosphere.

I love shooter but just bought an hd2. does anyone know of any apps for windows mobile

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seankndy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mark5pt56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/tools/shooter-ballistics_fqyd.html?nav=related

Is this the latest? just got a Droid last night.

edited--down loaded it. Question is how do you save the data on the phone or do you not and input data "real time" with the current conditions?

Mark </div></div>

You add firearm profiles. Under each of those, you add ammo profiles. After you've done that, those profiles will always be there when you launch Shooter. You can select your firearm, then select your ammo, then you enter the shot-data (distance, atmosphere, etc).

You may edit/delete profiles by tap-and-holding the profile.

If you want weather populated automatically based on location, you can go into Preferences and enable auto-atmosphere. </div></div>

Ok, have the weather auto, cool and freaking amazing to me anyhow. The "look angle" is nice. I see where it changes due to current data, I was curious if it held "theory" for a reference, I know it's only "good" for those conditions. I did email one chart to myself, I guess I could make a chart for reference if I wanted as I did with exbal.

I'm new to this type of device. I appreciate the patience and time for answering. I downloaded the bar code reader and read the bar code of the screen when I got this
cool.gif

<span style="font-weight: bold">Oh, on the BHI 175 BTHP Match, do I use G1 as defaulted on the screen?</span>

Mark

Umm this is not in the market, and when I go to the link(s) above I only get the option to scan it, which takes me to the market. Is this program still available? Or is there somewhere else I can download it from?

Search in the market under all applications. Type in shooter, worked for me.

ETA: Found the answer to my question.

So far what I've used it, it's a really cool program.

Yes it does! I just installed it on my incredible and its great!
I do have a few questions or comments to make though. And it may be my ignorance as I haven't fulled with it a crazy bunch, but here goes. Are there preset muzzle velocities for factory ammo or do you enter everyone? Is there factory ammo presets to choose from say like federal 168gr smk or hornady 338 lapua and bam it's all there except atmospheric conditions? And if I'm missed this please someone tell me what I'm missing. Thanks!

Velocities are not included for a very good reason; they would not be correct anyway.

The author of the program would somehow have to predict the actual velocity of each factory load in each individual weapon......no two weapons will deliver the exact same velocity except with great coincidence. That was not his goal and I am pleased he did not attempt to force such a prediction on us.

This program is written to help collect some data, and to use that and user-verified data to deliver very accurate predictions of trajectory.

Start by gathering all other data on the weapon, sight, and conditions. Without correct data for these the results would not be reliable anyway.
When you have verified all other data, you can adjust velocity to match trajectory at various distances. At this point you will have a VERY accurate data set to use for future predictions. A chrono can help get you close, but field data will be superior, as always.

I agree with you and a very good point indeed, but would just be nice for a quick go to for reference on factory ammo. I've found out I've been able to hit paper pretty easy out to 800 yards and then fine tune from there. But yeah, no doubt would be crazy accurate if I had a chrono so I could record muzzle velocities from my guns I shoot. I love it when the bullet goes where you intend it to go first time.

That is fine, but I can tell you from my discussions with Sean that it was not his desire to provide a quick go-to for rough data.
One can find rough ballistics data from most of the ammo manufacturers on-line....... if that is the limit of ones goals.
Most manufacturers also give velocity data.

We are lucky to have the collection of BC data Sean gave us.
I am glad he left the velocities to us.
laugh.gif

if your phone can run this program...chances are you can look up the manufactures website online from the same phone...One of the things I like about this app is that it is very streamlined.

I don't have to go flipping through windows that arent needed and delay me getting to the page that I need. If you shoot matches chances are time is of the essence and even a few seconds can make a big difference in getting the right dope on your weapon.

--KJ

Just get An iPhone and ballistics FTE and you're good to go! LOL I'm ordering my 6th iPhone one the 15th they're te shiz! iPhone 4 dude!