• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Drone Experience, Anybody ?? Advice, Suggestions, Wigwamitis experience especially appreciated and sought.

j-huskey

Jafo / Instigator !
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2001
AL
none
So, if we wanted to buy a drone and thermal camera system to reduce the hog locating time,
WHAT WOULD WIGWAMITUS BUY ???

Anybody else want to chime in ?

Hi,

Why not get a drone that could not only reduce hog locating time but actually reduce the hog(s) lol...

Here is one from my last Ukraine visit that would work....

Sincerely,
Theis

20171011_123800 (002).jpg

@THEIS. I do like that.... and if I had a reliable source of little curved green things with collapsible feet, id use those too, instead of tannerite.... :- )
@redneck , feeding the 134 might get expensive. :- )

Right now we have a dji phantom 4. We are waiting on a flir spec mounting kit, and are undecided on the camera.

And I'm not the sharpest tack in the pack on drones and cameras... so, I ask.

"Smartest Brain ... " no no no ... If I am smartest brain I am smart enough to know I am not smartest brain !!! :D

==
I've been looking at DJI "pre-built" systems for a couple of years ...
Assuming funds are limited I would prioritize (in this order)
01 - Maximum time in air
02 - Spare batteries and other necessary spare parts, especially spare batteries
03 - Thermal capability

And yes, you want as much thermal capability you can get, but if you want AIRBORNE thermal, then you have to prioritize the AIRBORNE part. That is the point I am trying to make. So thermal capability is actually lower. Most hog hunters can ID a group of sounders by distribution and location without having to see the hairs on their snouts. A lone boar, by movement. Would a deer be standing their that long? Or a yote? Lone boars tougher, but not impossible with awful thermal. But the cost difference between an awful thermal and a good one is less than the cost difference between the longer loiter time DJIs and the shorter loiter time DJIs.

And disclaimer I am not a drone nerd (yet) ... BUT ... my only living BFF is a super drone nerd and he has been answering my question on this topic for the past 2 years ... and this is what is telling me ...
Loiter time is number one ... spare parts (especially batteries) is number two ... and thermal capability is number three.
And he comes out here and flies his drones and it is amazing ... with planning ... 90% of the flying is waypoint flying ... so the drone is flying itself. Of course the reason he does the racing drones is to train himself to fly the payload drones manually when required. So you spend 80% of your total flying time practicing to fly the payload drones 10% of the time :) ... at least that's how he does it. He's been flying drones about 5 years now,

And I would get DJI because every body else does ... my drone nerd buddy builds his own racing drones (3D print, etc.) but buys DJI drones for payload work.

Loiter time right now with the 4 is 30 minutes and we have 5 batteries. Not sure what the mount kit and camera weight will be or will do to current loiter time.

The fields are the same fields we've hit the past 5 years on the golf cart. 850 acres not in the same tract. We can hit 3 fields most nights within the hog window, but traveling between tracts and a 2-3 mile cart run in each field eats the window.

So, I ask here, and yes there are people down here running drones I can ask as well, and there is a helicopter deal running too..... 75 with a shotgun in a night..... but, some of those things aren't well suited for our neighborhood right now.

30 min for a P4 !? Wow, you must be turning at just above stall speed ! We're getting 22-24 ... but then we don't actually fly them till they fall out of the sky ...
Of course we were flying on my land in August and now is now and if cooler then air thicker so maybe less turns required to stay airborne, so you can run leaner.

You're going the route I would go ... though if I had more funds I'd look at the Matrice 600 ... might be able to squeeze 40m out of that one.

I have had my flir guy send me info, I have had ww's counterpart (in my neighborhood ) send me info, I have been sent other info, and now I am thoroughly confused.
I am going to look at all this sent stuff for a week or so and sleep on it. Eventually you guys will get to see it here, but for now, I am overloaded. Night all... :- )

@wigwamitus We were getting 31 minutes max, but we were using it at hover watching target at a mile and 2000 yards to spot hits. And we normally set it down about 28-29 minutes. But we did drop it a couple of times... :- ) older batteries cut run time too.

DJI advertises 35 minutes on the 200 and 600, but all that's in the mountain of info I got sent and am trying to digest.

Year b4 last we could see 60k in non damaged crops to 3 years ago.
Last year 90k... I think I can justify to tax man the higher cost of drone if all that cost is really worth it... yet to be detetmined.
Don't want to spend any more than I have to...... other toys are "needed" maybe :- )

Last edited:
As others have said - drones are about loiter time and payload cap. payload usually messes with your loiter pretty good. Loiter is affected highly by altitude - thinner air takes loiter time hard and fast.

FLIR is the big game in town for thermals airborne.

Most rigs like a phantom 4 don’t let you steer the thermal camera at all. but that can be no biggie.

@The King . Flir viewpro 640 19mm should be here pretty soon. No clue on how the mount will interface or interfere with the day camera on the phantom. Haven't seen the mount or a pic of it. Same people sending the camera are sending the mount. Demo....
We shall see said the blind people.

U ever get good health news ? Like u, im waiting on the next f'ing test.... crap has long since gotten old.

they upgraded me to a full body mri. going to hit it this week or next.

they are now thinking this could all be nerve damage from when i took a 556 round in the back. the plate stopped it but it damaged the rib cage between the spine and shoulder blade area. that in turn is causing all sorts of strange shit. we shall see.

i really wanted to see that view pro in action

Give enough time on view pro and I'll get a video up.
Best on the test. Know about nerve damage too, take a seizure pill every f'ing day to keep it napping.... never know what weird shit it's going to pull, there are weeks I have to take two a day to keep it napping, can suck, but there are worse things and I'm glad I don't have them. Again. Best to you.

A Freefly Alta 8 would be a good start for hauling a large payload. Most large UASs require a pilot and sensor operator, but I imagine there are GPS autopilot alternatives. If you don't care about portability or cost, the best solution I've thought of for this is to get a high performance fixed wing. You would most likely have to hire someone to build it for you, although there are some companies that make them. From my limited research I've found: http://www.ukrspecsystems.com/pd-1-3/. I think an ideal balance between loiter time, portability, and payload capacity could be built modeled after something like the RQ-11 Raven that the Army uses.

i have run a big fixed wing in this application. built a 2m job, thing was fucking huge.

Also frankly a bit terrifying in some ways. 60mph and 40 lbs is a whole different level of “your drone hit my house...and now my house is wrecked and my kids are dead”.

we did take it out to a massive grassland and flew it around the whole place. it made a 200mile circle successfully before landing.

i wrecked that thing a little every damn time we landed it.

it wasn’t pursued further as the quadcopters started to become excellent and safer alternatives.

A Freefly Alta 8 would be a good start for hauling a large payload. Most large UASs require a pilot and sensor operator, but I imagine there are GPS autopilot alternatives. If you don't care about portability or cost, the best solution I've thought of for this is to get a high performance fixed wing. You would most likely have to hire someone to build it for you, although there are some companies that make them. From my limited research I've found: http://www.ukrspecsystems.com/pd-1-3/. I think an ideal balance between loiter time, portability, and payload capacity could be built modeled after something like the RQ-11 Raven that the Army uses.

Getting a one ton, 16' trailer, 6 seater golf cart, 4 shooters, 5 rifles with thermals, hand helds, back packs, and all that junk operational at each field and reloaded after, makes the bigger drones a pita....

On the nights it's just two of us, the bigger drone would be a big pita.

Right now, we are going to try the phantom 4, flir mounting kit (I haven't seen or know anything about), and the flir view pro 640, which I do know something about.
Bud has phantom we've used shooting a mile plus to spot hits with and mount and camera are on the way.

My flir bud, suggests the dji m600 zenmuse option, at about 8k. B4 I pull that trigger, id like a bit more info on the system from somebody who knows, versus a salesperson... for an item that at best, two nights a week for 8 months.

We will look at tinytigers links, thank you, but a big fixed wing doesn't look like our answer. Too slow to mount out the whole deal and hit the pigs b4 everybody has to call it because of other employment later that morning. Farm ops daylight with no sleep can get pretty bloody. Btdt.

Last edited:
Fine job, guys, explaining it all in such fabulously great detail.

I bet the terrorists, foreign and domestic, are rubbing their hands in glee.

Get a handle on your OPSEC, people; and BTW, look up the legalities involved in flying armed drones, too.

I shouldn't even have to mention this stuff.

Greg

Normally - I would be much more high stress about opsec.

BUT - in this case OPFOR is WELL ahead of anything we are discussing here. They have already used weaponized drones in the GWOT, and nothing we are discussing here isn't in the civvy side marketing literature of several big companies.

However, if you DO have something really big under your cap please do think OPSEC before typing.

Get a handle on your OPSEC, people; and BTW, look up the legalities involved in flying armed drones, too.

Greg

Every single thing we are talking about here IS up on civvy side advertising, available both inside and outside the US. There are several novels written out there that detail weaponizing civvy drones and using them that put out WAY more dangerous information than we are discussing. Popular Mechanics is more detrimental than our discussion. BILLSHIT. greg....

This is a public site. If I can think it, so can folks who are a lot less friendly to this site. Yeah, yeah, your hands are clean, but what about the uninformed reader visiting here and looking for dirt to throw at the shooting community? A little cut and paste and soon we're all on the executioner's block.

Appearances are important, guys. The shooting community is vulnerable at all times, and especially these days. We're also drawing stares for unequivocally defending dubious 'enhancement' like bump stocks and arm braces that deliberately skirt the edge of legality. More of the same right here. When the axe falls, it'll be we ourselves who are swinging it.

Think about it; then think some more...

Greg

Last edited:
We aren't discussing anything not discussed on a hunting site, anything Jaegerpro or Hogrush hasn't posted video of , or national news hasn't presented a few times, about feral hog control.

I'll go a bit further and say, for anybody to cut and paste, to use against "us", fuck one and all, any stupid son of a bitch that wants to do stupid shit that interferes with my business profits and takes pussified political correctness offense at anything said, fuck them, fuck them, fuck them...
Absolutely no apologies from a very unrepentant not politically correct me.

Nowhere in here have I worked "flying an armed drone" , I am looking for the most cost effective option for locating crop damaging pests, to maximize farm profits.

Last edited:

Greg
Out of meds?

Reactions: RTH1800
The thing I have against the super popular DJI drones is that some Chinese company gets to tell you when and where you can fly it, and tries their best to get as much info back about where, when and how you are using it, probably pictures too if they can.

I eventually want to build up a good drone that can carry a decent camera / transmitter, but I'll want to have only local control on licence required frequencies with optical control /data cable spool for short range uncompressed 4K video transmission. None of this relying on somebody's app and wifi/internet to make it work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Badfinger
I'm truly sorry you chose to take this personally, Capt. Bill; you've been one of my icons. Up until this exchange. The profanity doesn't help, either.

And yes, you never mentioned armed drones or posted any pictures of them either; but such a picture is posted in this topic and is part and parcel of what you have chosen to defend, even using the first instances of profanity I can recall ever seeing you employ here. You represent yourself oddly, friend. The fact that drone marketing is a vested interest of yous is actually commendable, but this topic is probably not the best way to go about that. IMHO.

Hi,

Why not get a drone that could not only reduce hog locating time but actually reduce the hog(s) lol...

Here is one from my last Ukraine visit that would work....

Sincerely,
Theis

20171011_123800-002-jpg.6887830

And please correct me if armed drones are actually legal for any purpose under FAA rules. Personally, I think you guys are getting way out there, and entering a dubious area to be proposing and defending with such vehemence.

Making fun of my meds is sooo low...

Greg

Last edited:
I'm truly sorry you chose to take this personally, Capt. Bill; you've been one of my icons. Up until this exchange. The profanity doesn't help, either.

And yes, you never mentioned armed drones or posted any pictures of them either; but such a picture is posted in this topic and is part and parcel of what you have chosen to defend, even using the first instances of profanity I can recall ever seeing you employ here. You represent yourself oddly, friend. The fact that drone marketing is a vested interest of yous is actually commendable, but this topic is probably not the best way to go about that. IMHO.

And please correct me if armed drones are actually legal for any purpose under FAA rules. Personally, I think you guys are getting way out there, and entering a dubious area to be proposing and defending with such vehemence.

Making fun of my meds is sooo low...

Greg

Hey Greg,

I'm pretty sure 90% of this thread is basically just for fun. I wouldn't beat myself up over it.

@greg, no offense meant to you.

Reality is none of us in farmland here truly give a shit anymore about political correctness that gets into profits. And while nowhere near the stupidity of the Bundys, none of us are willing to back up any further, we have good lawyers and use them. 80% of my peers here have over 10mil invested, and there is a very different thought process involved, ie, "you want to do what to my 10mil investment??" "F'off"....
After income tax season and first of the year medical deductions, and what we pay out under the current bullshit, it's fair to say, we might speak a little more freely as we begin to face the newest bullshit hurdles unc throws at us yearly to take a bit more.
Every now and then the bully needs someone to slap the shit out of them, to remind them to go after a different animal.
That's all, just growling from my corner.

I think any worries about national security go out the window when you can buy the shit on amazon...

I'm still waiting for $2 free shipping chinese RPGs that SOMEHOW aren't part of a trade war with China.

Unfortunately, Amazon only sells those in Chicago and DC.

Indian Jim needs no drones. Come in from down wind and always have an egress plan. Rolling the dice with big monsters in the dark is no joke.

View pro 640 on phantom 4. Those few ounces pulled flight time to 18-20 minutes.
Thermal viewer ran out of power around 30 minutes.
Thermal viewer range b4 degradation of pic, 1000 yards. Got better resolution and id of game with handheld at that range.
Camera struggles at 300 feet.
Flir pic.jpg
IMG954224.jpg
IMG954223.jpg

Back to drawing board.

At 300 feet, deer didn't like the noise and fled field. Saw 30 or more.
Only saw two pigs, neither while drone was up. Next trip with a couple of mods or a different unit.

Last edited:
Reactions: wigwamitus
I have some advice/a request: give way to any man carrying aircraft, be mindful of your altitude near controlled airspace, and be sure to receive authorization if you plan to operate in controlled airspace!

A few years back, on my first solo away from the airport, I had a near miss with a drone. Didn't know that's what it was at the time, but after I'd landed and shut the helicopter down, a few instructors asked me which aircraft I was flying. They proceeded to tell me that some jack wagon had called the flight school to complain about me almost hitting their drone! A couple things:

1) Our path to the airport is at 550' AGL, confirmed with the use of an updated altimeter setting on a sensitive altimeter.

2) The even occured WELL within the 4nm radius of the Class D airspace.

3) ALL model aircraft are required to give way to man-carrying aircraft, regardless of location or altitude.

We all had a good laugh at the idiot's expense, and were disappointed that he didn't leave contact details so we could forward them to the FAA "on his behalf." :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, my point is that any manned aircraft always has the right of way. Period. I'm sure most here are smart enough to realize this, but I only ask to help preserve the safety of our airspace. ;)

We haven't had any aircraft crop damage yet, so, you are safe. But, if the state puts you on the crop damage permit, well....

Reactions: Basher
Own Inspire 2 Unit. Managed/stored with LEO Sniper (Ret) in FL. Have Part 107 UAS Rating also.
Much time spent on day camera, Thermal options - research. As you know, bring money. Payload reduces flight time, cold temp's reduce batt life and more. Thermal camera offerings and reviews prove pics you posted. No need for the excellent day camera options available now - but will in future. Waiting. Can refer you to several with experience down south.

Inspire 1, v2.0, zenmuse on gimbal mount. Swap btw zenmuse and day unit. Don't have any pics to post yet.

Other system posted no longer considered except phantom 4 used day only for other stuff.

Car.. ci.. noid.. not fun.
IMG954363.jpg

Last edited:
We've operated the Matrice M600 with day + thermal mounted for SAR purposes with excellent results. Full part 107 required for 24 hour flight needs. I imagine it would serve well to spot, track, and document "critter" movement on property and allow you to focus your ground efforts where needed. You're well into the ~$20k mark with supporting equipment/spare parts but that cost may very well be warranted/recouped if crop loses are high.

Enjoying the part 107 prep details. Not....

Pic posted above with said set up

Last edited:
We are looking at getting a couple drones at work for SAR, C3rash Recon, and SOT building clearing (think active shooter/barricaded subject). We can't use anything made by DJI due tongue proximity and restrictions to both a Nuke PLANT and LNG import/export plant. Military and federal government are off limits for DJI since they are effectively mapping everything for the Chinese.

We are looking at getting a couple drones at work for SAR, C3rash Recon, and SOT building clearing (think active shooter/barricaded subject). We can't use anything made by DJI due tongue proximity and restrictions to both a Nuke PLANT and LNG import/export plant. Military and federal government are off limits for DJI since they are effectively mapping everything for the Chinese.

There are ways to step around the cloud connectivity with DJI. The DoD is doing this now.

Reactions: 408w
Momentary Thread Hijack... @Basher makes a good point. Talking about things hitting an aircraft. If one of these drones connects with an aircraft the results would be devastating and possibly fatal.. This happened to me 8 years ago, a small bird, estimated to be about 4 lbs, at 200 knots. We found half of said bird inside. $300K in damage. The radome, radar and the first bulkhead had to be replaced. The radar dish itself was bent almost completely in half like a taco. Now imagine one of our helicopters with only a piece of lexan in front of the pilot vs a Phantom... Bad news

KA Bird Strike-2812.jpg246 Birdstrike-2816.jpg

Reactions: Basher